How Long Before Your Bike SAVES You Money?

redkow97

I was talking to my coworker about his FZ6R, and he claims "it pays for itself" in fuel savings over his F150 4x4.

I whipped up the following to illustrate exactly how long it's going to be before he actually saves a dime... This is without factoring in any interest paid on a financed bike.

You can put your own numbers in the shaded boxes and calculate how many miles you have to ride your bike and park your cage for the bike to actually be a money saving proposition.

this is relatively simple, and obviously does not count for every variable. It also assumes that the cost of gas will remain constant for the entire time you're riding. Estimate an average. I think it still gives a good general idea of how many miles you need to rack up.

the numbers currently entered are basic figures for my old EX500 and my 4.0 liter ranger.

the biggest flaw in the calculator is that as you figure in the number of years required to cover the given distance, it multiplies your insurance, and adds to the mileage you need to cover. It's entirely possible that some people will not ride enough miles to even cover their yearly cost of insurance, thus they will NEVER be able to put a high enough figure in B17. You may add a year, and then the mileage increases to the point that you need to add another year. You're in a catch-22 where the bike is never going to be a break-even proposition.

*** I should add up-front that every mile counted needs to be traveled on the bike INSTEAD of taking your car/truck.

Pleasure rides obviously don't save you money. The equation takes cost per mile for both vehicles, and then subtracts the difference to get 'savings per mile.'

If anyone is wondering, the average driver puts about 13,000 miles a year on their vehicle.

I think the statement "the bike pays for itself" isn't quite as broad as you interpret it. For most, if taking the car to work for the week costs you $200 and taking the bike for the week cost you $75, they see that as they just saved $125 that week.

Yeah, it's hard to explain to people that the savings on gas you get with a bike gets eaten up by other expenses. I tell them it's a matter of preference first and possible savings second.

My bike gets less mpg than my car. Car 43-49 my bike 35-43 mpg. But the stress relief of the bike is a lot cheaper than "happy ending" massages so my bike pays for itself also.

My bike gets less mpg than my car. Car 43-49 my bike 35-43 mpg. But the stress relief of the bike is a lot cheaper than "happy ending" massages so my bike pays for itself also.

43-49 mpg , what car are you driving ??

I was happy with my VW gettingme 26-30 mpg , now i feel different.

Please don't say a prius, I mean you can make fun of me and my 250 but a Prius is like 10 times worse lol

Riding can't be reduced to economic equations. The primary advantages are intangible, the economic benefits are just a positive side effect.

Wow! As much as I hate to rep you, I think I might have to for that one!

get out of here with your scooter grandma :p

:nono:

I saved money when I bought the bike. I continue to save money by not buying stuff for the bike.

I saved money when I bought the car. I continue to save money by not buying stuff for the car.

Speaking of... anybody have a set of front brakes' date=' rotors and calipers lying around for a 1996 Subaru Outback? I need some, but buying them goes against my fiscal conservatism.[/quote']

:nono: Quit being a tight wad and fix your brakes. We know how much you like commuting on the bike. :rolleyes:

She drives a Prius. Oops! I mean HE. :lol:

Exactly zero, even if I just used it for commuting when I would otherwise take the v8 tank, I spend in tires what I save in fuel.

The dune buggy is a different story, it saves me money just sitting in the driveway, and saves me bonus cash when I drive it.

he does in-fact drive a prius :D

but having a sweet bike makes up for a gay car

that and paying $50 a week in gas instead of $150 like some of us

yes its a prius, yes the bike counters the gheyness of the prius. Bought it used for $10,000. I just have an issue with putting money in a potential terrorists pocket. $50 a week? Hahaha try $25-$35 a week. So :thefinger: to all the haters!

I ran these calculations for fun when I got back into riding. No win scenario. Can't be done. Even worse when buying bits and pieces for the bike and clothing and gear.

But... when I realized that I can't smoke cigarettes while riding, the calculations come out a winner, bike beats car easily. If I would quit buying those extra parts and stuff and just ride it till it drops. Granted that I have fairly cheap bike insurance.

My opinion, is that most people won't even come close, unless they give up the car or truck altogether. It's difficult to get on and ride on a cold or wet morning. And that's what you have to do to make it pay off.

edit: as the gas prices continue to go up, the formula should shift in favor of the bike.

I'm going to have to check, but the up geared red 919 seems to be getting about 55mpg in the city. Didn't expect that.

edit: nope, last tank full got 44mpg. Normal, nothing special.

Edited by ReconRat

if you save $125 that week - thats $500 a month.... insurance you figure 20-30 a month, if you have a payment say 200-300 ....still coming out ahead every month

It takes a LOT of miles to save anywhere near $125 a week. Your example is totally unrealistic.

Even with gas at $5/gallon, if your truck gets 15mpg and your bike gets 60mpg, you're only saving $.25 per mile.

$125/$.25 = 500 miles a week. A normal week for me (commuting and other errands) is under 200 miles. I'm probably on the low end, but you have to more than double my driving to even get close to losing $0.

The only way to actually save money is some combination of at least 2 of the following variables:

- gas prices go up a LOT (increasing your savings per mile)

- having a really long commute (increasing the multiplier for the savings per mile)

- having a dirt-cheap bike (making your deficit to get back to $0 spent small)

- the bike saving you money in some form other than MPG (i.e. free parking)