Frustation with a young rider.

Pfloydgad

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not logged the milage obviously. I have been down once, funny about 3 weeks ago, stupid me. shorty; Left work, to KFC for lunch, Threw it in my Backpack and headed back, kid runs out in front of a truck he locks them up, I lock the front up, I go down. No Helmet (I was only going 5 minutes up the road). Yeah, dumb me.

Any way that stems from someone that (with off road experience) has rode for approx. 32 yrs. Tons upon tons of dirt time, on again off again road time.

I can tell you that when I was the kids age riding to and from school, my baseball coach hated it and even had a sit down meeting with my mom and dad and made up a bunch of crap about me doing wheelies on my cbr1000 hurricane through town after school, riding like a crazed hooligan and acting all steve mcqueen. My dad laughed becuase he knew better. You see I was a tire biter for years at the fire house. I saw my brother the night he bit the big one. His best friends girlfriend, that was a model and was in the miss Ohio pagent, looked like she went through a meat grinder (dressed just like this girl).

It's a cool thing. These kids think that they are invincible & Indestructable. Then when it does happen, well we were just... I personally am tired of hearing the shit! I would have loved to had pictures and video of my brothers accident. I would love to toss them in front of these snot nosed punks and watch them yack all over themselves and the floor. You just dont know ho much of a man you are when you are trying to stop soft tissue damage on a 20 year girl that has blood boiling out of her chest because she slid down the road face first and the pavement has ground away her clothes, her bra and her boobs.

I dont always wear gear..my personal preferance is if i'm know i going to ride hard or go on the freeway i gear up..if im out with my cruiser freinds that are reasonablely slower riders i dont wear all gear...boots, jeans, gloves is a always thing, i never go without...but jacket, and lid is not all the time. Yes i know even at lowers speeds and taking it easy shit can still happen, but still that is a chioce each of us has the right to make. I too make fun of the idiots that want to buzz around like the star boyz with no protection, but i will never look down at anyone with their gear on, usually i think to myself they are smarter than me, if im not currently geared up. And the comment about not being true riders and enjoying "the ride", most of my freinds dont wear lids and jackets but i can tell you they truley enjoy "the ride", they dont ride because it's cool they ride because it is an extention of themselves, and feeling the wind and the road. We dont do bars, and dont care if we impress anyone else, if you befreind us we will befreind you. I know there are some out there that you speak of, that just want to show their asses all the time, but they are not every rider you see without gear on.

Not trying to stir the pot just wanted to share my $0.02

Edited by 2talltim

I'm an ATGATT kinda guy myself. I know it is a personal decision. I'm just not comfortable with not wearing gear & worry about those yo yos that ride around like they will never go down! Like Roamr says, If it's too hot to ride in gear, it's too hot to ride!

I rode without a helmet once, planned to go about 1/4 mile up the road and back to check the bike out after fixing a dislodged carb intake boot.

Now, think about that for a second... I used the "just a short distance" excuse to ride a bike with no gear where the engine was not yet known to be reliable and could stall and pitch me off at any moment...

Well, lets just stay as soon as I fel the cold scalp of no helmet I felt the kind of vulnerability that could only be otherwise be experienced by a puppy zip-tied to the grille of a car in a demolition derby. I made it about 200' before I turned around a geared up.

In the UK where they have socialized medicine it is all citizens who have to pay for helmetless riders who become cabbages that need to be watered for the rest of their lives. But this is the good old US of A where we make keeping people alive into a profit-making venture. So, as long as your helmet choice only affects YOU (ie you have insurance) then it's your choice.

you're just old and senile. It's too hot to wear leathers, my girl always wears short shorts with her thong showing too. If we pulled up to the gas station you probably would of just got a chub because you know we can ride better without all the gear. And yes flip flops are the best when riding.

you're just old and senile. It's too hot to wear leathers, my girl always wears short shorts with her thong showing too. If we pulled up to the gas station you probably would of just got a chub because you know we can ride better without all the gear. And yes flip flops are the best when riding.

My wife and I were driving downt he road yesterday and were passed by an older couple on a harley - she was wearign daisy dukes and a tank, and he was wearing jst shorts. They both had piss-pot helmets on. My wife asked me what was the poijt of the helmet if they has no other gear at all.

"They want to stay alive just long enough to enjoy the road rash."

The guy riding the bike he should know better than to ride without gear. If he doesn't wear it oh well his choice maybe try to educate him. Now the girl on the back probably has no idea about the outcome of a minor slide without gear. Hell most girls just wanna ride a bike because its cool and the seat vibrates. If they only knew how likely it was that one of their clones driving down the road texting while putting on makeup is eventually going to do something to cause the d-bag piloting the bike that let her ride with no gear to have to react suddenly possibly locking the rear sliding and high siding both of them high into the air before slamming face first onto the pavement and sliding at 30+mph in traffic. When people would give me shit for wearing gear I would tell them when I see them run full speed and do a head first baseball style slide on the pavement I would understand their toughness and ability to go without gear. Now I have ridden without a jacket on occasion so don't think I'm a gear Nazi but myself and my fiancee do not get on a bike without at least helmets, jeans boots and gloves.

