Track tire pressure

donkason

I've done some homework on the web and now I'm more confused. I'm wanting to know what is a good pressure to run on the track. I'm 260 with gear on and ride a Hayabusa so it is a lot of weight. I run 30.5 on the rear and 31.5 in the front and get 2lbs of expansion in the rear and about 1.5 in the front when I pull off the track.

Some people run more in the rear than the front which seems odd to me. I assume the rear has more contact, more heat, more expansion, thus less initial pressure is needed.

So is it more in the front less in rear or vice versa? Also is the ultimate goal to have the pressures match when up to temperature or should they always be staggered?

You'll Get more expansion in the rear because you have more power than ability to turn. I always ran 30 R 30 F and my hot pressure was. 33 r 33 f this was Pilot powers. And also the setting suggested by the tire guy at midohio. You can also change the way the bike handles a little with tire pressure. To little it will feel heavy o much it will feel twitchy. I'd check with the tire guys at the track but it seems you are on the right track.

The goal is to use pressure to manage heat generation and get the tire in its operating temperature range. Less air encourages heat generation, more air resists heat generation.

Rule of thumb I was told on sportbike street tires is 10% pressure rise, which anywhere around 30 is basically 3psi. You're close, could probably have run 30/31 or maybe 30/30.5. Varies with the grip level of the track (and how much of it you're actually using).

I seem to be in the minority running more in the rear than in the front. Basically it's because I ride the front like a pussy and need to drop the pressure to generate heat, whereas I can use the rear for most of what it's worth.

The goal is to use pressure to manage heat generation and get the tire in its operating temperature range. Less air encourages heat generation, more air resists heat generation.

Rule of thumb I was told on sportbike street tires is 10% pressure rise, which anywhere around 30 is basically 3psi. You're close, could probably have run 30/31 or maybe 30/30.5. Varies with the grip level of the track (and how much of it you're actually using).

I seem to be in the minority running more in the rear than in the front. Basically it's because I ride the front like a pussy and need to drop the pressure to generate heat, whereas I can use the rear for most of what it's worth.

What do you mean by riding the front like a pussy? Is there a riding style that merits the break from the norm?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Rule of thumb on dual purpose tires is 30/30. Busa is heavier and really shouldn't drop. As stated, you look for around 10-12% increase, but only after right off the track hot.

Are you track day riding it or for aggressive street use?

I'm not real familiar with BStones at the track. But, anyone doing higher psi in the rear tire vs front tire is doing it wrong and most likely not a good source of knowledge.

What do you mean by riding the front like a pussy? Is there a riding style that merits the break from the norm?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

I just assume that since I fail to generate much heat in the front tire with a pressure equal to or greater than the rear, I must be "doing it wrong" on corner entry or something.

Dunlop Q2 and I run 28/30 (rear/front) as a general rule.

That sounds a bit low for Q2's. I believe I raced at 30 rear, 33 front. Street tires rarely need to be below 30 psi.

30/30 is a safe track pressure for virtually any street tire. The more the tire is biased toward touring, the closer I'd creap to 33 or 34 psi.

I've done some homework on the web and now I'm more confused. I'm wanting to know what is a good pressure to run on the track. I'm 260 with gear on and ride a Hayabusa so it is a lot of weight. I run 30.5 on the rear and 31.5 in the front and get 2lbs of expansion in the rear and about 1.5 in the front when I pull off the track.

Some people run more in the rear than the front which seems odd to me. I assume the rear has more contact, more heat, more expansion, thus less initial pressure is needed.

So is it more in the front less in rear or vice versa? Also is the ultimate goal to have the pressures match when up to temperature or should they always be staggered?

Congrats on running a hayabusa pretty good bike. I run my rear at 34 cold and after riding it will get around 41

Front at 36

Edited by wht_scorpion

That sounds a bit low for Q2's. I believe I raced at 30 rear, 33 front. Street tires rarely need to be below 30 psi.

30/30 is a safe track pressure for virtually any street tire. The more the tire is biased toward touring, the closer I'd creap to 33 or 34 psi.

Actually, for track use, we were running 30 front and 27 rear on Q2s with great success. Wear and handling...

Rule of thumb on dual purpose tires is 30/30. Busa is heavier and really shouldn't drop. As stated, you look for around 10-12% increase, but only after right off the track hot.

