WHat would you do - false advertising...

Moto-Brian

So, I needed a set of black bumper wings for my FJ to replace one that was dented from hitting a small deer.

They are from the Toyota TT series of FJs and are somewhat hard to come by. Guy advertises a set on the FJ Cruisers forums and I set it up to buy them.

Here's where I fudged up. I didn't ask for pics. I know what they are and they were legit TT wings. I didn't ask because the guy stated they were "9 out of 10" in terms of condition. I asked about knicks and scratches, etc. He mentioned they were like new...

The guy took 3 weeks to deliver them as he forgot to ship them due to work issues, etc. I was needing them and all the while, nothing else ever popped up... Well... I get the things and they are about a 4 out of 5. Mine have 50k on them and are in better shape outside the dent. Chips, scratches, etc... So, I am pissed. I PM the guy and he states that he'd give me $15 back or send them to him and once he gets them, he'd refund my money.

Well, the guy is either an idiot or dishonest as the description wasn't even close. Do I send them back and wait/hope he refunds or do I do something else? $15?? I paid $70 for the set. I could probably get $40 for them as they sit...

Just never been burned over the years and not sure what to do. I really hate to send them back with the track record from the guy up until now.

how did you pay? just refute the charge since they are not what he said they were.

PayPal, but I heard that unless bought through Ebay, it is pretty tough to get anything accomplished. Plus, I'd still have to send them back and as CMH mentioned, "hope like hell"...

It's not the money, but rather the principal. Plus, I now have to wait and find another set...

Getting a refund is a lot of trust I wouldn't expect from that guy. Sure you could have the docs and eventually win but it's a long process from PP

Personally I'd sell them myself or ask for half refund before you send them back and expect to not get the other half. Depending how upset you are you could call him out on the FJ forum.

Tell him that he doesn't know who he's dealing with, and that you'll show up at his house.

The $15 isn't any good to you, and neither are the parts. Take a chance and send them back. OR take the $15, then put them on ebay and hope to get $40 for them. But then you're gonna pay about 18% between paypal and ebay fees.

Is it something that a body man could clean up for you?

Send them back and hope for the refund. If you don't get the refund, you've got his address call the authorities local to him. If they don't accomplish anything and it's the principal knock on his door and ask for your $70.

On a side note, I've had two or three PayPal claims and they have all been settled in my favor. Have photos ready to go and explain your case with good grammar and thorough detail .

Getting a refund is a lot of trust I wouldn't expect from that guy. Sure you could have the docs and eventually win but it's a long process from PP

Personally I'd sell them myself or ask for half refund before you send them back and expect to not get the other half. Depending how upset you are you could call him out on the FJ forum.

Pretty much exactly what I would have have done in the past. hoping to get a refund from some idiot who lied about the condition and then took 3 weeks to send because he was busy is not someone I'd put a lot of trust in.

I'd ask for more than the $15. target for $30, settle for $25, and then sell them and get $40 more. Then you are only out $5 plus shipping if that was not part of the $70.

Don't expect paypal to return your money for "condition" as it is a objective thing. They only deal in absolutes.

I think he took 3 weeks on purpose to exceed the claim window.

I'd send them back and be ready to call him out on the forum if he doesn't come through.

Next time, ask for pictures.

I would not send them back unless he told me in writing he was going to pay me all of my money back. I say just try to get some money back from him and take a small hit as a 'stupid fee'. I've had plenty of stupid fees in my life and I'm not even that old...

If they are really that bad and he is refusing to work with you, just tell him you are going to take him to small claims with evidence showing that any reasonable person would not call the product like new. If he still refuses, take him to small claims and have him pay for all the fees on top of what your requesting back from him.

Dude, by all means, please introduce yourself sometime so we can iron out just what you are so butt hurt about. Please.

:nono:

Just spreading it around, I'm probably done now unless you say something else stupid towards me. :monkeypoo:

He started the asshatery, I'm just finishing it. Yea I'm an asshole your point?

Dude, please do tell where I started anything against you. I think the bottom line is that you are a guy that gets all butt hurt over little issues online and feel that the real world is hidden within you computer screen.

If you just don't like me, that's totally cool. I don't care. But, your 3rd grade attitude and little blurbs of nonsense is getting tiresome and apparently to others.

And, about finishing it... Not sure you finished anything other than showing you have almost zero to add...

• Upvote 1