Whats holding you back

Hoblick

from progression of your riding skills on the track.

this question has came into my head quite a bit.

is it experience, fear, not taking advice, to little instructions, not comfortable, no trust of the machine, lack of confidence?

i know my firs time on the track i was overwhelmed, very uncomfortable, and just didnt trust the grip of the tires, or the capability of the bike, of course i didnt really trust my capability either.

coming to the realization that i couldnt outride the bike or tires lol i started to progress, and took any advice i could. i kept in novice, i wanted to learn as much as i could, and not get in any more experienced riders way of enjoying a track day.

now i think i have done 5 or so track days now. havent moved out of novice.

i feel like i have improved leaps since the first time on the track, and i have learned alot of stuff that i apply to street riding to make me a safer, more predictable rider, as well as a bit faster.

but i think i have hit sort of a wall at the track. i know i can go faster, brake later, carry more corner speed, etc. There is just something in me not letting me take that leap of faith. the last track day i did my pace was faster than it was before, but i wanted it to be quicker, i would push myself to pick the pace up.. but then i caught myself scrubbing speed off when i probably didnt need to.

i really need to pinpoint what it is thats holding me back. I tink some of it is fear of getting hurt.. if i get hurt bad enough it would impact my life pretty badly. but i dont think thats the whole reason.

Since doing the mini racing at CRP, i think it has helped with confidence in the machine part even more. I mean your riding on tiny ass tires, and you dont think there is alot of grip available, but there is way more than you think, and you get a chance to feel the limit without alot of consequences. also riding the minis has helped me with trying to hold as much corner speed as i can.. cause with the little 100 motor, if you loose any momentum you notice it right away as the guy in front of you pulls away on an identical bike.

even at the mini races though i know i can improve a lot, but i really want to become a better, smoother, more confident rider so i can enjoy track days even more. i want to pick my pace up, and id love to eventually race Motoseries or WERA, but im not gonna go out there not feeling comfortable and confident.

so lay out some sweet sweet advice for me.

and anyone else have this feeling?

My one and only track day thus far was Puntum in Aug with Motoseries. I felt good out there as I am very comfortable on my bike. I know its feeling inside and out up to a certain pace. My biggest problem was holding a consistant line and braking points. I couldn't get enough speed thru the corners to keep it up into the next gear and on each short straight I was going up a gear then back down. Just didn't have enough track time to get that down. Hopefully next year is a different story.

I believe, that instinctively self preservation of some sort takes hold and has us backing off the throttle or grabbing at the brakes earlier than necessary. My fears are throwing my bike down and getting hurt, either scenario would affect my life drastically. Track guys can definitely attest to the mental hurdles with self confidence, and confidence in the bike's abilities.....but its something that everyone deals with at some point whether we're on the track or on the street. I'm sure its simply making ourselves push a bit further and more practice that helps us to persevere

You're on the right track with racing minis. If you can get used to the bike doing crazy shit under you and lose/regain traction and all that at 50 mph or less, it makes things for less dramatic at big bike speeds when the same thing occurs.

You also can't be afraid of crashing. If you're thinking about crashing, you're not thinking about riding well and hitting your marks.

Ryan, you know I feel the same way. My issue is -100x where you are in rider ability. I simply need more seat time.

Something to consider also, that came to light for me this season. Is the juice worth the squeeze? I found myself wanting to push my limits to have that feeling of being on the edge. Yet, I rode like a huge pussy in comparison to what I went there to do. Hellmett, said it right for me, self preservation. Looking at it now I had more to lose by having an incident that I could justify pushing the limits to.

It happens to me with snowboarding every couple of years too. I'll feel comfortable throwing 360's or a long boned out 180, for one season, then next year I just don't feel like I have any gains or learn anything.

What I have seen for that, is it sometimes builds on it's self later. In our head we want to bring it all together now and over come that sticking point. We see our self doing it. Now to get the body to execute it. For me, when the mind, body, and gear come together, just takes a little more time.

We've all seen those guys at the track though, that just go out and pick it up so fast. That's awesome, but that's them.

I think to push to that next level, you have to know you. Ryan, you see you doing it. You know you can, and have progressed. IMO, your constant exposure to different types of riding, is going to come together and you'll leap way farther in what you can do on the track, than where you feel you are stuck at now. Don't sell the bikes and go on to 4 wheeler's. LOL.

Confidience is EVERYTHING. in the end if you don't trust the bike and the tires then you wont progress because you will continuely back off because of that... and of course more importantly.. if you dont trust your own abilities then you will never progress.. 90% of people that do their first track day will never be able to outride the bike.. hell i've been riding track for 4+ years i ride a 08 R6 and my bike is still way more capable than i am. i've yet to reach the limits of that bike. an i doubt i ever will.. this include the tires i'm using

I myself trust my bike and tires every time i go out there.. obviously there are aprehensions such as weather and and the track cleanliness but as far as my machine... i know that it is better than me and i can always improve on my riding to help it... make me go faster... brake later and so on...

the hurdles are all mental.. somedays it feels great and i can push myself with out any issues and maybe i make strides or maybe just a few 10ths. others are not so good.. something does feel right. my head isnt in the right place and i cant get it all together.. those days i back it down till i feel good enough to push through it.. even in Advanced i find myself before going out just clearing my mind and riding the ride.. i know what needs to be worked on and let it come to me while ever attempting to push my limits...

no i do have fear.. i know that this is a dangerous sport and it could bite me really bad at anytime... i'm not out there for money so im certian that i hold back just a little because its just a fun day and no use getting all up and serious about a fun day.. i always tell myself the day im not having fun is the day i stop.. and the day i stop fearing what could happen is the day i get hurt

I inexplicably lost my balls. I progressed with instruction through my first three years of track days. Year four I came out and just didn't feel like pushing, so I decided I was going to just ride around at a comfortable pace. I assumed that just through experience the comfortable pace would increase. I think what happened instead is I got so locked into the same pace that anything ever the slightest bit faster was instantly uncomfortable. First day of year five I was seven seconds off my pace from the previous year and blamed it on a GP shift setup. Second day I was seven seconds slower than that. Thought about dropping the cash on race tires/warmers/generator for bolt-on confidence, but instead just threw in the towel.

I wasn't 100% confident in the bike I was riding year 5, and a particular accident did cross my mind a few times, but I am not sure if these were causes or effects.

Basically my advice if you want to go faster is to not spend much time just riding around out there, always seek instruction and be willing to push just that little bit more.

I hope to be back at some point I just needed the reset.

Confidence has been a tough issue for me.

It took me a while to get past self-preservation instincts to start trusting the grip of the tires and capabilities of the machine. Things were finally starting to click for me earlier this season and I was feeling better about going faster and carrying more speed into/through the corners...

Then I had a set-back in July when another rider tried to pass me too late going into T1 at MO...As I tipped into the turn, I found myself literally laying onto/into another bike. Felt tangled for a moment, got stood up trying to save myself, and ultimately wasn't able to make the bike finish the turn. Went horizontal as soon as the front hit the grass.

Now my lack of confidence is no longer with the bike, but in trusting the other riders...Now I get the heebie-jeebies going into some of the corners, expecting someone to run up my inside. Was getting better, though.

I learn a lot at track days, but I learned significantly more at superbike school. Yes, they do go over the same fundamentals at the track day, but the intensity of instruction at the superbike school is far more.

That being said, I increased my speed considerably after each level of superbike school. Trackdays turn out to be practice of all the things I've learned at the superbike school. Now, I find myself with so much information in my riding toolbox that I improve my riding every time I ride because I know how it should be done. As soon as I hit the point where I'm not sure how to go faster, I'll head back to superbike school for another round of level 4.

I learn a lot at track days, but I learned significantly more at superbike school. Yes, they do go over the same fundamentals at the track day, but the intensity of instruction at the superbike school is far more.

I would love to do this at some point, since I know there's a lot of improvements I could make.

This is an awesome topic and something I have talked to several riders in regards to.

There are a few issues in advancing your ability or stepping up to the next level.

Sure, some of it is fear, hesitation in stepping up to the next level, nerves, concern, etc. As you advance, each level gets harder and harder. It's like a video game. It isn't the same difficulty from Novice to Intermediate as it is from "I" to "A". Nor, is it the same difficulty while in "A" group, trying to get better within that group.

