if you can't stand the heat...

redbarron77

Thought I'd share my joys in finding out how it feels to ride in Texas...in August...during the hottest, driest period in recorded history.

Not that I've been out riding any time recently(since '92), just got the motorcycle endorsement on my license(after taking the MSC), got the "new" bike, alpinestar jacket, insurance, title, parking pass for work, plates(holy crap!! I'm hemorrhaging money here), brain bucket....you get the idea. So with all this in hand, decided to find out how it "really" felt to ride in the heat. Once it cooled down to 107(in the shade), put on all the gear and moseyed on out to the shed to start up the bike and take it for a spin.

****Don't get me wrong, I will not sacrifice safety for the sake of comfort.****:nosquid:

Had to work at getting the bike out of the shed....maybe I shouldn't have put all the gear on before this step? :dunno:Once the sweat was really rolling down the crack of my ass, the bike finally decided to come out of its nest and spread its wings.

Heading down the 1 mile of dirt road(at 20mph) till hitting the pavement:farmer: brought back memories of all those years of riding dirt bikes as a kid, and I was feeling pretty damn confident in my handling skills.

"No problems on this stuff...why was I worried? Why did I even think I needed to take that MSC??"

Made it to the pavement and turned down the roadway toward the less busy end of FM1372(TX names their county maintained roads, "Farm to Market" roads).

I am flying!!! Feel the wind flow through this jacket! The reviews were correct, it feels pretty damn good! That layer of sweat is now cooling me down to 105! Wow, I must be doing 80!!! ~~~I looked down....the speedometer read......45.....:cry: The bike was making a low rumble as if to say "Don't you have a pair up there??? There are more than 3 gears asshole!"

I did finally push it up to the speed limit, 70. Let me tell you, in 107 degree weather, the sweat was gone. The cooling from sweat evaporation stopped at 60 mph, and now felt like I had a nice sunburn standing in front of a blast furnace, with a high speed fan! Bugs the size of squirrels slapping me in the face like I'm the newest contestant trying out for a Donkey Punch video! :eek:

Next investment??? Full face shield lid! Under Armor t-shirt and underwear!

Got the bike(and me) home in one piece after about 20 minutes of riding, put everything away, and took off the gear. Needed a squeegee to use across my glasses from sweat dripping down my face(remember, I'm not going 60 now). My clothes were sweat-soaked like I was 16 again, under the influence of Mono...feet looked like I had been swimming for an hour...definitely can't use these work boots, gonna have to break out my Matterhorn Field boots from my Army days.

But hot damn! I'm back on the bike!:metal:

• Upvote 1

reminds me of my ride to Tahoe last year.. 115〫 when I left home IN FULL GEAR and had the nerve to run into road construction about 45 mins after I left. I had to loose a good 20lbs in the 30 mins it took me to roll 5 miles through that nightmare. Thank god for no humidity.

Cool-Starry-Bra.jpg

Edited by AOW

Bugs the size of squirrels slapping me in the face like I'm the newest contestant trying out for a Donkey Punch video! :eek:

Hahahaha, glad you are back on a bike, but I hope it doesnt take away from your epic pron searches.

You have quite a talent in that arena.

I had a similar experience in Florida back in July on a rented HD. Wearing full gear in 95 degree air with 70-80% humidity and strong sun doesn't feel too good. Mix in black asphalt with an air cooled bike and it gets pretty hot! I was ok but my girlfriend on the back didn't last long.

BUT, skin grafts don't tickle. I'll leave my gear on!

Still going to keep up the "support of the site" postings. :)

Had my first ride into work, and LOVED it!

Remember, most roads here in TX have the posted speed limit at 70...including the 2 lane roadways. 80 Degrees, no wind(except for the oncoming traffic...wind blast from an 18-wheeler isn't considered wind, is it?), perfect riding conditions.

Only had my "Invisibility" turned to mildly-opaque...chica in her Stang yakking on the cell pulled out in front of me(as I had mentally predicted).

What a GREAT way to start the day!!!!

Big thanks to Ben and Carie for keeping me focused on getting back onto the bike!!!! Here's $1,000,000 internet dollars!