Are you track day riding it or for aggressive street use?

I'm not real familiar with BStones at the track. But, anyone doing higher psi in the rear tire vs front tire is doing it wrong and most likely not a good source of knowledge.

I'm running it on a track so I don't do aggressive street riding;) so far what I've run has worked well and I don't have any major slippage. The BT015 has been a good all around tire so far but next time I'm going for a more track oriented tire.

I may drop to 30/30 and see how that feels. I was figuring since my bike and I are so fat I may need an extra pound or two in there.

Thanks on the Busa up wht_scorpion. It is a beast and a lot of fun.

I've always ran my tires at stock pressure 36f 42r currently running Q2's at this pressure. Should I be running a lower psi? I tend to ride aggressively on the back roads.

I ran 41/41 for the first set of BT015's, manufacturer spec, and they were flat in the middle very quick and I'd spin a lot under heavy throttle, less heat and less contact patch. I'd probably drop the rear down to 38 and see how the bike reacts. 42 is pretty high if your not riding 2up. I run 38f/37r for street now.

How do your Q2's feel at that pressure?

Actually, for track use, we were running 30 front and 27 rear on Q2s with great success. Wear and handling...

I'll have to try those pressures next time at the track...I was told by Dunlop guys to run 32-34 Front and 30-32 Rear. Last time I was at Putnam i ran the low end of that range and felt fairly good.

I'll have to try those pressures next time at the track...I was told by Dunlop guys to run 32-34 Front and 30-32 Rear. Last time I was at Putnam i ran the low end of that range and felt fairly good.

The 33/31 I posted was also direct from a Dunlop vendor. I wrote it in my toolbox because I got sick of forgetting and having to ask.

Lower pressures might be better under certain track and weather conditions, but I never got below 28. Not on purpose at least...

Who were the Dunlop guys? This was tested by us with one of the test guys from Buffalo.

Hey Mike,

Last time (6/4) when we were running in the same group I was running 30-30 in my Q2s and they felt great in the turns. I think next time I am going to check the pressure expansion.

PS... I am thinking about running 7/7 or 7/16.... let me know if your thinking about going those days.

Hey Mike,

Last time (6/4) when we were running in the same group I was running 30-30 in my Q2s and they felt great in the turns. I think next time I am going to check the pressure expansion.

PS... I am thinking about running 7/7 or 7/16.... let me know if your thinking about going those days.

I am definitely thinking about running in mid July. Did you get your bike squared up after the crash? I'm trying to hustle up a track bike now since I was dragging the fairing on my Busa. Look at the Galfer sticker and you'll see the rash.a6f9668c-5f81-2e1b.jpg

I am definitely thinking about running in mid July. Did you get your bike squared up after the crash? I'm trying to hustle up a track bike now since I was dragging the fairing on my Busa. Look at the Galfer sticker and you'll see the rash.a6f9668c-5f81-2e1b.jpg

Cool, PM me when you think you might go. Are you looking for a liter bike or 600? I have seen a bunch of 600s for sale in the c-bus area.

Well my bike was in pretty decent shape after my wreck, the only damage was some scraps on the right fearing. So after digging out the gravel for 3hrs, cleaning out the throttle tube, front fork alignment check, and giving her a good spit shine she is back to normal with a little rash on the right side.

Cool, PM me when you think you might go. Are you looking for a liter bike or 600? I have seen a bunch of 600s for sale in the c-bus area.

Well my bike was in pretty decent shape after my wreck, the only damage was some scraps on the right fearing. So after digging out the gravel for 3hrs, cleaning out the throttle tube, front fork alignment check, and giving her a good spit shine she is back to normal with a little rash on the right side.

I'm looking at both types. I'm going to check out a gixxer seven fiddy tonight and I found an 05 R1 track bike for a STEAL, but its in MD.

Leaning towards the 750 as to learn how to ride effectively and still have some HP. When I'm slow entering a corner I make up for it on the way out with a a heavy twist. It seems the consensus is to get a 600, but I love me some power:rolleyes:

Glad to hear your bike is okay. Nothing worse than tossing your baby in the dirt at speed. You have a story to tell to the ladies at bike night now:cool: