Pulling the trigger on a new bike

Josh1234

I'll be calling him after my online game is done (yes, I'm a nerd). I'd LOVE to get it for 2K, but I doubt it'll happen. 2200 maybe.

21K miles, meaning it'll need vales soon, I think?

His grammar isn't that great, but, beh... It'd be a great bike for me, and even at 2400, it's only 400 more than I sold Buella for, though it is older and higher mileage.

Edited by Josh1234
typos

play a little hardball, list a bunch of reasons or fixes it needs and be like I've got 2k cash and ill take it home for that

Took me a couple cars/bikes, but negotiating gets easier and easier to get what you want! I mean shit right now I've got some convo going with a guy for an 09 phoenix cbr he listed for 6900...i've currently got him down to $5900 and still dealing :)

I'll bet you could get this for $2,200.

http://ashtabula.craigslist.org/mcy/2586468041.html

I'm scared a zx-6r/zx600 won't be comfortable enough. I'm willing to give up a little supersport performance for a more comfortable ride and low-midrange torque.

Does look like a good deal, though, with nice low miles :)

Wow, that's desperate. You should just rent a bike, brother. Kennedy's in Elyria has some to rent.

If you are going to rent it seems like a Vrod from South East Harley would be a better deal.

http://www.southeastharley.com/miscpage_001.asp

Kennedy's appears to only rent cruisers and scooters. :nono:

Not that a Harley is better but it appears to be cheaper.

Craig

I'm scared a zx-6r/zx600 won't be comfortable enough. I'm willing to give up a little supersport performance for a more comfortable ride and low-midrange torque.

Does look like a good deal, though, with nice low miles :)

That's a ZX6E. They are plenty comfortable.

That's a ZX6E. They are plenty comfortable.
If you decide to check out the one in ashtabula let me know I'll go with you.

Hrm, ZX6E more touring-oriented than a ZX6R? Thanks, i didn't know that. 2001 is a little older than I was hoping for, but it can't hurt to look/ride.... :)

I'll send an e-mail. Conn-e, thanks, I'll let you know!

There's only one problem with the plan of buying something cheap now with the idea of flipping it in the spring to get your money back -- and nobody has mentioned it, I think.

That plan leaves you without a ride at the beginning of the riding season when all the used bike sellers are trying to get top dollar.

Get one of the ones you like. You're buying a bike, not marrying it til death do you part.

E-mailed the Ashtabula zx600 and haven't heard back.

Today, I test rode this bike:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/2612596611.html

('02 YZF-600)

It's in pretty darn good shape, though it has 22k miles.

I have only one complaint with the bike, and I think it might be a deal breaker... And I can't believe I'm saying this... It's too loud.

It has "a full header D&D pipe" and while I'm a firm believer in loud pipes save lives, I live in a condo complex, and it'll be my first sport (okay, sport-touring) bike... meaning every mistake I make with the throttle is blasted for all to hear :) Granted, I'd adjust quickly, but c'mon... I'm not a punk kid who wants an insane amount of attention... and the bike is insanely loud.

insanely.

I could get it for 2,000... and I'm halfway tempted to buy it & flip in the spring, even if it's only for what i paid for it.

I'm not worried about being without a ride... If I flip for profit or just to break even, I'm still riding & gaining experience on new bikes... and BOY did I gain some experience even on just the test ride.

First off, I learned that my old Buell Blast was a LOT closer to a cruiser than to a sportbike. Or even a sport touring bike. The YZF-600 redlines at like 13.5K... and i don't think I rode it above 5K rpm. Granted, I was on city streets, and not the highway, and roads weren't 100% dry, and it was my first time on a real high-revving engine, but wow.

It's definitely safe to say that I have a healthy respect for what the bike is capable of. It's also fair to say that I'd not grow into that bike's full capabilities for a LONG time. I also noticed my wrists/hands hurting, and I think that was more from gripping the bars too tightly than it was me resting my weight on my arms, though that was a small factor, too. And if that was the case on a YZF600, it's probably definite confirmation that I need to stay away from a supersport bike.

2K is damn tempting, since that's what I sold Buella for... but I think it might just be too loud.

