How annoyed would you be?

Scruit

how is it that you automatically jump to conclusions that the problem is systemic and not just the failure of the single person at the front desk to deliver the money?

Well if the director stated they weren't aware he had no lunch then obviously they are not paying close enough attention to those kids and someones head should roll.

its plausible they saw him eating some of that girl's food and thought that he had lunch. idk

i mean, yeah it sucks. it was a mistake and a crappy situation. but it seems like everyone here is ready to go grab pitchforks and torches because of what is a mistake. its easy to see how it could happen. its not like they did this maliciously. im sure they feel bad about it too.

if this really pisses you off that much, there are hungry kids ALL OVER THE PLACE. lots of them dont get to have a meal when they go home. lots dont even have homes.

why dont we take this rage and direct it somewhere that can actually make a difference? maybe its just easier to rage OTI instead of actually doing something IRL.....

Edited by John

its plausible they saw him eating some of that girl's food and thought that he had lunch... idk.

They said that. Apparently the girl stepped up right away so once the pizza was doled out all the kids were eating. Had he been sitting there with *nothing* then they;d have noticed.

I'm not out for blood here - I just want to try to make sure it doesn't happen again. It's a simple breakdown of information flow that can be fixed by the changes they are making to their policies.

Edited by Scruit

They said that. Apparently the girl stepped up right away so once the pizza was doled out all the kids were eating. Had he been sitting there with *nothing* then they;d have noticed.

I'm not out for blood here - I just want to try to make sure it doesn't happen again. It's a simple breakdown of information flow that can be fixed by the changes they are making to their policies.

I applaude your for handling this the way you did. Had then been me, the camp director would have been pissing like a puppy after i came unglued on them. The underly problem with this and the majority of issues any more is that people lack common fucking sense or are so affraid to step on foot outside of the process they are told for fear of being sued that they cannot function when a curve is thrown at them. The unfortunate thing is that probably isn't the first time nor will it be the last time. Lip service is great but in reality that's all it is. I wonder how many pieces of pizza were left over that the pizza nazi's ate for free. That little girl did an amazing thing and I hope her parents know that.

You change your processes and policies to make sure it can't happen again. Pizza day has come and gone and they can't retroactively feed him, but they CAN make sure it never happens again, to any child.

Yea, I'm sure they got right on that.:rolleyes: It'll never happen to YOUR kid again, because its done and over with. They told you want you wanted to hear as a parent, and said they're sorry. That's all they really have to ever do, no real repercussions for their improper handling of this event.

Yea, I'm sure they got right on that.:rolleyes: It'll never happen to YOUR kid again, because its done and over with. They told you want you wanted to hear as a parent, and said they're sorry. That's all they really have to ever do, no real repercussions for their improper handling of this event.

Not always. Do it to the wrong parent and somebody gets fired. Either the worker that did it or the boss. Or both. All the rest of us get those apologies that mean nothing.

If they did call a meeting over it, they are serious enough to shape the troops to a better set of social skills. No one is perfect, and we're all human. Most of us anyway. Forgiveness is appropriate, but they really should have checked and fed junior something. I would have out of my own pocket. But that's just me.

I think you handled it very well, im an assistant scout master and eagle scout in the largest BSA troop east of the rockies (kettering!) and when we take the kids to summer camp its quite the ordeal (350+ scouts ages 12-17) not to mention the other troops out there. when some thing goes wrong and there is any chance of child neglect or abuse at any level we launch an internal investigation and heads roll. so (at least when it comes to kids) working through the system does sometimes work

..but at the same time, it's heartwarming to hear of another child giving up half her lunch for a kid she doens't know. :)

Had a long talk with my boy this morning about pay-it-forward.

Well, my Mom taught me to not let another go hungry. If she thought there would be some one there like that, she'd give me lunch money for two. I wish more of the world was like that.

That was fine till the day I bought the toxic hot dogs for me and the other kid...

THIS is why I don't go in all-guns-blazing...

More details emerge... There was not a line that he was turned away from... The kids all sat down to lunch (whether they ordered pizza or not) and names were called from the sign-up sheet (only the names marked as 'paid' were called out. His name was not marked as paid)

After the pizza was handed out etc they checked all the kids and they all had food (because the girl gave my son a slice of pizza) so they didn't realize he had no other food.

So it was a simple clerical mistake, and there was no "denying" of food - they just didn't call him up to get his pizza.

So we used this as a learning experience:

1) Grown-ups sometime make mistakes

2) If he thinks he should get something and doesn't, speak up, ask why not

3) Pay it forward

4) There are two sides to every story

5) The first step to complaining to trying to understand - keep an open mind and don't yell and scream about something that may not have even happened.

6) A 7-year-old's recollection of NOT having pizza is much more traumatic then the real event

I wouldn't worry about it, maybe a dirty pirate hooker will share some blow with him so he won't go hungry. Then, he'll call that pizza place, they'll apologize and tell him it that they'll never cause another adult to go hungry looking for hookers and blow in the dark night.

• 1 month later...

Reviving this thread to add this...

So the girl who shared her pizza with him left the camp soon after so my boy never got a chance to pay her back for the pizza. :(

When he and I were talking about how nice the girl was in sharing her pizza, I told that I hoped he would do the same if the tables were turned.

Well I just found out that during this week's Pizza day one kid forgot his money so my boy shared his pizza with that boy. Proud daddy right here. :D