What to do..

nautical1

So last year I bought my gsxr 600 with the intentions of hitting the track a lot, but I'm realizing it's going to be hard to do that this year with so much going on. At the end of last year I found myself wanting to do long 6-7 hour rides through southern ohio and the gsxr just gets uncomfortable after about half way through. So my question is does it make sense to get bar risers (if I can) for the gsxr or should I sell it for a more sport-touring oriented bike? I have a hard time coming up with reasons for selling besides the fact it gets uncomfortable no matter how in shape I am, but I don't know if bar risers will make it as comfortable as I want it, and when I looked for clip ons for my year gsxr there weren't many options since the fairing is so close to the bars when fully turned.

Thanks for any input.

No more than it would cost, try risers and drop pegs and possibly change the seat out - if you trade up to a tourer and find you dont like them as much, you cant go back nearly as easy. If you mod your Gix to suit you better and still found wanting, put it back to stock and sell the accessories then trade up

Im looking to get rid of mine for the same reason well that and I want take a trip to the coast. If it doesnt sell then Ill be buying Apex clip ons to see if it makes a difference. I have limited experience with bikes so a little nervous about the switch but I can always buy another sportbike. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll try and see if I can find any bar risers that'll work with my year gsxr and go from there. And cyclecat doesn't have anything for my gsxr but it looks like pretty nice stuff.

And IP, why wouldn't you go with sport bike clips on again? Just curious.

Edited by nautical1

Get a touring bike. To make a GSXR a highway(touring,commuting) bike it will take allot more than just risers!

I know it won't be as great as a full on touring bike but just a little bit better positioning for longer rides may help. But I may be wrong thinking risers will ease the pain a little.

Is your bike paid off? If so save up for a second one.

Yeah it was paid in cash but honestly I don't really want a second bike nor do I have extra space for another.

Edited by nautical1

I have no disagreement with the advice to try making ergonomic adjustments first, to see if that solves it for you. As stated, if that doesn't work you can always put the bike back to stock and sell it and sell the aftermarket parts.

But, having said that, I love my Daytona 675 but I probably wouldn't own it if I didn't do track days now and then. There are many good bikes that will give you 90% of the performance of a supersport and several times as much comfort and traveling capability.

I know it won't be as great as a full on touring bike but just a little bit better positioning for longer rides may help. But I may be wrong thinking risers will ease the pain a little.

Yeah it was paid in cash but honestly I don't really want a second bike nor do I have extra space for another.

I have garage space for it :D;)

But, having said that, I love my Daytona 675 but I probably wouldn't own it if I didn't do track days now and then. There are many good bikes that will give you 90% of the performance of a supersport and several times as much comfort and traveling capability.

Well I'm not saying I won't do a track day it's just that this year may be kind of hard with so much going on, but I never know.

I have garage space for it :D;)

For the right price you can keep it in there for good ha.

I've done more 500+ mile days on my 748 than I like to recall. It can be done' date=' but I've discovered the more comfortable I am, the quicker, safer and the longer I can ride in one stretch. Sit up bikes are where it's at, in my opinion.. when we're discussing street bikes.[/quote']

I can see that. The only bikes with a more upright position I've sat on are the 650r and fz8 and it felt a little weird but that could be because I'm not used to it. The ninja 250 was also more upright and fairly comfortable but I never did more than 100 mile days on it.

How do the liter bikes in a sport tourer compare to a super sport 600? I would like to stay around 600 (mainly insurance reasons and I'm still getting comfortable with the 600). I do like the monsters but I don't have the slightest idea of how basic maintenance on those are.

its not always the size of the engine but rather the delivery and tune on it. My 800 is cheaper to insure than any of the 600s I had in the past. Each insurance company has different ways of classifying motorcycles so it really depends

I borrowed a buddies fz6 for a tail of the dragon trip. I was impressed with its handling. As far as sportbikes go I've only owned 1000's but I liked how smooth the power delivery was on his fz6. The bottom end seemed slightly soft but the midrange and up was as respectable as any other 600cc sportbike I've ridden.

The maintenance on the Monster is easy. Drop it off at my place and I'll call yu when it's ready to roll. :)

I was waiting for you to say that ha, although if I keep the gsxr I'll likely be bringing it to you for some new rubbers. The fz6 I think would be a pretty nice bike but I'm just not a huge fan of the looks, I would choose the fz8 over that but used ones are rare. But the cheaper route I think is to try bar risers and like you guys said if that doesn't help I'll sell it for something else if I can sell it and not take a huge hit since I just got it last year.

Edited by nautical1