awwww yeah.. Michelin has a new tire

Hoblick

I'm not a fan of the fact that there is a mysterious point in the rear tires life when the edges go from a soft compound to a medium compound. I wouldn't want to experience that transition while throttling out of a corner.

I'm not a fan of the fact that there is a mysterious point in the rear tires life when the edges go from a soft compound to a medium compound. I wouldn't want to experience that transition while throttling out of a corner.

I would venture a guess that the underlying medium compound on the edge of the rear is never in direct contact with the pavement during the normal life of the tire.

I would venture a guess that the underlying medium compound on the edge of the rear is never in direct contact with the pavement during the normal life of the tire.

This.

Normal passenger car tires almost all have a layer of base tread underneath the top compound to improve rolling resistance and provide added protection for the belts. You have to get some pretty significant mileage beyond the wear bars to hit the sub-tread.

LoL... it's not a light switch. You probably won't notice the transition.

and i'd wager the harder compound is well below the wear marks. If you get that far down, you're probably way overdue for a replacement rear anyway, as the profile will be all kinds of messed up.