Trailering to Deals GAP

Jst2fst

Ok, so I have an opportunity to start a business venture along side my current full time job. That pertains to being a "Specialty Transporter" with that being said I'm still in the planning stages on top of mountains of research and legal work. As long as everything goes as planned I should be up and running in early to late February '13.

With that being said I'll be able to accommodate up to fifteen motorcycles if loaded the way I'm thinking about doing it but not set in stone. So my question is would anyone here be interested in me taking their motorcycle down and back from the GAP? I don't have a price set just yet but its gonna be under $80 round-trip and this could possibly be an annual thing that I'll do?

Let me know what you think about this Thanks.

What size trailer to fit 15 bikes? I think I know the way you are thinking to load them but my guess is with that large of trailer you'd have to drop them off at the north end of 129?

Cool idea and hope it works out for ya!

But I do wish you luck in your venture, I did hotshot loads, car hauling and trailer hauling for 2 years. It's a cut throat business and every one will try to undercut your price. Unless you have a very good broker and stay loaded out and back for atleast $1.50 a mile you are wasting your time.

What size trailer to fit 15 bikes? I think I know the way you are thinking to load them but my guess is with that large of trailer you'd have to drop them off at the north end of 129?

Cool idea and hope it works out for ya!

Looking at a 8.5 x 48ft Gooseneck enclosed heading on 28 to Fontana already called them and I'm good with them I can park it next to the general store.

Yea, good luck dragging a 15 bike trailer thru the Gap without incident

Oh, I'm fully aware of this is gonna be a bot of a challenge talked to NCDOT this morning and as long as the overall length is under 60ft I'm good to go with no permits needed.

But I do wish you luck in your venture, I did hotshot loads, car hauling and trailer hauling for 2 years. It's a cut throat business and every one will try to undercut your price. Unless you have a very good broker and stay loaded out and back for atleast $1.50 a mile you are wasting your time.

Yea, I've been doing my research for the past couple months I know its a tough business to do.

i may be interested.. keep us informed.

Will do its gonna be sometime before I have a definitive answer on this but I'm not counting myself out just yet.

So are you planning on buying a semi tractor/trailer and a pick-up and enclosed trailer? When people are paying you to haul their bike you can't pack them in like sardines one scratch and people will freak and your business will die. How many trips will you have to make a year just to break even on insurance costs? How many bikes do you have to have minimum per trip to cover your costs? I know it sounds like an easy money business but it's not. My buddy knows a truck driver that hauls bikes to Sturgis every year from Conneaut for $350 that is $.25/mile granted he is already going to Sturgis anyway so it's extra cash to him but I did an online quote with AA motorcycle transport and they would ship my bike from my door to Robinsville for $750 one way or $1.18/mile I can ride there for about $.10/mile to me it's a no brainer I'd ride before I'd pay or take the $1500 and buy my own trailer.

Oh, I'm fully aware of this is gonna be a bot of a challenge talked to NCDOT this morning and as long as the overall length is under 60ft I'm good to go with no permits needed.

Call again, I am very sure it is 30 feet.

US 129 GRAHAM No through truck tractors with trailers longer than 30 feet between US 74 and the Swain County line.

US 129 SWAIN

No through truck tractors with trailers longer than 30 feet, and no truck tractors with trailers longer than 48 feet, north of the Cheoah

Dam between the Graham County line and the Tennessee state line.

http://www.ncdot.gov/travel/statemapping/download/nctruckrestrix.pdf

So are you planning on buying a semi tractor/trailer and a pick-up and enclosed trailer? When people are paying you to haul their bike you can't pack them in like sardines one scratch and people will freak and your business will die. How many trips will you have to make a year just to break even on insurance costs? How many bikes do you have to have minimum per trip to cover your costs? I know it sounds like an easy money business but it's not. My buddy knows a truck driver that hauls bikes to Sturgis every year from Conneaut for $350 that is $.25/mile granted he is already going to Sturgis anyway so it's extra cash to him but I did an online quote with AA motorcycle transport and they would ship my bike from my door to Robinsville for $750 one way or $1.18/mile I can ride there for about $.10/mile to me it's a no brainer I'd ride before I'd pay or take the $1500 and buy my own trailer.

Yes, I'm aware of this this is not my sole means for income I still have a full-time job to offset costs so I'm not too worried about this. This is a decision that I have not taken to likely. I'm aware of the risks as well the rewards. I know last summer I had my motorcycle shipped to Seattle and back for $1000 and they managed to damage it in a crate. Something fell on it or they dropped it. Anyway I appreciate the concern I've talked to guys who do this as well and they said the same thing.

You will have more flexibility and load options availible to you with an open trailer and tarps than an enclosed trailer. As well as lower cost and weight. Also easier to load and secure your load

I'm aware but not many are gonna want their motorcycle or car on an open transport. Granted its done numerous times I just don't wanna deal with it in the beginning. I am looking at some hybrid trailers as another option best of both worlds.

I wish you luck, but don't you think I might be better to start smaller instead of going all in

That was my original plan but opted out of it due to the fact I'd be stopping and starting more than I'd be running with a smaller trailer. Plus I get the summers off from work so that works in my favor a lot with this.