Each step is harder than the first and so, that final step is harder than the first...

I guess what I am saying is that you need to eliminate the easy stuff. Mentality will always be a road block and like the survey that is asking about your thoughts on the track, what holds you back or what do you think while "on the edge". But, as you get better, you develop a mindset that helps eliminate those mental variables.

Take a novice rider and a racer. The mentality towards this is so vastly different. I NEVER think about my family, my job, money, death, injury, etc when the shield goes down. When that shield goes down, I focus on the task. That's no matter the scenario - track day or race day. I am focused on the idea of getting better. Sure, it has it's moments when we are track day riding and we are having fun that I might be a bit more laid back and honestly, it isn't about attacking vs. sitting back. Even at a lower degree of aggressiveness like seen in a track day, I am still focused and those little bits never enter my mind. You will train yourself to do that.

BUT, there are some that cannot get over that hump. Trust me when I tell you that it is the smallest hurdle. You are not a terrible person to close out thoughts of your kids, wife, work, etc. Not at all. But, those are DISTRACTIONS. Distractions in this sport can place you in a pine box or worse, others. You need focus. For safety as well as a way to get better. Those hurdles are just that - hurdles. And, if you cannot eliminate them, you will be smacking shins on the hurdles every time you jump.

Again, it is common with newer riders. You can get through it with more seat time. I am a fan of riding anything 2 wheels. However, I am not a fan of small bikes and then jumping to big bikes. I think as an adult and your age and experience, small bikes are a great TOOL to maintain that ability and work on set skills that are pretty relative. But, you are not going to develop skills that relate to a bike that weighs 400 lbs and has about 120 plus HP difference and a track that relatively isn't to scale of a larger track.

I think taking a 14 year old on an NSR or a RS125 with a motor conversion will allow him time to develop skills that are basic and fundamental. I prefer the idea of a 125 with a smaller engine due to the size and body position, etc. In fact, the young stars are getting more and more into large framed bikes with smaller motors to maintain that relative power to size of track relationship. Once they develop the skills, they are then capable of transitioning from 125 with a smaller motor to a 125 with the 125 motor on a big track or develop into a 4 stroke and up from there.

But, as adults, we don't always have that luxury. My opinion is you need big bike seat time. You've done 4 days at the novice level and should be ready for "I". If you are not, there is a serious issue at this stage. There is nothing more than seat time that you will develop from the 5th novice day onwards in the same group. YOU NEED TO TAKE THE STEP!

The issue is that if you have these hurdles and add in the fear of the step up and the speed associated from the two groups, you are creating a big issue that will hinder progress in getting better as a rider.

You can sit and read and read and read books on what to do. However, there is no replacement for actual seat time ON BIG BIKES. You can get an MX bike (Suggest a 4 stroke for the motor characteristics) and get out in a field or grass track and do some flat tracking or road course style riding. This will allow you to understand sliding, movement under you and above all, power that is fast and rushes things to you quickly to adapt to braking, developing quick reflexes, etc. Again, CRP isn't going to hurt you as seat time on 2 wheels is awesome. But, you are not getting out of shape in the way that if you get your GSXR600 out of shape. You are also not going to get the sensation of extreme speed into a corner and having to recover, etc. A full size MX bike can provide that feeling and allow you to make mistakes and be OK. But, you need to get to Jennings over winter, you need to get in some ice racing over winter, you need to jump at getting seat time in the early spring/late winter and do track days on the big bike. That's the only way you will get better.

I think since you have an XR100, you really need to build or get with some guys and do a flat track deal. Flat tracking on smaller bikes works great as it is loose and on the edge. It is fast and is great at developing skills that relate to the big bikes. Plus, you can get this sensation on a lake or pond when the water freezes this winter...

• Upvote 1

Take a novice rider and a racer. The mentality towards this is so vastly different. I NEVER think about my family, my job, money, death, injury, etc when the shield goes down. When that shield goes down, I focus on the task. ...

This is very true... and somewhat alarming. Makes me wonder if there is something wrong with us, haha.

