What does ATGATT mean to you?

CoolWhip

What do you ALWAYS wear when you ride? (Check all that apply)  

595 members have voted

1. 1. What do you ALWAYS wear when you ride? (Check all that apply)

• Helmet
    • Armored Jacket
    • Leather Jacket
    • Standalone Back Protector
    • Gloves
    • Armored Riding Pants
    • Leather Riding Pants
    • Ankle-protecting, Riding Boots
    • I sometimes don't wear any protective gear

Ninjadoc's thread about back protectors and my accident got me wondering about what people on here wear. Many of you preach ATGATT, but that can mean different things to different people. What I want to know here is what do you wear EVERY TIME you ride and why? Vote in the poll and then explain in a post.

I will start. As witnessed by my accident, I was not wearing riding pants. I wear helmet, gloves, armored jacket, and riding boots every time I go out, but sometimes if I am just going to work or riding a few miles I skip the riding pants. They are a hassle and they are REALLY HOT (I mean temperature :p). I also do not have a stand alone back protector although I do have the armor pad in my jacket. If I am going long distance or on a group ride I wear the armored pants.

Edited by CoolWhip

The least I have ever rode with is over the ankle footwear, leather pants, leather jacket, leather gloves and helmet. The most on the street is armored footwear, armored gauntlet style gloves, stand alone CE2 back protector, armored jacket, leather pants and helmet. So it is somewhere in between for me but I also care more about myself than others. If I say ATGATT, it means to me that you have leather pants/jacket and a helmet, just the minimum.

I answered Helmet, Gloves, Boots, and pants.

However occasionally I skip the pants on my commute. I prefer to wear them but my choices are a water proof pair of over pants or a mesh pant that I cant fit over my work clothes. When its hot the over pants are too sweaty and Id have to change at work for the others. Luckily my commute is fairly short and at modest speeds. Still I know jeans wont help much at 40mph. :(

Craig

Admittedly, I don't ride ATGATT by definition of "all the gear".

Hop on the bike for a few blocks... helmet, shoes, jeans. Actual riding.... jacket, gloves, boots, helmet, jeans or armored jeans. Long distance travel.... I add riding pants. I'm not arguing for or against anything, that's just my reality.

90% of my riding is as follows: Helmet, Jacket, Pants of some kind (usually jeans), and oxford shoes.

sometimes (if it's cold) I wear gloves and over the ankle boots (though it seems to make my shifting less precise)

maybe 2% of the time (riding just around town) I'll do the sunglasses, pants, shirt, oxford combo..

and on rare occasions (countable on my fingers) I'll squid it up with shorts and tennis shoes.

Also I wore a tuxedo once, was my sisters wedding.

• Upvote 1

I always wear a helmet, armored gloves and a leather jacket with armor if I'm on the street. I always wear boots if I'm commuting its regular boots if I'm out riding its my riding boots. If It's a sportier ride I wear my 2-piece leather suit.

Helmet, gloves, armored textile jacket, armored boots.

Have textile pants; bought them large enough that they can be used as overpants, and wear them when riding to work and on rides longer than just 'running errands'. Usually, but not always.

My reply from this thread:

Minimum (I relgiously wear all of these unless I'm riding the bike up and down the street after an oil change or similar):

Helmet

A* Leather Jacket

A* Gauntlet Gloves

Sidi Boots

Jeans

Longer/Sportier Rides:

All of the Above

A* Track Pants zipped to Jacket

Currently shopping for a good back protector

Finding gear that fits well is key to wanting to wear it. The fit and extra padding in my makeshift 2-peice suit is actually much more comfortable to wear on long rides than jeans.

Edited by Hailwood

Helmet, Gloves, Armored jacket(sometime leather,sometimes textile, sometimes mesh depending on weather), and armored boots for every commute. I change from boots to shoes at work. Also wear a high vis vest when riding at dawn or dusk. Don't know if it helps, but don't think it hurts.

I have textile pants, but don't wear them very often on the commute. I do wear them for recreational riding and longer trips.

Admittedly, I don't ride ATGATT by definition of "all the gear".

Hop on the bike for a few blocks... helmet, shoes, jeans. Actual riding.... jacket, gloves, boots, helmet, jeans or armored jeans. Long distance travel.... I add riding pants. I'm not arguing for or against anything, that's just my reality.

That all seems fine to me.:cool:

squid232.jpg

ATGATT

:D

nice poll coolwhip, wanted to make this with my other post, but felt like i was doing bit too much of polling stuff around

but its photoshop ... made the suzuki look like yamaha

Helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, boots now looking for a back protector

Edited by NinjaDoc

Armored textile or mesh/leather jacket, Kevlar jeans, helmet, gloves and armored riding boots almost every time. On particularly hot days I'll forgo the jacket, which is why I ordered an avg mesh armored jacket this week. Before I joined OR, I didn't wear as much gear as often, rode without a helmet a lot etc...this forum has definitely given me new good riding habits (i also used to ride drunk).

Armored textile or mesh/leather jacket, Kevlar jeans, helmet, gloves and armored riding boots almost every time. On particularly hot days I'll forgo the jacket, which is why I ordered an avg mesh armored jacket this week. Before I joined OR, I didn't wear as much gear as often, rode without a helmet a lot etc...this forum has definitely given me new good riding habits (i also used to ride drunk).

Btw got the jacket and it is amazing thanks again!

those of us who have sold off our street bikes are going to skew these results a bit.

I talked to a motorcycle cop on Saturday morning and just said, "don't you feel naked with just the boots and helmet?" He kind of blew off the question. Granted, city cops aren't doing much more than 50 mph, and spend more time parked than riding (his words, not mine), but even a 25 mph crash is going to hurt like a bitch in their flimsy polyester pants and bare arms.

I didn't see the full leather suit option so I chose leather jacket and pants. It is a very very rare occasion for me to go out in anything less than full leathers, boots, gauntlet gloves, and a helmet. If it is less, it is leather jacket and jeans instead of full leathers. Spirited riding is everything plus a back protector

Always helmet/jacket, usually gloves, sometimes boots/pants.

I rode around the block once without a helmet/jacket and I felt naked. My lol bro was riding 2 up with me so I made him wear my gear.

On shorter trips I usually just wear helmet/jacket/gloves on longer trips I'll throw on boots n pants.

Most days I play it safe in a speedo, diving fins, pointy partyhat, and sparkly "Elton" shades. But those times I want to try and cheat death.....I wont wear the partyhat:eek:

For me, ATGATT doesn't mean "All The Gear All The Time" it means "All Track Gear All The Time."

I've been made fun of for showing up on a spirited ride with a few buddies wearing full track gear. One of those buddies I had to convince to wear a helmet or I wasn't going to ride with him. A year later, that helmet probably saved his life.

Only thing that might change is on a shorter, less spirited ride I'll have on my kevlar jeans and a leather jacket with built in back protector instead of the 1 piece leathers. Still have over the ankle riding boots and gauntlet gloves.