What kind of oil would you recommend?

gidet

I'm a little lost on this whole oil thing, even though I shouldn't be. I know how to change the oil in a car and am going to be taught how to do it for my motorcycle tomorrow but I'm at a loss at to what type to use...

I have a 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R with a little over 5,000 miles on it and am getting mixed reports as to what brand/type to use. One website says to use Shell Rotella T6, which is "made" for diesel truck but supposedly good for Ninjas and another website says to use 5W-40 or 5W-50.

I'd great appreciate any advice you guys can give me!

-I am also changing the oil filter so if you have any recommendations for that I'd love to hear them-

Thanks! :)

Edited by gidet

It's a 250, you can run about anything in there. Personally I'd use 10W40 4 cylinder oil like Valvoline. As for an oil filter K&N if you feel rich but again anything will work.

Purolator PureOne filter and Amsoil oil in the weight your manual calls for. Be forewarned you may have openEd Pandora's box. Oil threads are numerous and opinions twice as numerous. Have fun learning to work on your bike, it will make you a happier owner.

It's a 250, you can run about anything in there. Personally I'd use 10W40 4 cylinder oil like Valvoline. As for an oil filter K&N if you feel rich but again anything will work.

thats what i just used in my ninja, the only thing that sucks is that you cant get the big 5 quart jug of it and the little 1 quart ones cost like 10 bux a piece :/

Purolator PureOne filter and Amsoil oil in the weight your manual calls for. Be forewarned you may have openEd Pandora's box. Oil threads are numerous and opinions twice as numerous. Have fun learning to work on your bike, it will make you a happier owner.

True.

The thing you want to watch out for is any oil that says "Energy Conserving" in the little API circle on the back label or somewhere on the bottle. Those are friction reducing lubricants that are great for a car engine, but terrible for the clutch discs in your bike.

Really it comes down to cost and availability. Rotella is cheap, and works reasonably well, and Autozone has Valvoline motorcycle oil on sale until the 30th of May for $1.99 a bottle.

This forum is here to answer these type of questions.

Never feel scared to ask. Some keyboard commando with cats and a Harley will prolly spout off about "oooohhh noooooeeezz it's another oil thread" or "use the search function"

But just ignore her and ask what you need to.

Please continue.

• Upvote 1

I've seen (and smelled) what Shell Rotella does in a diesel engine. I would NOT want that in a bike.

:wtf: Rotella has been awesome in everything I've seen that uses it regularly. I run Rotella in my Interceptor with great results.

Back to the 250. I run the Valvoline 10W40 Motorcycle Oil in mine, and I use a Wix (Carquest or Napa) filter. It's worked out well so far! I don't see much point in spending the big bux (1.85$ or more) for synthetic in it.

thats what i just used in my ninja, the only thing that sucks is that you cant get the big 5 quart jug of it and the little 1 quart ones cost like 10 bux a piece :/

$10? Where you buying oil? Iron pony is expensive for store brand oil. Try mejiers or auto zone. Just my humble opinion, spending big $$$ for oil in a non high performance bike is a waste of money. Regular 3000 mile oil changes for normal riding and more often for dusty or wet conditions will serve your bike better.;)

Thank you everyone for your inputs and recommendations.

Really it comes down to cost and availability. Rotella is cheap, and works reasonably well, and Autozone has Valvoline motorcycle oil on sale until the 30th of May for $1.99 a bottle.

Thanks, I'm always looking for a sale/deal! :p

I'll have to make a stop to Autozone tomorrow to check out their wares and maybe stock up because it's so cheap.

Have fun learning to work on your bike, it will make you a happier owner.

Learning how to do an oil change and change the filter is just a start. I will, hopefully, one day be able to take care of my bike without the aide of anyone. Just thinking about being able to do that does indeed make me happy.

This forum is here to answer these type of questions.

Never feel scared to ask. Some keyboard commando with cats and a Harley will prolly spout off about "oooohhh noooooeeezz it's another oil thread" or "use the search function"

But just ignore her and ask what you need to.

Please continue.

Thanks for the encouragement. It's good to know that I have a place to go if I ever have a question about my motorcycle since I'm still a n00b. :)

$10? Where you buying oil? Iron pony is expensive for store brand oil. Try mejiers or auto zone. Just my humble opinion, spending big $$$ for oil in a non high performance bike is a waste of money. Regular 3000 mile oil changes for normal riding and more often for dusty or wet conditions will serve your bike better.;)

Advanced auto parts, I thought I was high but I just figured that's what 10w40 costs for some reason lol

Also, it is full synthetic cuz I heard that's what you wanna use after the first 3000 miles and it was actually $8.50 not 10 lol

And if you wanna know anything about the ninja check out ninja250.org

Edited by JStump

Advanced auto parts, I thought I was high but I just figured that's what 10w40 costs for some reason lol

Unless you are using synthetic $10 is more than twice what Valv 10W40 4 cycle oil costs. I do like the Amsoil in my KTM and just started using Mobil Synth 4 Cycle in the Vstrom. But the V had 20W50 Valvoline of the first 29,000 miles with perfect running.:D

Unless you are using synthetic $10 is more than twice what Valv 10W40 4 cycle oil costs. I do like the Amsoil in my KTM and just started using Mobil Synth 4 Cycle in the Vstrom. But the V had 20W50 Valvoline of the first 29,000 miles with perfect running.:D

It is synthetic

Everything you ever wanted to know about motorcycle oil.

http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=17360

When in doubt, use what is listed in your user manual that came with the bike.

Or what is listed in your bike's service manual.

Edited by ReconRat