What i see with most people is they focus on making up a pretty nice fully built bad ass bike and all the equip to go with the bike. Then they have a major anxiety from spending all that time and $$$$ on the bike that they are not willing to risk hurting it. When going to the track you should be 100% ready to come home with a bike in pieces and not have a care in the world about that.

Another thing associated with that is people spend gobs of $$$ on parts for the bike,but skimp on the most important part TIRES!!!! Never ever go to the track with tires that are not new or at least close to new.

Now like Lizard said once the shield goes down all other thoughts must leave your head and its time to focus on the ride and how to improve it. ALLOT of people go out and ride with their friends and have a great time battling each other and that ends up being their focus while on track. SEPARATE yourself from the people you know and go out and chase the faster guy in front of you.

KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!!!! Some of the best advice I got from a fast guy years ago. At the time it made no sense to me,but now has become very clear. Work on one turn at a time and use the rest of the track to plan and practice for that 1 turn. Do this with each track and each turn at the track that you feel is a challenge for you. Also get that "my body possition is not right" and " My rebound may be 1 click off" and " why can't i go that fast" thoughts OUT of your head and RIDE!

Novice class is great to get your feet wet for maybe 1st and 2nd time at a track. If you stay in too long you never get to see or feel higher speeds so obviously you will not get much faster.Once in I group you will have slower and faster riders around you and it will teach you more about speed. Some riders may only have I group as a goal and will stay for years and years. Others have the need to get faster so they keep focused and go for A class.

Bottom line is if you want to get faster focus on the task at hand and always ride with FASTER riders and never think that you can not go faster because YOU CAN!!!

Me personally HATED people trying to TELL me how to ride faster. I needed seat time and seat time only to get faster. Of course i would ask about lines and braking points,but the rest I learned from mass mass seat time. If you are the type that needs someone to hold your hand thru all the steps it will take forever to get fast. Its up to YOU and ONLY you once you throw that leg over the bike. You can spend thousands and thousands going to those schools and it may help,but IMO that $$$$ should be spent on track time.

When you got extra $$$ the best way to spend it is on GAS,TRACK FEES and tires and just go ride and ride and ride!!! Put down the books,turn off the riding movie and GO!!!

********disclaimer********

Riding advice be it books,movies,coaches,schools or this thread should be always in the back of your mind and use the info you have. Just don't over think it!!!

KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!

As for the guys that already are doing track days and want to advance or maybe are in advance now, but want to get better and aspire to race, there are hurdles with them, as well.

Look, we all have fear. We all do. But, what happens with your mind when the bike rolls on to the track is where the differences are. I get guys that are Advanced level riders and always ask what they can do to get better. I follow them around and I also work with a good number of Intermediate riders and they all have the same thing going on. Their form is awesome! I see kids riding "I" that have an awesome style of riding. Great lean off, great body position, smooth, etc. I get jealous as I have a traditional and pretty boring riding style. Being tall tends to have me looking like I am sitting up and cruising around. But, I see kids in "I" group dragging elbows through turn one at Mid-Ohio!!!!

That aside, I watch them, find a few issues, but overall, they look good, are very smooth and really, are running fairly fast. To get to the next level for them, they need to do the small things better.

Small things... It's like I stated in the last post where as you progress to the next level, the challenges get tougher. But, those challenges are smaller in scale of what needs to be done. Mental change at the Novice level as a new rider is a HUGE ordeal to get by. But, in comparison to that, braking deeper is actually a smaller task. It is tough and it is something that is hard to get passed. But, braking isn't trying to change your mental outlook on something.

So, as you get better and you ask what you need to do to get faster/better, it is usually the small stuff. Maybe you need to work on braking later. Maybe you need to increase corner speed. Maybe you need to work on drive out.

I got behind this kid at Mid-O that was running high 36s on a regular basis and he wanted to get into 34s. Two seconds isn't a big deal from 2:00 to 1:58, but going from 36 to 34 is a big deal. That's getting to a point where you are now in race pace. The hurdle wasn't apparent as easily as say, a Novice that has to get their butt off the seat and control body position. Two seconds at the level he was is a challenge that has a lot of consequence if done poorly.