I might be checking out a 1991 Ninja EX500 tomorrow that I can get for $1100. Granted, it's VERY old, but it's had some work done, and I'd probably sell it again... and to be honest, I've always wanted to ride/own an EX500. Its ad says:

Need to sell my 91 500 ninja. Runs rides and brakes real nice. This bike has fresh vavoline 20w50 oil change, Newer tires, new fram oil filter, new battery, gas cap lid, zero gravity wind deflector, new spark plugs, wires, both coils changed (brand new). New air filter. Carbs were just rebuilt. This bike runs perfect. Needs absolutely nothing. Everything works. Bike has few nicks and scrapes, but still looks good. It has 22k, which is nothing for these bikes. Very reliable bike. 498cc inline twin. Liquid cooled! 6 speed. Mid 50s mpg. Bike is not slow. Very surprising. If your a licensed rider, I invite you to come ride it. No Dissapointments. I have other projects that need love, and that's the only reason for sale. If interested call me, Adam @ 419-265-0828.

Bike is cheap on insurance also because its not classified as a true sport bike. 1400 is the price and I'm pretty firm on that. A good running bike for that price is hard to find trust me, I compared prices before I listed it. Thank you

Edited by Josh1234
clarification/typos

Josh, exactly how long have you been riding that feel like you're going to make mistakes with the throttle and that an older 600 is a lot of bike? I'm asking because I don't know if you're really very new to riding or if you're Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over thinking things. :confused:

Oh, and I like the suggestion of buying something that you're going to be on for a while without the intent to flip. This is a great time to get a deal on something you'd really want. You've got to shake this indecisiveness my man. :)

Oh... squeezing the tank more with your knees will subconsciously loosen your death-grip on the bars. ;)

Now, go buy a damn bike tomorrow and let's go for a ride we're actually supposed to have a reprieve from the rain. :D

The EX and the YZF are only 100cc difference in size, but are WORLDs apart in power and riding style.

If you're flipping it in the Spring then whatever, but the YZF would be the better bet if you end up having to hold it for awhile. I'd almost guarantee you'll be holding on to that old EX longer than the YZF when it comes time to craigslist it just because there isn't a huge market of buyers looking for bikes that old. Even as a 'beginner' bike... I just have a feeling that the EX is a lot harder sell than the YZF for the reasons of the posters above.

The silencer installed on the YZF probably needs repacked is all, and besides, I looked on Ebay and a new silencer for these are not much money at all new.

Still think the ZX6E in Ashtabula will be a good motorcycle, who knows though, if only the seller would contact you.

Josh, exactly how long have you been riding that feel like you're going to make mistakes with the throttle and that an older 600 is a lot of bike? I'm asking because I don't know if you're really very new to riding or if you're Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over thinking things. :confused:

Oh... squeezing the tank more with your knees will subconsciously loosen your death-grip on the bars. ;)

Now, go buy a damn bike tomorrow and let's go for a ride we're actually supposed to have a reprieve from the rain. :D

Been riding for 1 year! Bought a 2005 Buell Blast (500cc) last fall ($1200) and rode it every chance I could for a year... Sold it a week or two ago for $2000 :) Hence my enthusiasm.

LOL, every time I noticed my hands/wrists hurting, I gripped with knees. Next step: Make it automatic and a habit BEFORE I notice fatigue :)

As for me being new/overthinking... I'm definitely overthinking, but trying to stay cautious & safe on a bike I've never ridden before. The Blast hit rev limiter at like 6500 RPM, and I bounced off it all the time... It takes a change of riding style, becaue I DON'T want to be bouncing off the rev limiter on a bike with 3x the horsepower :)

As for tomorrow & riding... I hope to at least test ride ;)

I'd almost guarantee you'll be holding on to that old EX longer than the YZF when it comes time to craigslist it just because there isn't a huge market of buyers looking for bikes that old. Even as a 'beginner' bike... I just have a feeling that the EX is a lot harder sell than the YZF for the reasons of the posters above.

That's a valid point I need to consider... YZF in decent condition is a looker and will sell easily. 1991 EX500 is, well... 20 years old :(

Half of OR is suffering from insomnia :)

I think Josh, ur pretty good rider who doesn't need an intermediate bike, u can go for the yzf which is pretty big bike and suits ur frame as well, and may be there will be an insert to cut the sound out

TY! Yeah, I like the way the YZF fit me... I'm a tall guy at 6'2, and I'm sure that it is bigger than an ex500. As for the baffle, that's an interesting idea... Armith mentioned it to me. I need to find out if there is one for the D&D, and how much quieter it'd make it... barring that, I like the YZF600 enough to buy one if I can find one with a clean title, not too old, for 2K :)

Edited by Josh1234

just becuase a bike has 100+ Hp doesnt mean you have to use it...get something a little bigger than you first were thinking of and grow into it slowly...when i first bought my TL it scared the crap out of me, but now sometimes i think it could be a little quicker