Moto Series - Nelson Ledges - August 5-8

APCh8r

John, I'm sure you feel like I do, I want to know what type of bus hit me. Any time on the help, I don't mind. I just wanted a few good sesions on friday and I got them right off the bat. You looked really good in the race, just a few spots to really work on and the teens will be there. It wasn't the riding for 3 days that made you feel like you stayed in prison it was all the guys you were banging in the showers.

Also, next time you don't have to move over when someone is going by. I have a better shot if I know where you are going rather than you moving in some different direction. Granted you just moved further out of my way but just in case you are getting split by two people.

Wish I could have hit a 16 in the race but I guess a 17 flat will have to do. I know when Brian came by me towards the end I wanted to follow him into 12 & 13 but I was so beat I was having a hard time keeping my mind into what I was doing let alone trying to see what he was doing.

At least I'm getting somewhat quicker and the fast guys are laping me later and later in the race.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyler, did you stop over to the OR banner bro? I didn't see ya if so. I was on the Red/Yellow GSXR 600 #539. I heard you were there, but I was in race school and Andrew gets a tad long winded at times, plus it was 1 on 1 work all day and I really learned a ton.

Friday's up there are AWESOME by the way, if anyone can make 1/2 days or what not to get up there after work, do it! 65bux split into 2 sessions now, and we got I think 5 sessions in before someone went down in the Caresoul. Jinu, hope you are okay buddy, you looked ok, heard your ankle was a bit bad, but the bike, well just get some zip ties bro.

Took 3 seconds off my times Friday following Craig around, thank you Craig for the tow, basically all night. It was really nice of you to take your time to help me out, plus you ran a 1.16.

Saturday was HOTT, my leathers have sweat marks all over and so does my seat. But race school was great, I didn't shave any time of IN school, but I learned a lot. I had 2 moments in the kink, but that was about it. Good day rode HARD. Mock starts are awesome, I got several people on the second and third, then got passed I am sure by all of them lol.

Sunday, wasn't going to race....... Did, so glad I did. No idea what my bank account looks like, but oh well, the experience was worth it. Took about another 1.5 seconds off my time, I was still LAST, I admitted it, but I only got lapped twice by KTM Brian, and tried to follow his line a few times through the caresoul to pick up the pace, but my god is he fast. Both clean passes and no worries there.

I learned a lot this weekend, can't wait to get back out and on the grid. The highlight of my weekend was saying I gridded 1 row behind KTM Brian, even if he did lap me twice. I could've used a little ass slap when he went around the second time, but that's okay.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out this weekend; Brandon, thanks for letting borrow the scooter, next time I want the HOG. Craig, thanks for everything man, not sure where to start there. Nick, you looked good man, keep your head high bro, and your lines definitely improved over last time I was there with ya. You'r right there man! Joe, hope your bike gets running soon, just a lot of bad luck there. May wanna try to run some more open days, and don't be afraid to ask for Mentors more often, I know having 1 on 1 track school helped me a lot.

Riding 3 days in a row, makes me feel like I just stayed my first night in prison.....

I will echo Craig's comments on how you looked. You were smooth and predictable and there wasn't a single time in practice or the races that you made ANY erratic or weird changes or moves. That means a ton more than a fast lap in my mind.

Lap times are silly sometimes. The idea is to become a better rider and the speed will follow. You and Craig were awesome as I can fully trust to be as close to you in mid turn as anyone I have ever been around and feel secure you won't overreact or make some strange change to cause an issue.

I liked what I saw in terms of body position and how you were running through the turns. Head was good and the speed was consistent.

Great job to both you and Craig.

Next time, I'll slap your leg or something, but in the past, I did that once and the guy ran off the track as he wasn't expecting it and he thought he clipped me! I don't usually do that anymore...:D

Thanks Brian. When I started racing I really worked on holding a line and hitting my marks every lap just because I know the faster guys will be going by.

One of these days I hope to be able to follow you (maybe when you get old and slow down).

Thanks Brian, and ya, may not wanna give me a pat on the leg yet, still a little fresh and I might wet myself.

But that is my main thing is just holding the line and trying to be a predictable and safe rider. I had no idea how much more I would learn in the race through the laps, but it was unreal.

Thanks Brian, and ya, may not wanna give me a pat on the leg yet, still a little fresh and I might wet myself.

But that is my main thing is just holding the line and trying to be a predictable and safe rider. I had no idea how much more I would learn in the race through the laps, but it was unreal.

That's the next step after track days. Guys are always wanting to try racing, but are somewhat worried about the racing vs track days. The first time is probably the scariest and once it is over and you get it under your belt, the learning curve is so much faster than track days, you won't believe it!

I remember my first race weekend. I was an aggressive and decent street rider and thought racing was going to be easy. I was blown away and even told my dad that I probably should quit and not do it. He told me he'd do whatever I wanted, but thought I should at least try it. That was 1994...;)

Thanks Brian. When I started racing I really worked on holding a line and hitting my marks every lap just because I know the faster guys will be going by.

One of these days I hope to be able to follow you (maybe when you get old and slow down).

Trust me, man... I'm old!! I feel better on a bike than ever before, but I am slower!:D

what kind of tires, and what pace at Nelson?

I hate seeing people spend money on equipment instead of seat time unless they really need the better rubber. Track riding is expensive enough without buying more tire than you can use.

