Good job CPD! You averted what could've been a major disaster!

Casper

THEY knew what could be in it, because they x-rayed. I think they blew the top off because they were called in and it was probably just SOP. I'm sure they x-rayed it, found nothing of importance but then said "but you never know!" The amount of money and resources the people wasted by calling that in is astounding. On a list of things that are important to me or that I would call the cops for, a waterproof container in the woods is pretty low for me.

Isn't an ammo container metal?

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. If they blow it up and it's harmless then they are the bad guys. If the DON'T blow it up and it's real, then they are the bad guys.

As for blowing it up - I've seen on a documentary that one technogue is a water gun. Water in a gun barrel with blank behind it. The water distintegrates it quickly, with lower risk of setting off the explosives.

The geocaching crew needs to use transparent cases.

Edited by Scruit

The article did not say anything about x-ray'ing it.

Listen to the video, I didn't read the article at all because it was too short to contain enough info for me. The news report said they did

-Edit- Scruit, I don't know what the container actually was, but it probably was steel. You can still xray through metal, in fact aluminum is actually used as a sort of filter in some xray devices. I think the police/bomb squad/emergency crews did what they were supposed to; they got a call and had to do something. The blame to me, lies in people who are alarmed too easily (reminds me of a picture Casper posted within the last few days about stereotyping a terrorist on a train). I see an ammo can and I see a durable waterproof container, which would be perfect to be in a wood environment for long term (what they were designed for after all); others see a bomb.

Edited by imprez55

I can't fault them on this. Someone came across a container designed to hold live ordinance. Who knows what could have been in it. They acted appropriately IMO

yeah once they get called, they gotta do what they gotta do.

the point is the hikers are morons for calling in the first place.

Next thing will be a briefcase left in Grand Central Station. I mean it's just someone's briefcase. Poor guy forgot it now they want to blow it up. :nono:

If a terrorist wanted to plant a bomb then they would likely use an object that blends in with the surroundings. A briefcase left at a train station would likely go unnoticed for a while.

Sounds like some of you need to spend some time answering 911 calls. Obviously you have the rare gift of deciphering what's real and what's not. You alone could save the City / County millions!

Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of just ignoring a call like this. It has to be treated as real until its found to be not, and the only way to find out its not is to open it. Do you have the stones to open an unknown container? Not if you want to see the family at the end of the day WITH all your digits intact. So you open it remotely and like it has been stated they don't "Blow it up". That's just the media making it sound more exciting.

To those of you making light of this would you have the same reaction if the location wasn't the woods but outside your kid's school? They all get treated the same because we don't get the luxury of assumption.

Rant off and ride safe.

• Upvote 1