article in washington post about "squids" lol

serpentracer

I do think Maryland is a helmet state. Which would explain the mention of "gear." Although, so many people think that Mechanix Wear Impact Gloves are appropriate riding gear.

I LOVE my Mechanix impact gloves!

:nono: I'd rather have a law requiring me to wear a helmet than have my head split open on the pavement without wearing one. Just sayin

Amen. That's why I'm also glad they put all those "No CCW" signs up -- because that stops everyone from carrying in those places.

It'd be so easy to get rid of gays too, we'd just outlaw it. That'll stop the sodomy for sure.

Every state should be.....

Negative. I think not wearing a helmet is stupid but it is not the government's responsibility or right to interfere with my choice. Me not wearing a helmet has no impact on you wearing one, or not. I do not need a law to tell me that hitting the ground at 65mph with a helmet gives me a better chance of surviving than had I not been wearing one.

I do think Maryland is a helmet state. Which would explain the mention of "gear." Although, so many people think that Mechanix Wear Impact Gloves are appropriate riding gear.

They're not?

Every state should be.....

:popcorn:

:nono: I'd rather have a law requiring me to wear a helmet than have my head split open on the pavement without wearing one. Just sayin

Survival of the fittest. You and I are smart enough to wear our helmets without it being mandated. You cannot legislate common sense.

Negative. I think not wearing a helmet is stupid but it is not the government's responsibility or right to interfere with my choice. Me not wearing a helmet has no impact on you wearing one, or not. I do not need a law to tell me that hitting the ground at 65mph with a helmet gives me a better chance of surviving than had I not been wearing one.

Insurance premiums rebuttal incoming... :rolleyes:

Had a giggle today... Saw a couple on sport bikes (young male and young female, seperate bikes) and notices they had helmets on. Good! Then I notices they both had tank tops, shorts and sneakers. No gloves.

I thought; "At least the helmet will keep them alive long enough to enjoy the road rash cleanup process..."

I'm through arguing about gear. Your body, your choice. My body, my choice. You want to ride around butt-naked? I don't care, won't affect me. Just don't ask me to feel sorry for you when the nurse is scrubbing gravel out our skin with a wire brush.

I was talking to a friend at work that's new to riding that's been down once before at low speed (last year his first year riding). He had some minor road rash from a slow lay down. He said he was glad his year being required to wear a helmet was up he's tired of wearing one. I asked why and the answer was "I don't know it isn't cool". I then told him I prefer to wear full gear my lay down last year has me sold on it. He said well I went down an it wasn't that bad. I reminded him that he was slowing down and stopping for a red light when HE wiped out. I pointed out that he may not have time to slow down before crashing. He kinda shrugged it off. Then I asked him to run full speed and dive head first in the grass. He said no. I asked why he was willing to risk sliding on concrete 10 times faster but won't do it on grass. He stated you have a point.

Wait until southern Ohio gets a load of the scooter gang about to invade their area, they may even bring out the helicopters from so many complaints of all the awesome riding we are going to be doing. I wouldn't be surprised if we run into some inbred in a red pickup wielding a tire iron.

Amen. That's why I'm also glad they put all those "No CCW" signs up -- because that stops everyone from carrying in those places.

It'd be so easy to get rid of gays too, we'd just outlaw it. That'll stop the sodomy for sure.

Leave the red herrings in the sea.

While we'd all like to run around the country doing whatever we'd like, that would end in anarchy. You can have your freedom so long as it doesn't infringe on anyone else's freedom. Every time a motorcyclist dies because they weren't wearing a helmet, or rides recklessly on the freeway, or does anything that Joe and Jane Cage think is dangerous. We all get a bad reputation.

Helmets save lives, and if we pushed for Ohio to be a helmet state, then we as riders, would be able to negotiate the terms of that law. Making it a useful law for all the parties involved. As opposed to JRMMiii's attempt to outlaw homosexuality, which doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

It wouldn't be difficult to spot a rider without a helmet, and it wouldn't be difficult to enforce. If those idiots are dumb enough to try and run from the cops without a helmet, then it is survival of the fittest at that point.

Edited by dorifto240

I wonder if the novice helmet restriction has a negative effect in that it is sort of a status symbol to be able to ride without one, i.e. "I'm not new at this."

Hmm...I never thought about that before. Make sense though. I remember making a similar comment after my year was up. Although I still wore mine. :)

The only gear I'm sporting on that ride is a Trojan' date=' a pistol and some weed.[/quote']

What kind of holster will you be using? You may need to add a belt to that ensemble or do you have one of them fancy clip on holsters for your balls that all the real thugs are talking about?

Although I choose to wear a helmet I love my right not to. I'm sorry but I don't believe I should be limited by the government of this nation I love when it comes to personal choices that don't directly affect others rights. I believe a bar/restaurant owners should have the choice of if patrons can smoke or not. Don't like it go elsewhere. I believe if I'm driving my car I should have the right to wear my seat belt or not. Why should I be able to get shit faced drunk but not stoned? A government should never out power its constituents.

Although I choose to wear a helmet I love my right not to. I'm sorry but I don't believe I should be limited by the government of this nation I love when it comes to personal choices that don't directly affect others rights. I believe a bar/restaurant owners should have the choice of if patrons can smoke or not. Don't like it go elsewhere. I believe if I'm driving my car I should have the right to wear my seat belt or not. Why should I be able to get shit faced drunk but not stoned? A government should never out power its constituents.

I agree. same with the seat belt bullshit. but the smoking shit does bother and hurt other people. besides, it's just frigging annoying.

but I don't see why a bar is included with restaurants. I expect smoke in a bar, but I don't want to smell it while I'm eating.

Edited by serpentracer

Wait until southern Ohio gets a load of the scooter gang about to invade their area, they may even bring out the helicopters from so many complaints of all the awesome riding we are going to be doing. I wouldn't be surprised if we run into some inbred in a red pickup wielding a tire iron.

Remember no wheelies or stoppies. You do not want scare the townsfolk down there. Don't need another well written article about squids.