Couple of questions: headlights, chain, battery (04 R6)

smashweights

Been a while since I've been on here, but here's my questions for you all:

1- I went to change my low beam bulb and realized this odd clunking sound was my projector fixture was super loose, apparently I overdid it when adjusting the headlights a while back. Now the problem is they are either just a little wobbly or way out of whack if tight and stable, and too far back to even get the dust cover on. Are these supposed to be a little flexible within the housing? I'm dumbfounded here...

2- Fired her up on the rear stand today after a good spring wash and wax and notice my chain "hops" around a bit. In a nearly rhythmical fashion, it seems to almost pop, or something, not sure how to describe it exactly, but it's very concerning. Time to change the chain?

3- Battery, I assume it's likely the original and if I let it the bike sit for a month or so, it won't start. Yeah, idiot question, but just want to make sure it needs changing.

Thanks for the time guys, much appreciated!

Additional info: took the battery to autozone after charging for about 12 hours at 1A (battery is a GS GT9B-4) and it showed it was 66% charged and putting out 12.35V. Time for a new one?

New question: When the bike is in neutral and on a rearstand, should the rear wheel turn at all? Mine rotates slowly when in neutral, even with the clutch pulled all the way in. Normal or potential problem?

Edited by smashweights

I'm not mechanical wiz but things that come to mind are get a new battery

as far as chain goes, find an r6 forum and a how-to to check if its within spec. To me it sounds like it could have too much slack but I also am noobie in the ways of shit so I'm still learning

I would check the battery under load condition and see what it says there but chances are you need to replace. As far as the chain to me it sounds like it is out of spec but tightening is very easy. Last but not least my wheel does not move when in nuetral but that does not neccesarily mean you have a problem, once again i would check and make sure your chain is in spec and does not need replaced. Do you have stock or have you swapped to the 520?

2- Fired her up on the rear stand today after a good spring wash and wax and notice my chain "hops" around a bit. In a nearly rhythmical fashion, it seems to almost pop, or something, not sure how to describe it exactly, but it's very concerning. Time to change the chain?

Grab the chain near the back of the rear sporcket and pull it towards the back of the bike. If it pulls to where you can see the sprocket teeth, it's time for a new chain.

New question: When the bike is in neutral and on a rearstand, should the rear wheel turn at all? Mine rotates slowly when in neutral, even with the clutch pulled all the way in. Normal or potential problem?

The tire will move, mine does it usually up until the oil is all warm and even then it will creap.

Grab the chain near the back of the rear sporcket and pull it towards the back of the bike. If it pulls to where you can see the sprocket teeth, it's time for a new chain.

The tire will move, mine does it usually up until the oil is all warm and even then it will creap.

How do you then determine if it's just a loose chain vs. bad links? I read a few places that jumping chain could be a seized or rusted link. there are a few rust spots on the sides...

Any ideas on the headlights? There's two adjustment screws to adjust the position of the projection lenses inside the headlight housing and if i tighten it up so the projects dont wiggle a lot when i push the housing around, it pulls them so far back that I can't get the dust cover on, not to mention the aim is totally off...

Well, went ahead and replaced the chain and sprockets. I'd been wanting to get a bit more low end/acceleration out of the bike anyway, so I got an EK MVXZ 520 chain and two new driven steel sprockets (-1/+0). Rode around the block in a light drizzle and it didn't explode or fall apart, so I'm happy thus far.

the chain will bounce up on a stand like that.

and yes the rear tire will spin in N when the oil is cold. completely normal.

battery is a agm. unless you ran it dead before it can sit all winter without a charge. agm batteries don't need winter maintenance.

I still have my stock battery and it's build date is sept 2002 stamped on the case of it. I never touch it all winter long. it's never been hooked up to a charger

Well, went ahead and replaced the chain and sprockets. I'd been wanting to get a bit more low end/acceleration out of the bike anyway, so I got an EK MVXZ 520 chain and two new driven steel sprockets (-1/+0). Rode around the block in a light drizzle and it didn't explode or fall apart, so I'm happy thus far.

make sure you bend both tabs down on the washer for the front sprocket. they have a reputation of coming loose. I safety wire mine for extra insurance.

make sure you bend both tabs down on the washer for the front sprocket. they have a reputation of coming loose. I safety wire mine for extra insurance.

How do you get the washer to bend? I couldn't figure it out for the life of me and the original bent spots are not lined up over the flat edges of the nut...

How do you get the washer to bend? I couldn't figure it out for the life of me and the original bent spots are not lined up over the flat edges of the nut...

Usually a flat head and rubber mallet will get the bend started, then use anything that can be placed inside the groove to push it the rest of the way. Doesn't need to be where it was bent before. On the headlight, are the retaining back plates still in place? Sounds like something fell out. Maybe a metal clip?

Usually a flat head and rubber mallet will get the bend started, then use anything that can be placed inside the groove to push it the rest of the way. Doesn't need to be where it was bent before. On the headlight, are the retaining back plates still in place? Sounds like something fell out. Maybe a metal clip?

Backplates?

Backplates?

Yeah, if it's a free floating lamp like it sounds from your description there'd be a nut or thread in the center and back of the housing. It could be a backplate, nylon gromet, j-clip or any other number of threaded items to keep the lamp in place. Since you said it is only solid when adjusted all the way in one direction it would make sense that the screw isn't attached to anything at the other end.

Yeah, if it's a free floating lamp like it sounds from your description there'd be a nut or thread in the center and back of the housing. It could be a backplate, nylon gromet, j-clip or any other number of threaded items to keep the lamp in place. Since you said it is only solid when adjusted all the way in one direction it would make sense that the screw isn't attached to anything at the other end.

I'll take a look. The high beams on the right side are just fine, firm and centered.

So the bolt itself gets wobbly, not the adjuster nut on the reflector? That bolt is definitely supposed to stay rigid no matter how much you crank it. It just rotates to allow the threads to adjust the aforementioned nut.

The chain should have 2.5-3.5 cm of slack on the kickstand. I ain't got no fancy snazzy stands...

the neutral thing would have hit me off guard too. Good to know.

So the bolt itself gets wobbly, not the adjuster nut on the reflector? That bolt is definitely supposed to stay rigid no matter how much you crank it. It just rotates to allow the threads to adjust the aforementioned nut.

The chain should have 2.5-3.5 cm of slack on the kickstand. I ain't got no fancy snazzy stands...

inches.

No, it's just the projector apparatus inside the housing. The screws are just fine. With the bulb clamped down, if I wiggle the apparatus, it moves around, the high beam housing does not.

And Serpent, thanks for the tip on the washer. The original bends were close enough that I managed to get them bent down far enough on the nut that it should hold well.

And the chain slack I set it to about 1.25" of movement. Took the bike out for a ride today and no problems, even at high speed. Though that chain wax is a bitch to get off! I spent a good 10 minutes with the grunge brush yesterday after I got the chain on and I'm still getting white goo on my freshly washed bike...

Both wrong. 1.38-1.77 in. or 3.5-4.5 cm.

And it seems like your retainer spring is bent funny. i have my stock projectors I'm looking at. You do have the bent piece that holds the spring, right?

Got a picture? It's hard for me to tell based on your description. Sounds like I need to loosen my chain a tad.