Riding to work

Bellboy1

This may have been done somewhere else, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

I bought a motorcycle mainly to get away for a couple hours on weekends and as a toy to just enjoy riding. I found I liked it so much I'm looking for new and additional ways to ride during the week. Today I rode to work for the first time. My first time in real urban traffic (although I went early enough to miss most of the rush) and it was still 98% exhileration and 2% terror. I had forgotten about traffic circles on my route since I normally use the free way to get to work. New and exciting experince for a newb to run through those as people are trying get to work. My heart was pounding as I went through, but I had a grin from ear to ear when I walked into work.

How many folks ride to work as opposed to just have fun cruising on their bikes?

I ride 480 to 77 around Cleveland when I ride to work, and catch a mess at the 480/71 exchange on the way home. It had gotten hairy a couple times. Spending 45 minutes on the slab isn't exactly fun, but it's better than some days stuck in my truck, not to mention a lot better on gas. And the more I do it, the less I enjoy it, as far as just to work.

I ride to work every chance I get, when i go to my office. It's a nice hour ride from Marysville to Reynoldsburg. The trip home is much more relaxed and usually includes at least one detour to extend the ride.

I commute on the bike, but not all the time. I work till late at night, so that adds some danger (deer & drunks), so I'm hypervigilant. I have an 80 mile round trip commute, so it's nice when the weather's good or I'm feeling it....when it gets shitty out, not so much. I try never to ride when I'm feeling shitty.

I avoid heavy traffic as best I can....it's where I have the least amount of control and I generally don't enjoy riding when I'm in it. Being ass-end charlie at a stopped light is especially worrisome, so I installed hyperlite brake LED's and tend to sit off of the side of the car in front of me and watch my six. Don't get complacent there...it's REAL easy for some dipshit to roll up and not see you...crushing you as you sit idling. I'll even lane split if it's possible...don't much care about the law on that, I'd rather be safe than avoid a small ticket.

Also, when approaching a car turning left in front of you or about to, or one maybe pulling out into your lane, wiggle back and forth in your lane - side to side. This movement is unnatural in traffic and breaks up your profile....a single point of light/motion coming at a motorist can appear to be the wrong distance or even disappear if you're lined up with traffic just right. Wiggling in your lane will make you MUCH more visible. This is a very effective tactic that few people teach or practice but can save your life.

If you doubt it, have someone do it coming at you on a bike and see what I mean...it jumps out at you.

• Upvote 1

I've had several more experinced folks warn me about riding when other stuff is on my mind. Seems like sound advice.

I'd been told to position to lane split if you need a quick escape. I watched my mirrors pretty close at intersections but I probably still wasn't in the best position to do that if needed. I do have bright LED's installed in all my signals and brake lights.

New info on the wiggling.

Also, when approaching a car turning left in front of you or about to, or one maybe pulling out into your lane, wiggle back and forth in your lane - side to side. This movement is unnatural in traffic and breaks up your profile....a single point of light/motion coming at a motorist can appear to be the wrong distance or even disappear if you're lined up with traffic just right. Wiggling in your lane will make you MUCH more visible. This is a very effective tactic that few people teach or practice but can save your life.

If you doubt it, have someone do it coming at you on a bike and see what I mean...it jumps out at you.

I'd never heard that, and that sounds like pretty solid advice. Learn something new every day. Emailing this to some friends of mine.

good lookin' out.

I ride to work most nights (weather permitting) and I work 3rd shift. I typically avoid riding in on Friday nights though as I am leery of being on the road the same time as those leaving happy hour. I also take a "back" route in lieu of my normal freeway route and I've been riding for a few years. Not a big freeway rider anyway as it isn't as enjoyable. With gas prices as they are, I may ride in more often.

I ride to work when I can. Like wednesdays and every other fri/sat. Those are the days when I dont have my son, when I have him I'd rather not drive my truck drop him off, go back to the house, ride a 13min ride to work, to leave work drop the bike off then pick him up.

once hes older I will all the time!

I've been riding religiously for the last couple of weeks. It is usually nice in the evening and freaking cold in the mornings. It was in the upper 30's this morning, but is was still a great ride with proper gear.

Just saying hi to Bellboy and my old bike. I used to ride that bike to work, when I worked:p.

I should have also mentioned to you that flashing your brake light when coming to a stop and while you are stopped can help cars behind you see you.

Pretty much everyday that's not icy, too cold, wet or if there's a T storm. Cold's a relative thing depending on your gear, bike and tolerance, rain OTOH when it's cold is just downright miserable and I avoid it as much as possible.

Right now my tolerance level is about mid 30's for my half hour trek to work and if it's rainy, mid 50's.

I'd never heard that, and that sounds like pretty solid advice. Learn something new every day. Emailing this to some friends of mine.

good lookin' out.

I learned that in the Ohio MSF course, not in those exact words, but the idea

of changing up your pattern randomly and occasionally to prevent the

"dragonfly" effect on peoples vision when they see you coming.

I was riding nearly every office day, but yesterday new ground was broken. My job requires me to visit service sites all over the state. Dress clothes including business suits are the appropriate attire. Since I bought my saddle bags and tail bag, I can comfortably tote a sport coat/suit coat, shoes, wet washcloth, and brush. So yesterday, I road up to my Marion site for the first half of the day, and then to Pickerington. Today, I did west Columbus, to Lebanon, to Newark, to home. Threw on the overpants and gear and hit the freeways. Not a single one of my employees knew that I rode it as planned. I really didn't want to put on a show. Freeways don't bother me any more. I kind of like everyone moving in the same direction without fear of grandma making a left in front of me.

Wow, that's great C-bus. For now, I think I'll build into the daily ride. Ride home was a bit hectic tonight. Experinced my first tailgater as soon as I pulled out of the work lot. Did Roxy's brake flashing thing which helped, but real answer was to switch lanes as soon as I could and pull away. I didn't get a chance to try the wiggling thing tonight. Little by little. I'm impressed at how many people ride all the time.

I had someone pull out in front of me on the way home. It was about a mile up the road from home. The funny thing is that it's a back road, with almost no traffic! I gave him the pissed off long horn blowing as I nearly came to a stop as he realized what he was doing and backed up. Then I looked back after I passed.

Moral of the story, PEOPLE DON'T WATCH FOR OTHER CARS, LET ALONE BIKES!