Being questioned?

JackFlash

Cliff notes please. 48 minutes long.

Cliff notes - Shut the hell up unless you like incriminating yourself. Whether your guilty or innocent. Anything you say to the police can be used against you and never for you in court.

Its really worth watching. Its explains how an honest/innocent statment can be used against you.

Cliff notes please. 48 minutes long.

Thanks for the warning. Maybe I'll revisit when I have an extra hour to blow.

PS. not saying it isn't worth the time, just prioritizing mine differently.

Cliff notes - Shut the hell up unless you like incriminating yourself.

it takes a 48 minute video for people to realize this?

Yet another reason why Americans are some of the dumbest people ever

In traffic stops the Miranda warning is not required, at least for traffic citations. I've actually said "I'm not answering that". Which pretty much stops that type of questions, and starts a batch to find a lesser problem. If you're lucky. Like a non-moving violation. I'll take that.

it takes a 48 minute video for people to realize this?

Yet another reason why Americans are some of the dumbest people ever

Yes, im sure most people know why. What i guess most people dont know is how a a simple statment can get twisted into something else or unknowingly admit guilt. They (as in the professer and officer in the video) tell you in detail how this can happen. Also the tactics and tricks used by police and investigators to use any information against you.

The video explains.

I understand that's the point of the video. My point is that if you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to hide and they can try whatever they want to twist words but in the end you've still done nothing wrong. Yes, I'm oversimplifying the hell out of it but I've also never had a run in where anything but the truth mattered

I understand that's the point of the video. My point is that if you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to hide and they can try whatever they want to twist words but in the end you've still done nothing wrong. Yes, I'm oversimplifying the hell out of it but I've also never had a run in where anything but the truth mattered

You really need to watch the video, honestly. It's not as strait forward as you are making it out to be and he even explains how easy it is for an innocent person to go to jail. It basically boils down to, if the cop THINKS you did something, they can twist your words to make it look as if you actually did to the jury. It's not about being innocent or guilty, it what the jury interprets and how simple statements can be used to psychologically change how a juror looks at a you or a case.

Edited by JStump

You really need to watch the video, honestly. It's not as strait forward as you are making it out to be and he even explains how easy it is for an innocent person to go to jail.

I don't need the video, I stay the hell out of trouble ;)

In traffic stops the Miranda warning is not required, at least for traffic citations. I've actually said "I'm not answering that". Which pretty much stops that type of questions, and starts a batch to find a lesser problem. If you're lucky. Like a non-moving violation. I'll take that.

Miranda rights only take effect when you are 1) in custody, and 2) being interrogated.

Police are allowed to "investigate" a crime to determine whether or not an arrest is necessary. You're not being interrogated until you are identified as a suspect, AND in custody. This is why your rights are read to you as you're taken into custody.

If you don't want to cooperate with police, you can refuse to answer questions, but that will normally lead to you being detained longer than necessary.

As for why people continue to talk after they've been read their rights, most people can't resist the urge to explain their actions. Even when they're guilty, they believe they can talk themselves out of trouble, or outsmart the cops.

If you've been arrested, just politely tell the officers that you intend to exercise your right to remain silent, and that you will not be answering any questions without an attorney present. DO NOT stonewall them on basic info just to be an a-hole. If they ask your name, provide your name. Case law holds that identifying information can never be incriminating, so you're just digging yourself a hole with the ill-will.