What's the big deal...

Josh1234

About "the slab?"

Every ride from here I've been on (admittedly, not many, but a few) I've had to ride at least an hour to get to..... Granted, on the Blast it wasn't a WHOLE lot of fun, but on my YZF600R, it's a pleasure.

I commuted to work today for ~3 of ride time, during the warm part of the day, and frankly, it was fun. A joy. I thought to myself several times that I was just out on the highway "joyriding."

Why does everyone complain so much about the slab? Is it because you all ride supersport bikes and they're THAT uncomfortable?

For me, I'd ALMOST rather just cruise on the highway than the twisties. Am I missing the point of motorcycling? Or are cars my version of curves? I.e., the fun part to get around, the danger you need to watch out for, etc.

Granted, going on group rides & "the twisties" are an EXCELLENT means to develop my skills and become a better rider, and learn more about how my bike handles and how *I* react also, but really... I have just as much fun commuting as I do trying to get through curves as fast as possible :p

Just musing & rambling :)

its boring as all hell to me. I can tolerate an hour worth of slabbing before I wanna die of pure boredom. It also doesn't help I like to listen to music to keep me less bored and the best earbuds I've found don't block wind well. The way the VFR is setup with the windscreen and helibars, all the wind hits in the face causing excessive wind noise

its boring as all hell to me. I can tolerate an hour worth of slabbing before I wanna die of pure boredom. It also doesn't help I like to listen to music to keep me less bored and the best earbuds I've found don't block wind well. The way the VFR is setup with the windscreen and helibars, all the wind hits in the face causing excessive wind noise

Try riding a bike without a windshield.

Highway = boring as shit, unless you're trying to reach over and turn off someone's bike :D

Try riding a bike without a windshield.

Highway = boring as shit, unless you're trying to reach over and turn off someone's bike :D

mine might as well not have one over 65mph. The only way to avoid the airflow is to literally lay my head down on the tank bag, which I'm sure you've seen me do :lol:

No windscreen on my bike. At 65 MPH, I think I am turning 5500 RPM's. There is just not much "sights and sounds" on the freeway. Only sound is the wind and my bike screaming it ass off.

As for sights, do you really have time to be looking around and admiring scenery, when you're riding the twisties? I look into cars on the freeway... About 1 in 4 has a decent-looking chick in it :)

As for sounds, I have some cheapie headphones, and they go loud enough so I can hear the music, that's all that counts.

As for sights, do you really have time to be looking around and admiring scenery

depends how and where you're riding. I pretty much sightsaw the BRP the first time I went down there but the 2nd time we went in September, there wasn't much sightseeing because I was concentrating on said twisties :)

My car is for driving long distances, my bike is for making it enjoyable; the quote "4 wheels moves the body, 2 moves the soul" come to mind. I personally hate the trip down to any good roads, in fact anything over 30 minutes starts to make me bored out of my mind and I start to cramp up and get uncomfortable (I might have add as well, which could play into that). When I am in the twisties I move enough and get comfortable. Between the curves I usually have enough time to enjoy the trees and wilderness. The highway is just too much concrete and I tend to get complacent and daze out, which is highly dangerous when I'm on my motorcycle. In a car, I expect long distances so I really don't mind (I've done 17:45 hrs straight before and only the last hour and a half started to get boring).

What is to be enjoyed about.......giant pieces/chunks of tire and other shit, cell phone toting idiots, a shitload of semis, and boring ass straight roads? I will purposely take backroads and the longer way, that is what enjoying riding is all about. I can easily ride at a nice pace and enjoy the scenery, the more you ride the better you get at riding.;)