ideas for a new bike

scottie.harris

Here in a couple weeks I'm gonna be bike shopping, but I'm not really set on any bike in particular. I'm not sure what to get and figured id see what the wise men say...

The things I'm looking for in a bike is...

-decently comfortable, cbr didn't bother me.

-Cheap parts, Ducatis are sexy but im not paying $500 for a bolt :D

-sporty, but not an touring like fj1300.

-I drag race so it should be fairly fast.

-Fuel injection a must.

What's your experiences on bikes, what do you recommend. I would pick up a ducati 848 that I can't get my mind off, but it goes against #1 and #2. Just curious what's the 848 like in terms of maintenance and reliability?

Edited by scottie.harris

I only race like once or twice a year, but this is why I kinda sorta wanna stay away from the ducati. I'd be to chicken shit to race it and drag racing it is like eating cereal with a fork.

The hayabusa fits it perfect but i would like a lower insurance bill and im trying to be smarter in terms of moving up from a katana.

Im just looking for ideas, as far as the heli bars i didn't even think of that, but i don't know how these bike hold up for mileage.

I track my 848 , did 60 track days last 2 years.maintenance is same as on jap bikes.most stuff you can do yourself. Every 7500 miles you need adjust valves.oil change 3000 miles.you can get 08 848 for $ 8000.look on ducati spot forum sell section

I put 9k miles on the katana last year so id be doing a valve adjustment yearly, how much that cost for a ducati?

I would prefer a Japanese bike, not really a triumph guy. The only non map bike id really consider is the 848.

Casper..... Funny but I have a scooter.

If you only drag race twice a year why would that take the 848 out of the running? Your making a bike decision based on maybe a few minutes of seat time. The 848 is tits and I wouldn't hesitate if I was shopping for a new bike.

The V4 is the soul of the bike. You know how sporty v twins have great mid range torque but top out at around 9-10K? And that inlines kinda miss something in the midrange but come alive if you rev it with red line at 13 - 14K?

The viffer engine is the blend of the 2, wide tractable power mid to top, and with a top end hit too. - If that isnt enuff juice, theres a supercharger kit that will put in on par with liter bikes.

That's a tough question..... when asked by a guy who doesn't like VFRs or triumphs but looks at a Katana and says "I'm gonna kick that bitch sideways on my way home from the strip". ;)

Just messing... there are plenty of solid bikes on this forum that I don't care for.

FTR' date=' I just performed a 7500 mile service on a Ducati 848. Adjusted 3 valves. Parts/labor were less than $600, including transporting the bike from Cleveland.

Getting ready to service a CBR600RR, and it's costing the owner $400, plus parts. (he is getting fork service, plugs, valve service and TCC tensioner adjustment)[/quote']

dont tell me things like this, I want a pearl white 848 soooo bad and I know where there is one for sale!

VFR is not my taste... Your second post sounds like you sparked an interest in the 848 as well.

:lol: its the same thing as a katana but better in every way imaginable

i've always loved the 848. I've always wanted one. I cannot justify spending 8k for one to basically be a garage queen because I'm afraid to ride it

If you want a bike to drag get a big bore bike (ZX14, Hayabusa, CBR XX, etc..) just don't do something stupid and kill yourself. If you want a good all around comfortable bike look at something more along the lines of a Z1000, Z750s (I love mine), FZ1, VFR, etc.

:lol: its the same thing as a katana but better in every way imaginable

i've always loved the 848. I've always wanted one. I cannot justify spending 8k for one to basically be a garage queen because I'm afraid to ride it

I only got the katana BC it was in near mint condition with 11k miles for $1800 I actually made money selling it minus maintenance. that's the same reason I don't want the 848 cus id be afraid of wrecking it.

Drewgt-reason I say not to the busa is BC insurance and I'm trying to be sensible coming off a katana. I can control myself that's not a problem, and its still a possibility im just trying to be smart about it.

• Upvote 1

I only got the katana BC it was in near mint condition with 11k miles for $1800 I actually made money selling it minus maintenance. that's the same reason I don't want the 848 cus id be afraid of wrecking it.

Drewgt-reason I say not to the busa is BC insurance and I'm trying to be sensible coming off a katana. I can control myself that's not a problem, and its still a possibility im just trying to be smart about it.

There is track 848 for sale at ducati spot for $ 6000,so where did you get the bike is expensive?