Why everyone hates sportbikes.

Casper

we are very self centered here, and i think that has a lot to do with it. people have an attitude of "if i cant move, they shouldnt either" which is the wrong attitude to have.

it should be "i cant move, but they can, so why hold them up?"

I disagree. how about, "I have to follow the laws, so you should have to as well. Being on a motorcycle doesn't make your appointment more important than mine."

If it were legal, then fine - but it's not. Splitting lanes says, "i don't have to follow the rules."

in my mind, THAT'S the wrong attitude to have.

I disagree. how about, "I have to follow the laws, so you should have to as well. Being on a motorcycle doesn't make your appointment more important than mine."

If it were legal, then fine - but it's not. Splitting lanes says, "i don't have to follow the rules."

I see your point, but it also cuts back on traffic congestion. They had a big protest in Australia (2006) about this. Without bikes lane splitting the back-ups were RIDICULOUS! I'm all for splitting like other countries and California when in stopped traffic. There is a low speed restriction when doing it to keep it safe and if you open a door to get out you are fully liable because it is up to you be make sure no bike is coming, just as you are to look both ways when crossing the street. One type of vehicle doesn't own the road, cars, trucks, tractors at times, bikes, etc...all use them. Respect each other and the other persons vehicles capabilities. If someone else can go ahead and you don't like it...then learn how to ride if it bothers you that much.

Edited by NinjaNick

I see your point, but it also cuts back on traffic congestion. They had a big protest in Australia (2006) about this. Without bikes lane splitting the back-ups were RIDICULOUS! I'm all for splitting like other countries and California when in stopped traffic. There is a low speed restriction when doing it to keep it safe and if you open a door to get out you are fully liable because it is up to you be make sure no bike is coming, just as you are to look both ways when crossing the street. One type of vehicle doesn't own the road, cars, trucks, tractors at times, bikes, etc...all use them. Respect each other and the other persons vehicles capabilities. If someone else can go ahead and you don't like it...then learn how to ride if it bothers you that much.

^^^This

Not to mention how many times someone has flown up on my ass at a stop light and came within inches of me, I swear a car tapped my ass once but I didn't have time to look because the light turned green and traffic started to move. They saw the light turned and figured traffic would be moving by the time they got there so they didn't slow down, that's what I'm assuming at least. But I could have been at the front of the line if splitting was legal and would never have this problem again. It's not like I'm holding up traffic because as soon as the light turns I'm gone twice as fast as it takes a car to start moving.

Lane splitting isn't illegal here in Ohio at least. It isn't explicitly legal either so its more of a discretionary thing. It should certainly be speed regulated if people do it so no one abuses the privilege. I don't do it under most circumstances because there are too many people who would pull that door stunt like the video above, but I am certainly in gear and edged towards the split in case of an emergency.

Lane splitting isn't illegal here in Ohio at least. It isn't explicitly legal either so its more of a discretionary thing. It should certainly be speed regulated if people do it so no one abuses the privilege. I don't do it under most circumstances because there are too many people who would pull that door stunt like the video above, but I am certainly in gear and edged towards the split in case of an emergency.

Where the fuck do you get your info? The only state it's LEGAL in is California. Do it and you will be cited for wreckless op. Know the law before you start trying to tell others what is and isn't legal

Where the fuck do you get your info? The only state it's LEGAL in is California. Do it and you will be cited for wreckless op. Know the law before you start trying to tell others what is and isn't legal

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/asp/amaccess/laws/result.asp?state=oh

bottom of the page. specifically says that lane splitting is "Not referenced in Administractive Code or Statutes" now with that being said, i do not agree with what the guys in the video were doing, nor do i split lanes at 80mph on I270. but if going up the shoulder to cut my driving time from 2 hours to 45 mins(personal experience going to school) or keeping someone who has a vandetta against bikers(also personal experience) from hitting me, you bet your ass im splitting.

bottom of the page. specifically says that lane splitting is "Not referenced in Administractive Code or Statutes" now with that being said, i do not agree with what the guys in the video were doing, nor do i split lanes at 80mph on I270. but if going up the shoulder to cut my driving time from 2 hours to 45 mins(personal experience going to school) or keeping someone who has a vandetta against bikers(also personal experience) from hitting me, you bet your ass im splitting.

So because one site says it's "not referenced, etc" it's legal? Try it sometime, let me know how it works out for you

There is actually a code in Ohio against passing on the right, off the road. Out of a normal lane. It is enforced occasionally. Several years ago, cars were doing it on I-670 in Columbus during rush hour, and at fairly high speed. After a couple of days of that, patrols went out and put a stop to it by sitting off the road and blocking. That included stopping the pulling out to the right to get to the exit quicker.

Edited by ReconRat

Wow, harsh for apparently not reading beyond the first sentance. Lane splitting is not specified in Ohio as being illegal or legal, I didn't comment on any other laws. I specifically said it wasn't explicitly legal in Ohio as well. If people want to use my one post as legal advice I think they have far larger problems then my opinion on the subject.

Wow, harsh for apparently not reading beyond the first sentance. Lane splitting is not specified in Ohio as being illegal or legal, I didn't comment on any other laws. I specifically said it wasn't explicitly legal in Ohio as well. If people want to use my one post as legal advice I think they have far larger problems then my opinion on the subject.

Dont take anything I post as being harsh. I post what I am thinking at the given moment. :p

I just remembered that last year I merged on US35 near my home and as soon as I got on the ramp I saw that it was at a dead stop. I told myself, "F that!". I rode the berm at about 20mph to the next exit. I was thinking to myself if I'm pissing anyone off, but nobody yelled, honked, or cut me off. It was 90+ outside and it was backed up for miles. I was NOT sitting on my hot bike for an hour when I can cruise 2 miles to the next exit. I got off the next exit and took another route other than the freeway to get to the countryside.

legal schmegal. if their car would fit in that space you know god damned well they would go through there too, legal or not.

There is actually a code in Ohio against passing on the right, off the road. Out of a normal lane. It is enforced occasionally. Several years ago, cars were doing it on I-670 in Columbus during rush hour, and at fairly high speed. After a couple of days of that, patrols went out and put a stop to it by sitting off the road and blocking. That included stopping the pulling out to the right to get to the exit quicker.

I've been told (by a LEO chief) that these are false, and not explicity stated in the ORC, however, they have plenty of other laws that they can use to cite someone for such things.

It boils down to, even if it's not an actual law in the ORC, it's not normally acceptable, and would probably piss of a LEO enough to cite someone for everything else they may be able to find them doing wrong at the time.