2013 motoseries novice riders?

candybluzx6

Im hoping to race the 675r this yr, so hoping to see some of you guys out there along with riding with the normal crew

Can't wait to hear what Jason has to say after riding Nelson : )

He wasn't a fan of gingerman:D

yeah... it's gonna be interesting... i think now that i am a more confident rider than i was when i went to gingerman 3.5 years i probably wont mind it

The guys bitching about Gingerman over Nelson probably don't have much seat time at either and therefore, not really able to asses the differences. Nelson can be fast and yes, it is bumpy as shit, but setup and line choice can and will make the track flow and be fast. Gingerman has elements that are just shit and until they repave everything, they are not going to change. There is a reason that even club races are no longer there...

B, what would you consider the "shit elements" of Ging? Isn't the first goal of a race track to be smooth and free of crazy patching and potholes?

Unless the surface condition is like an ice rink I'll take a mostly smooth track over a MX track any day if you catch my drift.

B, what would you consider the "shit elements" of Ging? Isn't the first goal of a race track to be smooth and free of crazy patching and potholes?

Unless the surface condition is like an ice rink I'll take a mostly smooth track over a MX track any day if you catch my drift.

The gapping seams and car induced ripples and dips in the turns. Nelson has the same things, but to say Gingerman is better than Nelson is like saying you'd rather lose your leg rather than your arm. Both are shit and both suck, but are they really that much better?

Most people that say they like one crappy track over another are those that either haven't ridden both enough to know the differences or have ridden one more than another to really understand what the results can be.

I was an advocate against Nelson for the longest time. But, at a regional and track day level? It is a fine track and can be fast and rewarding. The guys that get all spoiled over tracks like Mid-O, Barber, etc and just avoid Nelson after one visit or from what people say about it are not really worthy to be talking shit about it...

The gapping seams and car induced ripples and dips in the turns. Nelson has the same things, but to say Gingerman is better than Nelson is like saying you'd rather lose your leg rather than your arm. Both are shit and both suck, but are they really that much better?

Most people that say they like one crappy track over another are those that either haven't ridden both enough to know the differences or have ridden one more than another to really understand what the results can be.

I was an advocate against Nelson for the longest time. But, at a regional and track day level? It is a fine track and can be fast and rewarding. The guys that get all spoiled over tracks like Mid-O, Barber, etc and just avoid Nelson after one visit or from what people say about it are not really worthy to be talking shit about it...

I was worried about Nelson before I even showed up. Once I got there and actually rode the track it wasn't so intimidating after 3 or so sessions. Same with G-man, after 3 tank slappers in the first 2 sessions, I adjusted my riding and thought the place was pretty fun.

I was worried about Nelson before I even showed up. Once I got there and actually rode the track it wasn't so intimidating after 3 or so sessions. Same with G-man, after 3 tank slappers in the first 2 sessions, I adjusted my riding and thought the place was pretty fun.

Exactly. You can ride either track and get something from it. Both will make you a better rider, but again, if they are the only ones you ride, they will eventually be the tracks you know the best and simply get you "used" to the issues.

I'm a bit different in that my opinion is formed after a single trip to Ging and many trips to Nelsons. I would agree that neither is great but I think Ging has more tolerable defects, IMO. :)

your right.. but i wasnt bitching about 1 over the other..i have only been to gingerman once.. and that was 3.5 years ago and ive never been to nelson.. my comment to joshes post was purely simple... i hope its not as bad as i thought gingerman was when i honestly didn't know what the hell i was doing.. i would like to think thats different now

I'm a bit different in that my opinion is formed after a single trip to Ging and many trips to Nelsons. I would agree that neither is great but I think Ging has more tolerable defects, IMO. :)

Hey man, it can certainly be something that fits one vs another. You are right. But, the idea that some state that Nelson sucks and they have ridden it maybe 1-2 times or never raced there at all and say Gingerman is better is somewhat unfair. Like you saying Gingerman sucks balls and only being there once. Now, being there once and saying it felt better to you than Nelson, I think that's fair enough.

My opinion is that Gingerman has deteriorated over the years. I was there back when they first opened it and as late as a few years ago. It has not been adjusted since. Now, the new addition may have added to it and made it more fun, but the idea that it is a track that has gotten worse, Nelson has always been bad since the 90s. So, it is what it is. But, to see a track falling apart and nothing being done, it kinda sucks and to be honest, I may have that in my mind when thinking of critiquing the track.

But, both aren't gems in the degree other tracks are, but to say one track is better may fall more on the layout and how one struggles at another.

To say they are similar is a better comparison...

your right.. but i wasnt bitching about 1 over the other..i have only been to gingerman once.. and that was 3.5 years ago and ive never been to nelson.. my comment to joshes post was purely simple... i hope its not as bad as i thought gingerman was when i honestly didn't know what the hell i was doing.. i would like to think thats different now

No worries. It's like R1 giving more background and now yourself. I just hate hearing people say one track sucks over another when other people who want to race MS for example and check on what people say and just avoid Nelson due to people's comments alone. I know the track, not a huge fan of the track, but enjoy what MS does, the show itself and how it is ran and above all, the guys racing. I enjoy the feeling like it used to be racing before it got all serious.

It's the environment and what Todd has built into the series and how he has expanded it to be more than just Nelson. That's all. There are those on other sites I argue with that say they only will race southern tracks because they are better and the racers are faster.

While I think a lot of southern racers are fast, there are a shit pile of fast northern guys that make the trek to Barber, Road Atlanta, etc and while they may not win, place inside the top ten. Considering they are rarely at the southern tracks, that means they are pretty accomplished and fast enough to get in there and be contenders all the while racing up north. The southern guys come to Nelson and Mid-O? Northern racers are the top guys typically. It's the same in any region, right?

Point is that good racing and good racers along with a great org and solid structure make MS a great place to race and be a part of racing. Whether starting to race or a veteran looking for solid competition...