For those interested in a mobile app for Ohio Riders

Casper

Would you be interested in donating for an Ohio Riders mobile (Andoid and iOS) app?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in donating for an Ohio Riders mobile (Andoid and iOS) app?

Any idea of when we should see something. I know its gonna take awhile for both parties to approve these.

Every time someone asks that question Casper goes out and shoots a kitten. Why do you hate kitties?

kitten-and-gun.jpg

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Casper viewpost.gif

The Android and iOS apps have been updated, and they're pretty freaking slick. Most of the bugs are fixed. So, I'm comfortable moving forward with this if you all are.

I guess the easiest way (and without fees) would be checks. They can be written and mailed to:

Ohio Riders

PO Box 553

Pickerington, OH 43147

Originally Posted by Casper viewpost.gif

The Android and iOS apps have been updated, and they're pretty freaking slick. Most of the bugs are fixed. So, I'm comfortable moving forward with this if you all are.

I guess the easiest way (and without fees) would be checks. They can be written and mailed to:

Ohio Riders

PO Box 553

Pickerington, OH 43147

Thanks. I rarely ever check the first page of any thread after opening it once.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so we have a decision to make folks.

I'm still not 100% happy with the vBulletin 4 software and the progress they've made in fixing things. Add to that a few modifications we use aren't compatible with vB4, and won't be.

So, I've been looking at Invision Power Board again. IPB is a pretty sweet piece of software, used by companies like O'Reilly, NASA, Intuit, NBC, NHL, etc for their forums. They have their own mobile app that seems to really kick the shit out of vBulletin's.

http://www.invisionpower.com/suite/mobile.php

There are two options with their app. You can buy the IP branded app for $1.99 in the Apple App Store. It will be the same in the Android App Store soon. It works like Forumrunner and the others where you can add multiple sites (but they have to be IPB sites). It functions like a full app should. Or, you can buy a "white label" app. Only difference is it's skinned/branded to match the site and only works with that site. I honestly don't care about that.

For us to move to IPB would cost about $310, which is about how much we've raised for this mobile project. Since you all donated this money for a mobile app, I want you to make the decision what we should do.

Should we continue as planned; upgrade to vB4, buy vB's mobile apps for iOS and Android, wait a few months for development/app store approvals, etc?

Or should we look into migrating the site to IPB and use their $1.99 app that pretty much rocks? It even supports notifications, something the vB app does not. Even IPB's mobile style is better. Check it out by visiting the link below from your mobile device.

This would be a huge change.

IPB's forums: http://community.invisionpower.com/

A couple things I'm really liking about IPB:

- Calendar supports iCal, so you can easily sync it with your desktop calendar, web calendar, smart phone, etc.

- The gallery piece is leaps and bounds ahead of vBulletin's: http://community.invisionpower.com/gallery/

- The general layout is much cleaner, example of a thread: http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/362033-invision-power-board-using-multiple-active-directory-domains/

Should we continue as planned; upgrade to vB4, buy vB's mobile apps for iOS and Android, wait a few months for development/app store approvals, etc?

I vote for this. Us android peeps don't need to wait for app store approvals, we can install apk's from anywhere we want. Switching to a whole new board software is a lot of work, and when you are all done the things you hate about this software will be fixed but you will find just as many things about the new one you hate. That is the nature of software.

I vote for this. Us android peeps don't need to wait for app store approvals, we can install apk's from anywhere we want. Switching to a whole new board software is a lot of work, and when you are all done the things you hate about this software will be fixed but you will find just as many things about the new one you hate. That is the nature of software.

vBulletin as a company has really changed though in the last few years. There are loads of unhappy folks on the vB.c forums. And things aren't looking up, at least in my opinion. I've been debating switching to IPB since vB4 came out, but I've been holding off hoping that things would get better.

I'm in for the move to IPB. Sounds like you have weighed the options and are leaning toward IPB anyway. What all is involved in the migration? Do they have a MySQL db conversion tool? Either way, I don't need the mobile app and don't really mind what platform the site is on.

Blah blah

Ugh, he's back around... :)

To help with the decision, what sort of stuff won't work with vb4 that we have now? Will there be something comparable to these things on IPB?

I may throw in a few $$ to the cause now that I don't take the lappy to work with me...

I don't care either way. My minor qualms with viewing on DolphinBrowserHd are:

Reading to the bottom of a page on a thread, then clicking the next page brings you back down to the bottom. Also, it always loads pages in zoomed out mode. Just a double tap to fix, but it gets old. clicking on pictures withing posts centers/scoots them way over to the right, since I'm "technically" on a very leftward chunk of the whole page. That and typing is a pain, because whenever I slide the screen to move my "viewing box", it also puts my typing cursor wherever I let go.

Minor things which I've learned to deal with, but nonetheless, they are what I'd like to see fixed. Whichever one does that, is what I want.

• 2 months later...
How's this going?

Still holding out to see what's going on with the mobile app development. Lot of changes going on at vBulletin. May end up switching to a different software in the not so distant future.

• 3 months later...