Now, understand that when the lap timer shows a high 36, it doesn't men a whole lot. Sure, it is cool to show your buddies the lowest time, but the idea is consistency. You can pull a fast lap, but if you are all over the board in lap times, you still need a ton of work. So, getting this kid his single 34 showing on his lap timer was an easier task than getting him to do low 36s consistently. But, we were on task so....

The things I saw were small. He had good lines, had great form, was doing well on corner speed as well. In fact, as it usually happens when trailing a rider while watching, he would pull me through the apex. But, he had two issues. One, consistency. Biggest issue. Second, he needed to drive stronger out of the keyhole, carousel, 8, 9, 10b, 14, etc. Finally, he needed to work on braking. He was braking too soon, but not terribly.

These are tough to get by when climbing the ladder of ability. There are more issues as you go down in rank of ability, but these are to me, the three key issues a rider faces in getting better.

Mentally, all he cared about was a lap time. I told him to ditch the lap timer. Throw it in the tool box and ride without it. Working on some other things is going to make him faster than trying to satisfy a lap time. Second, running slower lap times will make you faster. I can run a 36 through traffic with very little effort. A few moments will pop up, but overall, high 36s are pretty easy. But, jump me into 34s on the RC8 and 29s on the GSXR1000 and I have some issues. If I wanted consistent 29s the year I pulled that out of my ass, I had to be on fire and do about everything perfect. We were into high 30s during the race and that pace being only 1 to 1-1/2 seconds slower were easier and came to me better. The 34s on the RC8 were tough and even though I think we had a lot more, were nowhere near the feat of what I could pull on the Zook. If I wanted to do low 32s or 31s on the RC8, though... I would be in that realm of 29s on the GSXR...

The point is that as you get faster and as you start getting quicker in what you are doing, things happen faster. You tire faster. Your mentality changes and even your mental awareness drops a bit as you run those laps. So, I see a kid looking to do 34s make a shit pile of mistakes and only do 37s as a result. He actually went slower than he could if he calmed down. That's the rub. He wanted it too much and honestly, tried too hard and threw everything he developed at this stage, out the window. He was a mess.

I told him that he needed to slow down. Go slower. We worked a few other times and he was actually running slower and mostly low 37s. BUT, he was doing everything better. Everything. He was smoother, he was driving better. He was braking more consistently and working the corner speed as he usually was doing. His line work advanced and I could see he was able to make changes in line while at full lean. That was huge in terms of what I saw and felt he advanced.

But, he was bummed. He wanted faster and got slower.

Yes. He did. But, he was able to get used to doing the things he needed to do CORRECTLY! Doing them correctly developed a bit of comfort in doing them at the speed he was doing them at.

So, the next season, he was still running those 37s. He was still doing the things he needed well. So, we took and decided to work on drive. Drive helped that dude so much that I cannot tell you how much. His drive got so good! That propelled him into low 36s like a snap of a finger.

The next hurdle was a little less early braking. Not a huge change, but he got comfortable. But, we got stuck. He had some 35s and no 34s. I told him at a track day, 34s are going to be tough until he gets more aggressive with the traffic. Yet another challenge for track day guys...

In the end, some of these guys are going to be advanced riders and get stuck into a set time. They look at it as a failure and I hate it. I hate lap timers. I think if you can use it for segment work? Yes, they are awesome. Shoot for a set time at a set point in the track and allow that point to move when you hit traffic or make an error, etc. You cannot get too many super clean laps in a track day. So, what is your time out of the keyhole? What is your time going into Thunder Valley? What is your time as you enter turn one? Things like that...

Also, sometimes, it is a tough pill to swallow that you may be a set time kind of guy. Your ability will only go so far. If this sport were easy, everyone would be making millions racing MotoGP. It isn't. It is tough and like every sport, within the levels, there are smaller levels. Then, micro levels.

