Any HD Riders out there?

AKIRA

as for handling ( Hoblic ) my Fatboy is as nimble as any street bike I ever had even the ones that were smaller than 750cc. Thats not to say that it's not heavier so its a different kinda feel than a smaller bike but nimble just the same.

So AKIRA get you a Harley and enjoy it, I know you will.

this thread was started a year ago... 

This may not be the place to debate the handling issue, but I think you need to always limit evaluations to direct comparisons of two or more bikes.  Ryan (Hoblick) put a LOT of time, money, and very good parts into his Harley, and was not able to get it to handle well enough to meet his expectations.  His demands are no doubt different than yours, probably in part because I know he has tracked an F4i and a GSXR 600 on multiple occasions.  But he has also owned a laundry list of other street bikes, including a few cruisers, which I think gives his opinion at least some weight.

I think we all need to choose our words more carefully, but also not take these kind of threads so personally.  We're passionate about the bikes we ride - that is good.  But we need not take criticisms of machinery as personal attacks.

P.S. - that Victory pictured above is pretty sweet looking, regardless of how it rides.

Edited by redkow97
  • Upvote 3

I don't care who says a FatBoy handles well. They're wrong. No offense intended, either. That's just how it is. It may handle better than a triked GoldWing, but so does my scooter. Actually, I'd bet the title to all three of my bikes that my scooter will out perform any modified FatBoy that's thrown at it.

Everything is relative... it "handles well" compared to other things they've ridden, or "handles well" for their riding style...sure

My XX handles well for the riding I do and I have gotten compliments on how well she hangs in the corners...

Likwid's vrod handles better than any other harley i've seen including vrod dave... but i suspect it had more to do with the crazy ass rider than the engineering of the bike.

I don't care who says a FatBoy handles well. They're wrong. No offense intended, either. That's just how it is. It may handle better than a triked GoldWing, but so does my scooter. Actually, I'd bet the title to all three of my bikes that my scooter will out perform any modified FatBoy that's thrown at it.

Having had a 2011 Fatboy as a loaner for 10 days, I concur.  If you've ever driven a truck with no power steering, a Fatboy may seem familiar to you.

• Upvote 1

New here so I will be careful-  I have to ask: If Harleys are so bad why does every other maunfacturer other than Ducati try to mimic them? Sorry to say but if your in the V-twin cruiser business you just cant compete with HD- Some bikes do it better, have more juice, and are less expensive, but the concept is not theirs;they are just building off someone elses ideas. (yamaha is so guilty of that with the Star bikes) They so want to be HD, but can't- the resale and culture is just not there. Harley sells a life style too, it makes their sales.  I give Ducati credit for going their own way in the crusier world. (power crusier that is!) Triumph tried with the Rocket 3 , but gave in and chased the others with its thunderbirds.

So not liking or understanding HD's is completely understandable , and respectable, but if you compare apples to apples , their is no conversation. When you copare Euro tourers and highend jap sport tourers to an HD, that is just silly- two diffrent worlds, two different camps.I would never compare my Roadglide's ride to other brands; its good at soft touring, two-up comfort and just eating up miles. can it be pushed in corners?-yep with suspension upgrades, will it win any drag races?- nope. Mine has cams , pipes and pistons and is still is slow compared to anything greater than a crusier. 98RWHP pushing 900lbs with my big ass on it is not saying much. And the money spent at Fuel Moto to get there is all bad. .

just my 2 cents,and my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Harley is so awesome that they require frequent bailouts and legislation tactics (import taxes) to stay relevant and in business.

Pretty bikes, if that's your thing. Useless as an actual motorcycle, though.

Also, welcome to the forum. :)

so you hate the Company, not the bikes? or both?

Harley is so awesome that they require frequent bailouts and legislation tactics (import taxes) to stay relevant and in business.

Pretty bikes, if that's your thing. Useless as an actual motorcycle, though.

Also, welcome to the forum. :)

Married? how is two up on any of your ducks?

Not that HD is so awsome, its the comparo's most make to the wrong class of bikes. Always a sportbike guy picking on a 800lb bike.. HD has been the target since the late 90's, Other brands make superior products in the cruiser world (Victory) but the demand is just not their. You are a bit narrow minded on this one,and i understand why yo umight feel that way.  We can pick on ducks too, but that would be dumb. It would just cause more posts over hate. not that it would make you run out and buy one but You should ride a newer touring class HD, or any  other brands touring rigs and see if you still feel the same as to how they are useless, they have come a long way. Hell the polaris has upsidedown forks-sportbike guys love that stuff!