Don't know the pace, I don't have a timer. Bridgestone Battleaxe 020's. Both Todd and the Bridgestone tire guy (not sure of his name) said they're a problem. I was getting very slippery after about 12-15 minutes of riding. I got a tow behind Bill (don't know his last name, he's one of the racers and rides a red/white SV) and even he said I probably shouldn't try going any faster on them.

More opinions are welcome on this. I can get by on what I have, but would like to progress.

Tyler, did you stop over to the OR banner bro? I didn't see ya if so. I was on the Red/Yellow GSXR 600 #539. I heard you were there, but I was in race school and Andrew gets a tad long winded at times, plus it was 1 on 1 work all day and I really learned a ton.

I never ended up stopping by, I was pretty busy with the classroom and what not between sessions. I walked around for a few minutes at lunch but I sat in the truck with the air conditioning on the rest of the time. Where were you setup at?

Don't know the pace, I don't have a timer. Bridgestone Battleaxe 020's. Both Todd and the Bridgestone tire guy (not sure of his name) said they're a problem. I was getting very slippery after about 12-15 minutes of riding. I got a tow behind Bill (don't know his last name, he's one of the racers and rides a red/white SV) and even he said I probably shouldn't try going any faster on them.

More opinions are welcome on this. I can get by on what I have, but would like to progress.

what kind of pressures were you running? I don't know my Bridgestones at all, but I'm guessing that's a sport-touring compound.

If people in the know are watching you and telling you that it's time to get better rubber, then yeah, upgrade.

As a temporary fix, you might be able to run slightly higher pressures (32 front and rear?) to keep them from flexing as much. They might stay cooler a bit longer.

How attached are you to bridgestones? I know I pimp the Q2's like I get commission or something, but I've seen them for like $210 a set in SV sizes, and the amount of grip you get for that price-point is insane...

I just cringe when I see guys in your position say, "I was overheating my street tires, so I went out and bought $300 warmers, a $300 generator, and a $380 set of the new R10's!"

there is a definite intermediate step that you can (and should) go through at least 4-6 trackdays (figure 1 rear at a good pace) on a more aggressive street tire before you'll be able to reap and appreciate the benefits of a DOT race tire.

***Edit

Looking at Bridgestone's site, you might want to try the 003 model. Their chart isn't bad.

http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/category/index.html

Edited by redkow97

Yeah man, what he said, don't just jump on races/warmers/genny, that would be a waste right now. I stepped up from my Bridgestones that were on the bike, B16 I think, to Pures and love them. Im running good times, not having issues, and definitely would buy another set, more for track days next season, then maybe step to race tires and warmers for races, BUT that would be further down the season next year.

Plus race tires are $$$$$.

what kind of pressures were you running? I don't know my Bridgestones at all, but I'm guessing that's a sport-touring compound.

If people in the know are watching you and telling you that it's time to get better rubber, then yeah, upgrade.

As a temporary fix, you might be able to run slightly higher pressures (32 front and rear?) to keep them from flexing as much. They might stay cooler a bit longer.

How attached are you to bridgestones? I know I pimp the Q2's like I get commission or something, but I've seen them for like $210 a set in SV sizes, and the amount of grip you get for that price-point is insane...

I just cringe when I see guys in your position say, "I was overheating my street tires, so I went out and bought $300 warmers, a $300 generator, and a $380 set of the new R10's!"

there is a definite intermediate step that you can (and should) go through at least 4-6 trackdays (figure 1 rear at a good pace) on a more aggressive street tire before you'll be able to reap and appreciate the benefits of a DOT race tire.

***Edit

Looking at Bridgestone's site, you might want to try the 003 model. Their chart isn't bad.

http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/category/index.html

Yeah man, what he said, don't just jump on races/warmers/genny, that would be a waste right now. I stepped up from my Bridgestones that were on the bike, B16 I think, to Pures and love them. Im running good times, not having issues, and definitely would buy another set, more for track days next season, then maybe step to race tires and warmers for races, BUT that would be further down the season next year.

Plus race tires are $$$$$.

I definitely am not ready for race tires and warmers. I only want something with more grip for trackdays. Warmers are way off, if ever.

What I have now is a sport/touring compound, and the bike sees only a little street use. I'm not attached to the tires by any means, they can go on my street bike if nothing else.

I may try higher pressure as a stop-gap. I just don't want to make them too hard for fear I'll lose my contact patch. I was running 28/28 but could try 30/30 at Beaverun this weekend and see what happens. The Bridgestone 03's are the caliber of tire that I should go for, but I'm kinda interested in trying a different brand just to try something else. I'll check out Q2's, I think those are the tires Todd was showing me.

28/28 sounds low for a sport-touring tire. 30/30, or even 32/32 might keep them cooler longer.

I run on the high side of 30/30 in my Q2's.

If you want to try Pirelli's, I think the Diablo Rosso is their street/track tire (replaced the diablo corsa III)

Dunlop would be the Q2

Bridgestone is the 003

Michelin is the Power Pure(?) I think.

28/28 sounds low for a sport-touring tire. 30/30, or even 32/32 might keep them cooler longer.

I run on the high side of 30/30 in my Q2's.

If you want to try Pirelli's, I think the Diablo Rosso is their street/track tire (replaced the diablo corsa III)

Dunlop would be the Q2

Bridgestone is the 003

Michelin is the Power Pure(?) I think.

Q2s should be about 30-32 depending on track and temps front and 27-29 rear depending on the same factors. For track use...