Any HD Riders out there?

AKIRA

Not a lot of black birds around - are you a Thompson drag raceway guy? I think I already know you. That's like 12 min. From my house. I spent a lot of Wednesday Nights there in my years!

Never took her out to Thompson, considered it a few times, but didn't know what i needed to pass tech.

Never took her out to Thompson, considered it a few times, but didn't know what i needed to pass tech.

Helmet , coat , gloves , closed toe shoe . And $10.00.! Oh and you must cave a chain guard. Crazy that you must have a chain guard but zero skill is required! Black birds suffer their a little since the linked brakes don't allow for a good burn . They spray compound but dry hops are not enough there. Don't be surprised if you spin. Some guys dig it since they don't wheelie as much .

Looks like I might need another Yamaha in the garage, and why isn't uber reliable Suzuki on that list? BMW is only first because of the rear drive failures they had for a few years, and possibly some CANBUS issues. Considering their top selling model is the GS and it can be put into several of those categories, I have to wonder how they ultimately broke down the models for them? I am betting that the current crop of BMW's will be extremely reliable for the next few years, it will be interesting to see more data at that point for another comparison. Harley's in stock form are very reliable, but so many just love to dick around with the exhaust and fuel management, which done to a non high performance engine makes no sense to me. Well I guess the point is to make more noise, so I reckon that makes sense. :)

Edited by Pokey

H-D has the highest resale value and trade in value!  Keep this in mind.  No

more oil leaks, though we still get the 1980's jokes about it!

I hear this a lot, but I don't agree that higher resale adds to the value when the purchase price is also higher to begin with. 

Perhaps HD's do in fact depreciate at a slower rate than their Japanese counterparts, but especially when you're financing one for longer, you're eating into that alleged additional value.

Resale doesn't mean much to anyone, but HD riders. I couldnt care less what my bike is worth, I plan to ride it til it falls apart. Stereotypically, HD owners ride to and from the bar, only putting 300-500 miles a year before moving to the next shiny pile of chrome.

I don't mind the bikes, they are decent enough and though it's taken 60 years, they finally have a reliable powerplant.

Sent while riding

• Upvote 1

Bud, the HD jokes aren't limited to oil leaks. I'd say the bike is honestly the least comical part about the whole damn HD lifestyle.

On this comical scale, where would you rank adult men playing dress-up?

edit for visual aid

6710908113_671b0dc255_o.jpg

Edited by Tpoppa
  • Upvote 1

. Stereotypically, HD owners ride to and from the bar, only putting 300-500 miles a year before moving to the next shiny pile of chrome.

I do not know where you get your information from but I put 585 miles a week on my bike during the summer just back and forth to work I also ride with about 30 other HD riders from the American Legion in Ravenna And we have a pool every year the rider with the most miles at the end of the summer takes the prize the lowest miles for the group was a little over 3500 I ended up with over 9000 and still did not win. And yes we do stop at a lot of bars but we do know how to have a lot of fun. As far as safety goes we had 0 accidents last year on every one of our rides can this group say the same. On resale values I currently have a 2012 Softail Classic that is paid for I am looking at up grading to a new bike a 2014 Street glide Special for a difference of about $4500 counting upgrades Exhaust intake and supper tuner so the way I look at it I’m only paying $4500 of a brand new $22.000 bike. I like all the lame attempts at flaming HD and their riders thanks I find it funny but if you guys really want to learn how to do it right go to some of the big HD forums and do a search on something like power rangers

I find it funny but if you guys really want to learn how to do it right go to some of the big HD forums and do a search on something like power rangers

The difference of course is that the "power rangers" suit is a functional piece of safety equipment... please tell me how the leather vest and tassels have function...

Edited by magley64
  • Upvote 2

I do not know where you get your information from

I believe he said "the stereotypical HD rider."

the humor in any stereotype comes from the inherent absurdity of believing it actually applies to ALL members of a given group.

If it hasn't been obvious from my posts in this thread, I vacillate on Harleys.  I have no plans or desire to own one, and I think they are mechanically inferior in some ways to their competition, but at the same time, I applaud their ability to market and build brand loyalty.  Enthusiasm for low-powered and out-dated two-wheeled technology is still enthusiasm for two-wheels.  That (generally) benefits all of us, and is something to embrace.

• Upvote 1

The difference of course is that the "power rangers" suit is a functional piece of safety equipment... please tell me how the leather vest and tassels have function...

I wonder if Barnacle Bill will make me an actually power-ranger leather suit...

Resale doesn't mean much to anyone, but HD riders. I couldnt care less what my bike is worth, I plan to ride it til it falls apart. Stereotypically, HD owners ride to and from the bar, only putting 300-500 miles a year before moving to the next shiny pile of chrome.

Sent while riding

I hear this, but any time I'm on the road (nearly 40,000 miles of work-driving last year) and the sun isn't warming vaginas, all I see are HD Baggers, GoldWings, and Beemers.

Heavy-duty, rather than quoting your whole post I will just respond....you even quoted the most important word of my entire post...stereotypically...

So you and your 30 hell raisin, beer drinkin, road ragin buddies ride a lot of miles. Your group is the minority.

Sent while riding

I hear this, but any time I'm on the road (nearly 40,000 miles of work-driving last year) and the sun isn't warming vaginas, all I see are HD Baggers, GoldWings, and Beemers.

All I see on the road around here when temps drop below 60 is a blackbird and a KLR... My bike, and my buddy Wayde...

NO the big difference is the power rangers know they are going to crash and the cruiser groups do everything they can not to I did a search of crashes by bike category here is what I came up with.

Insurance Stats

Cruise.5.7 deaths per 10,000 registered motorcycles

Touring.6.5 deaths per 10,000 registered motorcycles

Sport.33.2 deaths per 10,000 registered motorcycles