I hate the looks from guys in no gear like I'm the asshole for being geared up in 90+ heat.

I was riding to work on Wednesday of this week. I was wearing my duty pants, boots, jacket, gloves, helmet and riding the FZR with full bags. I came across a rider my age (39) or a little older riding the opposite direction on a metric cruiser. He was wearing sunglasses, T-shirt (one of the really cool ones with the sleeves cut off and seam split almost all the way down the side), shorts, and fruit flops. I waved. He looked at me and shook his head.

I don't know if the issue was that I was riding a sport bike or that I was wearing my gear in the heat, but it made me want to flip around and go knock him off of his bike. However, I realized that if I did, I would be late for work, and that natural selection would eventually catch up with him anyway!

Ive got a better one... Going to an appt this morning. Parked got out and next door is a fire station. Out comes a firefighter i assume getting off work, still in his uniform, on his H-D Streetglide and guess whats missing. Nope not the boots, why cuz he HAS to wear them for work.. pants, nope keep guessing. Gloves... yeah if he is going into a burning building. Helmet.. DING DING DING no helmet. You would think a firefighter of all people would have a helmet on.

Now im a firm believer in its your choice and if its just you on the bike then you are only putting yourself at risk and thats your choice. Just like if you choose not to wear a seat belt or smoke. You know the risk and thats up to you to choose to do so. There is risk in alot of things that people do in there everyday live and i understand why not atgatt to help eliminate as much risk. I usually do when i ride, but one thing that i have noticed on this forum when someone is preaching atgatt nobody is preaching QUALITY gear. A pair of levis is tested at the factory for 30mph ass slides. I know its better than shorts and i do it too but lets also teach people that there are $100 riding pants and $400 helmets for a reason.

Just my opinion and my rant for the day

sarcasm01.jpg

This is a frustrating topic ... why is that people think it is a cool to not have gear on ... that just tells me they didn't think before they got on the bike, why would they start thinking now? When is wearing gear a bad idea? If you wanna b!tch about being hot, take the Prius.

So what if its more comfortable, would you rather let some arrogant ass take your daughter on his nice new 150hp crotch for a ride ... or try and teach her that her worth is not in what she looks like and tell that kid to stop thinking about himself and how he wants to take advantage of her and put her in danger. I'd rather kick his bike over and pay for the court costs and damages than the medical bill for my daughter and tell my wife I did nothing to increase her chances. Our choices never just affects ourselves ... stone in a pond, the ripple effect. Most people don't like seeing other riders get hurt, and if you believe that wearing gear is the right thing, why would you not say anything? Or do you really just care about yourself?

I love the feeling of the open air and not having to take the extra time to put on my gear ... but what am I saying to the people around me ... my choice only affects me ... as my spouse, parent, child or friend, my choice will not affect you, because I don't believe you care about me. You will not miss me, or be hurt if I die, or come to visit me in the hospital because you have other things to do.

Imagine if racers had that mentality or even the choice ... is it stupid now to not wear gear? Racers have a better chance of survival than us on the road ... they slide most of the time; people on the road hit things ... It's better to slide 200ft that the get hit or crash into something at 30mph.

I'll stop, but just think about it ... protect yourself and consider those around you.

^^^ this ^^^

If a rider has absolutely no one else depending on him to make money, take care of kids, take care of family, etc., etc. so be it. However, if a rider has anyone else depending on him for anything significant, not wearing gear is selfish, idiotic, or both. It's rare I have much empathy for someone who takes stupid risks, but it's also rare for someone to have absolutely no one else relying on him in some form or fashion.

Let's hope they get wise..! Nothing we can really do to change it. (Except negotiate laws, which I'm not opposed to!)

Hold them down and make them watch videos of bad crashes with people not wearing gear. :rolleyes:

This guy whining is enough to make most people wear the gear just so he'll STFU. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFD9az2eAv0&feature=relmfu

Hold them down and make them watch videos of bad crashes with people not wearing gear. :rolleyes:

This guy whining is enough to make most people wear the gear just so he'll STFU. :lol:

I like how he lef the blood on it to make it look *really* bad.

Here is my lesson about gear.

roadrash1.jpg

92 degrees out and knew I wasn't going to do any stupid riding, just a normal commute home from work. Gloves & jacket were in the saddlebags.

Hit the deer at somewhere between 60-65. Won't EVER happen again.

The "Dress for the crash" phrase is completely accurate.