Thanks for the welcome!

BTW- i was a sortbike guy long before I every bought a HD .I get it, so I see both sides to any of these discussions.

I have nothing against HD's as a bike I just think they are extremely over priced. My wife has a 07 vstar with less than 8000 miles on it we paid $5300 out the door at a dealer for it, its got the bags and windshield, extra chrome bits and all that. How much would a comparable HD cost and be less reliable (in my opinion) than the Yamaha? Plus I think is the stereo type that most(not all) HD riders think they need to portray(every other bike is jap scrap, my penis is bigger than yours, ect). I'll ride with anyone with any style or make of bike but if they start bashing my taste its game on. 

Harley excels at marketing and selling image...building capable motorcycles...not so much. 

Leave sport bikes out of it for a moment...just compare cruisers.  From the saddle, how is a Harley any better than a Victory, Star, Honda, etc?  By comparison, Harleys aren't particularly reliable, powerful, or good at handling.  They tend to finish middle of the pack in cruiser comparisons except for the all important "coolness factor" category, which is only important to brand fags.

A stock Harley is acceptably reliable.  Engine work tends to make them less reliable (see CVO models). 

They styling is nice, they are shiny, and they are good for standing next to at bike night.  If that is what you want in a bike then a HD is probably the right choice...BUT if you like to ride for the pure enjoyment of riding there are many, many better choices. 

I have nothing against HD's as a bike I just think they are extremely over priced. My wife has a 07 vstar with less than 8000 miles on it we paid $5300 out the door at a dealer for it, its got the bags and windshield, extra chrome bits and all that. How much would a comparable HD cost and be less reliable (in my opinion) than the Yamaha? Plus I think is the stereo type that most(not all) HD riders think they need to portray(every other bike is jap scrap, my penis is bigger than yours, ect). I'll ride with anyone with any style or make of bike but if they start bashing my taste its game on. 

Tim, you have the bike I'm lusting after! Just missed a left over 2012 connie yesterday. To answer your question about price-they are high, $19,000 for my 2010 with ABS , cruise and security is high, but i know what it will pull for trade any day of the week, which makes it all work out. 4 yrs and 32, 000 miles later I will only take a $3800 hit. ( not counting my mods which you never get back)

look at the sportser line - they are cheaper than the clone V-star Bolt they compete with!

I don't know of these relibilty issues some speak of? that crap cleared up in the early 2000's . ( post Evo) . I'm sure there are still isolated issues, but as a group reliabilty is good. what's to break? limited electronics and gaskets made in Ohio! how could they leak!

like your bike!

The Star line from Yamaha is anything but a Harley clone, they are an all around better bike "mechanically" and in handling. Harley Davidson was not first, Indian gets the nod for that and they are coming back with a vengeance against Harley. If cruisers are your thing and so is a lifestyle of fitting in and impeding traffic, then there is no better overall choice than a HOG. Is not everything a clone of something in a way, especially when there is success? Riding is not a lifestyle for me, good give a rats ass what anyone thinks about my choice in motorcycles. I am not a biker, I am a motorcyclist plain and simple. I will never own a cruiser, they flatout bore the living hell out of me, however a bagger for 2 up is hard to beat for many people. My V-Strom is a great 2 up bike as well, and I can go places most cruisers would never dare try, and it handles like it is on rails in the twisty stuff too. So ride what you like, but I don't ride to have a lifestyle or try to fit in with the club. Ghostrider......that is how I would much rather be.

• Upvote 1

Not that HD is so awsome, its the comparo's most make to the wrong class of bikes. Always a sportbike guy picking on a 800lb bike.. HD has been the target since the late 90's, Other brands make superior products in the cruiser world (Victory) but the demand is just not their. You are a bit narrow minded on this one,and i understand why yo umight feel that way.  We can pick on ducks too, but that would be dumb. It would just cause more posts over hate. not that it would make you run out and buy one but You should ride a newer touring class HD, or any  other brands touring rigs and see if you still feel the same as to how they are useless, they have come a long way. Hell the polaris has upsidedown forks-sportbike guys love that stuff!

