In the event of a non-zombie apocalypse... What would you do?

Josh1234

A lot of people seem to be making the assumption that we're just going to wake up one day, and the world will have gone to shit.

If there's a major natural disaster, that might be the case, but I think it's FAR more likely that things deteriorate slowly, and you have more of a chance to plan.

The 'trick' to things is going to be predicting approximately when currency becomes useless, and liquidating your cash stock at the right time.

As long as the dollar has some value (albeit diluted), you can purchase supplies. Once that's totally worthless, you're left to trading and stealing.

Assuming you predicted the collapse of the dollar correctly, you have a LOT more food, ammo, tools, gasoline, clothing, and other supplies TO TRADE.

Personally, I would plan to make my house appear as though it's been abandoned, but try to stick it out at home.

I have a solid structure that's small enough to to (at least partially) heat without gas or electricity, and I'm in pretty close proximity to wooded areas that will provide at least a temporary supply of food.

The dogs would be the hardest part :( they're probably a liability, and 2 more mouths to feed. If they could be trained for security or hunting purposes, then they earn their keep. Otherwise, they're just companions (which is awesome now, but not in an emergency situation).

Sorry Chris your dogs would most likely help feed two mouths not be two more mouths to feed. I am not gonna stick it out any longer in the city then I need to. Maybe a week at most then use the fuel I have to head south to the woods. Head into the hills and try to do my best to survive.

A lot of people seem to be making the assumption that we're just going to wake up one day, and the world will have gone to shit.

If there's a major natural disaster, that might be the case, but I think it's FAR more likely that things deteriorate slowly, and you have more of a chance to plan.

The 'trick' to things is going to be predicting approximately when currency becomes useless, and liquidating your cash stock at the right time.

As long as the dollar has some value (albeit diluted), you can purchase supplies. Once that's totally worthless, you're left to trading and stealing.

Assuming you predicted the collapse of the dollar correctly, you have a LOT more food, ammo, tools, gasoline, clothing, and other supplies TO TRADE.

Personally, I would plan to make my house appear as though it's been abandoned, but try to stick it out at home.

I have a solid structure that's small enough to to (at least partially) heat without gas or electricity, and I'm in pretty close proximity to wooded areas that will provide at least a temporary supply of food.

The dogs would be the hardest part :( they're probably a liability, and 2 more mouths to feed. If they could be trained for security or hunting purposes, then they earn their keep. Otherwise, they're just companions (which is awesome now, but not in an emergency situation).

A pandemic would be worst case. And most people aren't able to live three days in what's in their house. That's fact. I can't find the study right now.

We live in the sticks, so I would stick it out here. The house is far enough off the road to shoot anybody that is coming at us. Probably have enough food for a few weeks. Propane stove to cook & use for heat. We have a good well so water is covered.

Sorry Chris your dogs would most likely help feed two mouths not be two more mouths to feed. I am not gonna stick it out any longer in the city then I need to. Maybe a week at most then use the fuel I have to head south to the woods. Head into the hills and try to do my best to survive.

My dogs catch more game than most (hunters) shoot in a season.

Anyone...what would you need and want and for how long if you survived a nuclear blast?

Just watch the "Wrong Turn" movies. That should help you out with preparing somewhat. ( I think nuclear testing played a part in those movies, that and inbreeding)

1) Make as much pasta as I can before the stove quits working

2) Aquire as much Jager and Monster as I can

3) Convince as many girls as I can that I am the new Mesiah and the only way to survive is Jager Bombs and orgies on a daily basis till the second coming of the lord

4) Bang groups of women until the pasta is gone and I dehydrate and die a happy fat bastard while you ratards are playing Rambo in fucking hiding.

I win