Racing has these. You can be an expert and be part of the cool kids' club, but at the expert level, you have Pro, Pro-Am, National expert, top club guy, mid pack club guy, low end club guy, etc., etc... It never stops and why I always state that everyone can learn and get better. Everyone. You cannot do anything wrong if you pursue more schooling, more reading, more riding of ANYTHING 2 wheels, etc... But, hurdles exist and mental blocks exist. And yes, even ability runs out. Being able to swallow pride and understand that maybe road racing isn't your gig is OK and nobody will shun you when you show up at a bike night.

3 Things..

1. My balls aren't very big. (I'm a cautious by nature person) plus fear of a bad bad injury especially with a wife and 8 week old baby.

2. I always think my bike needs a better set up, different adjustments, geometry, etc. when in reality I should just get out there and ride becuase the bike is better than me.

3. Technique. I still have a ton to learn between lines, braking, entry, exit, trail braking, body position, bike control, learning to let the rear slide a little, not puckering when pushing the front etc.

I was at a trackday running close to championship novice, and middle pack expert times. I was pushing and pushing and getting faster and faster.. I was shaving off seconds and one lap I pushed too hard into turn 2 at putham and mid lean i started tank slapping and sliding the front and rear.. Somehow I saved it, but after that I was checked out for the day.. i went to Barber a few weeks later and my head wasn't in it.. I later crashed that day (someone crashed in front of me) and I haven't been as fast since... I need to get my head back in it.. Hopefully getting my new bike helps! :D

It is more mental than I like to think.

• Upvote 2

To echo Brandon, being a suspension clicker guy or a tweeker isn't the way to go. Get a bseline and work on form, work on fundamentals. You will get faster and as you get faster, those "settings' you read about in books, on the internet and from your buddies are all moot.

Baselines and basic riding styles are all fine and dandy. Great places TO START. Start. But, each and every rider has a different way they process, the way they ride, the way they place pressure on certain parts of the bike. One guys leans off with elbows dragging while the other is more traditional. One guy rides the front while another squares off turns and drives out spinning. Styles and the way you process can be totally different than what a book is telling you to do or the way you see others do it, etc.

SEAT TIME is key. But, I will say that knowledge is key. LISTEN to everyone, but learn to filter. I think having people around you telling you what you need to work on is a good thing. It may be BS or it could be legit. If I tell you that you need to work on something and you do it, I am willing to bet you get faster. Is that telling someone how to go faster? I think so. Maybe what Brandon is saying is that some guys will say basic crap like "You need 30 mm cartridges to get better" or that "You need to twist the throttle wide open as often as you can." I think those things are common and agree they do nothing.

But, I think there are a ton of faster guys that are there to help you out. Some have different approaches to what they do and how they learn and so, have a different way to teach you or instruct you. The idea is that lessons to be accomplished work great. "Let's go out and you follow me and watch my lines" is something that is a HUGE asset. If you go out blindly and try to discover the best lines, it takes too long and can get frustrating or can lead to making the same mistake over and over again and going backwards or not advancing at all.

On a final note so far, I would say don't worry too much about equipment. I would say that you need safe and reliable stuff, but street tires are fine to learn on. Good condition is key of course as shit tires are dangerous, but don't feel that you need new tires every time you go out. We have had some pretty amazing rides on tires that were shagged to a point of being bald. I do not advocate that for a newer rider or someone trying to get better, but the idea is that there are sone great tires out there and what you have as long as in good shape can be just fine in learning. As you get faster? You need better tires. Q2s, etc are great choices, can be used when street riding and are prone to holding up rather well. You will not need a new set or like new tires every track day. If that were the case, I am violating that rule on a regular basis. :D

3 Things..

1. My balls aren't very big. (I'm a cautious by nature person) plus fear of a bad bad injury especially with a wife and 8 week old baby.

2. I always think my bike needs a better set up, different adjustments, geometry, etc. when in reality I should just get out there and ride becuase the bike is better than me.

3. Technique. I still have a ton to learn between lines, braking, entry, exit, trail braking, body position, bike control, learning to let the rear slide a little, not puckering when pushing the front etc.

I was at a trackday running close to championship novice, and middle pack expert times. I was pushing and pushing and getting faster and faster.. I was shaving off seconds and one lap I pushed too hard into turn 2 at putham and mid lean i started tank slapping and sliding the front and rear.. Somehow I saved it, but after that I was checked out for the day.. i went to Barber a few weeks later and my head wasn't in it.. I later crashed that day (someone crashed in front of me) and I haven't been as fast since... I need to get my head back in it.. Hopefully getting my new bike helps! :D

It is more mental than I like to think.