Thanks for the welcome!

BTW- i was a sortbike guy long before I every bought a HD .I get it, so I see both sides to any of these discussions.

I don't compare any other make to Harley because, like you said, there's no comparison.   Other makes are selling the same, or better, bikes for far less.   Although the lifestyle membership isn't part of the deal with other makes, I can't see how HD justifies tacking on 4-6k for that name plate.   

As for HD being the target since the late 90's??   Nah, HD has been the target here since the inception of the big 4 and the American market place for motorcycles....period. 

I don't discount the fact that HD has something for the industry, but to say EVERY other make out there has bandwagoned behind them is blatanly untrue.   The ONLY thing HD has done in comparison to all others is that they haven't changed much at all with the trends ( to a point ) and did stick to their guns with their styling.   I also appreciate the AMA XR1200 class. It's fun to watch, albeit a bit slow, it's still impressive for the weightclass......after some substantial upgrading of course :D

Edited by Hellmutt
  • Upvote 1

Trade in value for a motorcycle does not mean squat to me, I don't buy a motorcycle on how well it will resell or hold it's value. It is just a motorcycle, they make them everyday and there are a shit ton of them out there. Make it your own to suit your needs.......my need is to RIDE!!!!

How did anyone get the idea that the V twin design, or use, or on a motorcycle is an idea that Harley Davidson owns or was first to use. Not even close. V-twins were originated in Germany and France. First use on motorcycles were Curtis in America and NSU in Germany and Griffin in France. In between, any hardware or catalog would sell you a V-twin motor that fits in the V shape of your bicycle frame. A DIY kit.

The use on bicycles is what made the market place grow.

Edited by ReconRat

Harley excels at marketing and selling image...building capable motorcycles...not so much. 

Leave sport bikes out of it for a moment...just compare cruisers.  From the saddle, how is a Harley any better than a Victory, Star, Honda, etc?  By comparison, Harleys aren't particularly reliable, powerful, or good at handling.  They tend to finish middle of the pack in cruiser comparisons except for the all important "coolness factor" category, which is only important to brand fags.

A stock Harley is acceptably reliable.  Engine work tends to make them less reliable (see CVO models). 

They styling is nice, they are shiny, and they are good for standing next to at bike night.  If that is what you want in a bike then a HD is probably the right choice...BUT if you like to ride for the pure enjoyment of riding there are many, many better choices. 

I guess ot depends on your idea of pure enjoyment Tpoppa! Something to be said about crusing down a back road with the wind in your face and tunes rolling out the radio!

My '07 zx14 was supposedly "factory rated" @ 208mph but there was no way in hell I'd ever hit 208mph not even on a perfect day.... not sure where they got that number from because Brock's had to make several mods just to break 200mph

Sure you could, the ZX14 ( after eliminating the speed governor ) will break 220mph before it runs out of gear, but it would take a few miles to do so.  Brock built his to bust 200 in the STANDING MILE.....if it was at Bonneville, he could've broke 200 easy on a stock bike fitted with a power commander.

I know, I know......this is an old thread, but reread it all and found this :D

I guess ot depends on your idea of pure enjoyment Tpoppa! Something to be said about crusing down a back road with the wind in your face and tunes rolling out the radio!

I wear a helmet and proper gear all the time, so there is no wind or bugs in my face. :) Pretty pro ATGATT group here, but I have zero issue with those that chose not to wear  gear or minimal at best.......your life and your choice. If you travel and explore allot in all weather conditions on 2 wheels, you will tend to wear gear more times than not. We are not a big cruiser crowd here "especially Harley", but we all love everything motorcycles that is for sure.

I wear a helmet and proper gear all the time, so there is no wind or bugs in my face. :) Pretty pro ATGATT group here, but I have zero issue with those that chose not to wear  gear or minimal at best.......your life and your choice. If you travel and explore allot in all weather conditions on 2 wheels, you will tend to wear gear more times than not. We are not a big cruiser crowd here "especially Harley", but we all love everything motorcycles that is for sure.