Good luck though

Thanks,

parking isn't the issue I was thinking, its navigating 129 with that long of a setup unless you know another way in to Fontana?

Using another way to get there not even trying 129 I think its go through Ashille,NC pick up 74 to 28 if I heard that correct this morning.

Call again, I am very sure it is 30 feet.

US 129 GRAHAM No through truck tractors with trailers longer than 30 feet between US 74 and the Swain County line.

US 129 SWAIN

No through truck tractors with trailers longer than 30 feet, and no truck tractors with trailers longer than 48 feet, north of the Cheoah

Dam between the Graham County line and the Tennessee state line.

http://www.ncdot.gov/travel/statemapping/download/nctruckrestrix.pdf

I did I'm not taking 129 in I forgot what she had said but I've gotta go through Ashville to 74 and pick up 28 to Fontana if that's right

I did I'm not taking 129 in I forgot what she had said but I've gotta go through Ashville to 74 and pick up 28 to Fontana if that's right

Ohoh, got ya. There is also a ban on 28, but it is for through trucks north of 143. So you can go up to Fontana and turn around np.

I'm aware but not many are gonna want their motorcycle or car on an open transport. Granted its done numerous times I just don't wanna deal with it in the beginning. I am looking at some hybrid trailers as another option best of both worlds. ,

You are right, a few wont. But most will and you'll find motorcycle transport will be few and far between. You have to cater to the masses more than the few to get a profitable business going and the very few that demand enclosed will not make up for the price difference of enclosed let alone the loss of freight due to having enclosed. Trust me on this, I've been there. Also the expense of your IFTA, DOT, ICC, 26000+ GVW Plates and million dollar liability policy do not make this a part time venture and that's not counting the payment on truck and trailer.

I won't complicate your thread further, you can call me if you want and I will gladly talk to you further. Like I said, I've been there. I did it for 2 years and your thinking is flawed. I thought the same as you going into it and did the research too. Real world though is much different.

I wish you luck and you can call if you want but trust me, your thinking on this is wrong.

Yes, I'm aware of this this is not my sole means for income I still have a full-time job to offset costs so I'm not too worried about this. This is a decision that I have not taken to likely. I'm aware of the risks as well the rewards. I know last summer I had my motorcycle shipped to Seattle and back for $1000 and they managed to damage it in a crate. Something fell on it or they dropped it. Anyway I appreciate the concern I've talked to guys who do this as well and they said the same thing.

If you are using your full-time job to offset the costs than you aren't making any money you're losing money.

• Upvote 1

If you are planning on loading them sideways on the trailer a lot of cruisers will not fit sideways in a 8.5ft trailer.

Mine won't. And if you get the open trailer.....NO tarps!!!! The bikes can be washed upon arrival, but the scuffing and rubbing of a tarp won't come out so easily.

I wish you luck as well. Let us know if you go "all in".

I'm aware but not many are gonna want their motorcycle or car on an open transport. Granted its done numerous times I just don't wanna deal with it in the beginning. I am looking at some hybrid trailers as another option best of both worlds.

That was my original plan but opted out of it due to the fact I'd be stopping and starting more than I'd be running with a smaller trailer. Plus I get the summers off from work so that works in my favor a lot with this.

Thanks,

99% of our cars or motorcycles hauled were on open trailers. There's only 1 time I remember in 3 years the carrier using enclosed. And dealers or businesses are going to be most if your business.

I appreciate all input and concerns you guys have. I'd still like to gauge an interest for this of people wanting to use this first.

You are right, a few wont. But most will and you'll find motorcycle transport will be few and far between. You have to cater to the masses more than the few to get a profitable business going and the very few that demand enclosed will not make up for the price difference of enclosed let alone the loss of freight due to having enclosed. Trust me on this, I've been there. Also the expense of your IFTA, DOT, ICC, 26000+ GVW Plates and million dollar liability policy do not make this a part time venture and that's not counting the payment on truck and trailer.

I won't complicate your thread further, you can call me if you want and I will gladly talk to you further. Like I said, I've been there. I did it for 2 years and your thinking is flawed. I thought the same as you going into it and did the research too. Real world though is much different.

I wish you luck and you can call if you want but trust me, your thinking on this is wrong.

Will talk outside of OR PM me your number I don't have it

99% of our cars or motorcycles hauled were on open trailers. There's only 1 time I remember in 3 years the carrier using enclosed. And dealers or businesses are going to be most if your business.

I was talking to John about that a few weeks ago about this he had mentioned that.

A friend of mine used to do this to Daytona on a roll-back. Mostly the Harley crowd and they didn't mind paying. I forget how much he charged, but he made money doing it.

That be nice but I'm not just gonna be doing motorcycles I've heard peopledoing well on this but I'm not expecting to break even the year or at least for sometime at least.

Daytona would be a good time to do it they want to go and a lot have deep pockets
An open trailer might also allow you the option haul other items when you weren't hauling bikes that you wouldn't be able to haul in an enclosed.

This is a though as well but will see as time gets closer all I can say for now