#1 and #2 are issues that absolutely need resolved. You can worry about the family when in the pits and off the bike. It isn't being harsh nor cold natured. It's just that if you are worrying even a TINY bit about those things, this sport is done in milliseconds. It only takes that amount of time to save something or to ball it up.

#2 is an issue a lot of riders have. I love it when we see guys show to the track with bikes that have more gizmos and components than a top shelf AMA bike has only to see them running mid "I" pace. I think it is awesome to see anyone out there, but when fiddling with components and working with new stuff every time you go out, it is counter productive.

Look at it this way, you go to the track with a bunch of new goodies and what do you have to do on top of thinking about the track and your lines, speed, braking, etc? You have to worry about why the rear is bouncing under load or the front slapping under load, etc. Those things are fine if you have the experience to ride around them until you get in. But, for a newer rider or mid level rider, those are distractions the same as worrying about your wife and kids...

Also worth noting as I read these great responses:

- none of us are professionals. While I completely understand wanting (sometimes needing) to improve and the correlation between improving and having "fun," there are absolutely times where I have needed to literally pit in and take a break, because I was getting frustrated about my pace, rather than enjoying the fact that I'm at the track, and riding a sportbike at 140mph. Safety is priority #1, then fun, THEN pace.

- The faster you go, the less room there is for you to improve. We're talking about plateaus in improvement here, but sometimes it's important to remind yourself of how far you've already come. On my first trackday, I was a disaster. By the end of my third trackday, I was slow, but safe, and I was having a blast. By the end of my first season of riding (12+ track days), I had improved A TON, and moved up to Intermediate. It took me a lot more than 12 additional track days to get from Intermediate to Advanced, because the faster you go, the tougher it gets to shave time. On day 1, and through most of YEAR 1 at the track, I could drop 10 seconds a lap in a weekend. If I could do that now, I'd be at or below lap record pace at all the 'local' tracks... Improvement is measured in tenths of a second, and sometimes in far less tangible changes. One of my biggest accomplishments last year wasn't going that much faster, but stringing together 8 laps in a row within half a second of each other, and maintaining a decent pace for race distance.

1. Tossing my track bike into 13 at M-O and it cartwheeling after me.

2. Being stationed at Ft. Campbell and my wife is still in Columbus. When I only get 4-8 days a month home, it is hard to justify spending that time in the garage instead of with the family. So progress on repairs has been slow.

3. I've only gotten out on track twice. I have knee and back injuries from the Army, so that doesn't help anything. I'm more than willing to push the bike hard (See #1), but I don't feel comfortable because it always seems like my body position is wrong. However, I'm still in the early learning stages.

4. Crashing is expensive. It would be nice to try the mini racing for a cheaper starting platform.

Dang I had typed up a long post earlier and my Internet didn't post it again, 2nd time on OR this week. Anyways, I'd echo a lot of Brian and other guys on here, I think mines 99% mental. I could never out ride my bike, tires, setup, none of that. When Brian says when he closes the visor he clears his mind and focus's on the task at hand, that is what makes a lot of you guys better, and leaves me in the back.

I simply am not good at that kind of stuff. Yes I am an adreniline junky, but the trackdays and races are 2 things that inbetween I can never fully block out life. I dont even look at my cell through the day when the first green flag flies, my wife knwos this, and my parents too, they dont even try to bother me.

And honestly its funny, because some other things I do that I probably have a much higher risk of hurting myself, I can. When I go back country skiing in CO, hike for several hours, I am able to block everything out, I think about nothing but skiing, and then I rip. I've wrecked, I've had to pole search for my ski's on all 4's, everything, but that is something I can do.

On the bike I can't, I am always thinking what if........ Sometimes I can focus for a while, and that is usually when I run the best, last race at Nelson, I was 3 seconds faster than ever, maybe it was 4, I forget, but either way, it was awesome. I just need to put all those laps together and figure out how to clear my head.