I enjoy cruising back roads with the wind in my face, jamming to music, but that's only a small part of the riding I do... I can do that on my bike, it's quite capable and quite comfortable for that purpose. Now when I want to get up and go somewhere in a hurry, I can flip my face shield down, snap the shifter a few times crack the throttle and snap up through the gears...

I can enter a corner carrying a fair amount of speed and not have to worry about dragging hard parts at apex. I can take it to a track day and spend a couple hours railing it through corners as fast as I dare, or even hop on it and travel across the country on a whim. I've taken it out on adventure rides where most of the roads were unpaved, and crossed a huge mud puddle to reach the northeast corner of the state. It does all those things, and anything I've ever needed it to do.

That's the reason harleys never really appealed to me, they are limited to a small minority of the actual riding I enjoy. I don't find them particularly comfortable, particularly nimble, or particularly powerful. They make noise that some people like, but so does the stereo on my bike.They are fine if all the riding you want to do is limited to cruising relatively slow down roads that are generally paved and dry, but there are so many other bikes that can do that and much more. If "look at me" is your thing and you want lots of people to see you sitting on a lot of chrome and nostalgia, then harleys are great. If you're actually looking for the best ride for the money, then harleys probably aren't it.

The Star line from Yamaha is anything but a Harley clone, they are an all around better bike "mechanically" and in handling. Harley Davidson was not first, Indian gets the nod for that and they are coming back with a vengeance against Harley. If cruisers are your thing and so is a lifestyle of fitting in and impeding traffic, then there is no better overall choice than a HOG. Is not everything a clone of something in a way, especially when there is success? Riding is not a lifestyle for me, good give a rats ass what anyone thinks about my choice in motorcycles. I am not a biker, I am a motorcyclist plain and simple. I will never own a cruiser, they flatout bore the living hell out of me, however a bagger for 2 up is hard to beat for many people. My V-Strom is a great 2 up bike as well, and I can go places most cruisers would never dare try, and it handles like it is on rails in the twisty stuff too. So ride what you like, but I don't ride to have a lifestyle or try to fit in with the club. Ghostrider......that is how I would much rather be.

Sorry Pokey, but they look just like "other bikes" made by "another" brand. Tech aside , which I said was better on some bikes, a bolt is a dead ringer for a sportster (and was the target says yamaha) , and a stratoline is a street glide or cross country any day of the week. The raider is a strech to call a softail, but some could make the argument. Can't beat them, so join them seems to fit, making the big 4 dumb down their bikes to gain sales .It's not my fault , its just the way it is.  

Not a lifestyle guy pokey, I too am a rider, not a biker.  thats why I joined here. I am in the process of adding a sport tourer to my stable. Just not one to let other peoples views make me agree with nonsense. This is a sport based forum so I didint think I would gain much support. Just trying to help see there is more to HD than bandanas, beer and chaps. I read your other post- Vstrom guys keep there stuff for ever! resale doesnt matter to you !

J_T

Welcome to the forum now there are at least 4 of us HD owners on the site. Don't let these guys scare you off no matter what you hear they are all just a little jealous and some day most of them will grow up and buy a real mans bike. Once you get past the Harley razzing you will see they are all a pretty good bunch of guys and to be truthful I think none of them really care what anyone rides

As far as reliability goes I have owned 3 Harleys since 1995 and averaged over 50 thousand miles on each and the only problem I have had was with rear spokes on one of them but not a single other problem with any of them so the reliability talk is all BS your bike is only as reliable as you let it be.

Again Welcome Rick.

not sure of what your driving at? see you stereo typed me.  I wear gear- nothing wrong with a openface helmet. 

J_T

Welcome to the forum now there are at least 4 of us HD owners on the site. Don't let these guys scare you off no matter what you hear they are all just a little jealous and some day most of them will grow up and buy a real mans bike. Once you get past the Harley razzing you will see they are all a pretty good bunch of guys and to be truthful I think none of them really care what anyone rides

As far as reliability goes I have owned 3 Harleys since 1995 and averaged over 50 thousand miles on each and the only problem I have had was with rear spokes on one of them but not a single other problem with any of them so the reliability talk is all BS your bike is only as reliable as you let it be.

Again Welcome Rick.

thanks Rick- don't worry they don't scare me. Not like Im trolling - just looking for a fair shake. I quess its owed to us, theys guys would get flamed to death on a HD site. so I can understand.