anybody here ever build a track?

Mary#17

My parents have 27 acres and we want to build a small track with some jumps and stuff like that. Nothing super serious but just for fun and pretending that we are flying through the air ;)

We need to bring some fill dirt in and have no clue how much dirt we would need for various size jumps, etc. Also, should we be searching for a certain type of dirt? We've seen some ads for clay but I'm not sure if that is going to work except for maybe making a base.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated as I'm totally clueless with this. Thanks!

Mary

You need a dozer and at least a Bobcat. A dozer will move dirt MUCH faster and allow you to scrape up dirt more effectively and move it efficiently.

Depends on seriousness of work needed, but we have built tracks rather fast. And I am talking serious jumps and full outdoor style stuff. Not an expert by any means, but my buddy in Cincy is a killer track guy with a proper mindset to make it user friendly.

You need a LOT of dirt. A lot. More than you can probably imagine. Again, depending on the size of the jumps. Even a kid friendly track like what we did in the wooded area we have, I used a good amount of dirt.

We are looking at another building of a track in our other area of woods, but won't do that until we add in a drive for the out building. Even with over a 1/4 drive, we will need a shit ton more dirt. Again, if open land, I would get a dozer and start pushing...

We already have plans to rent a bobcat. I don't want to dig out my parent's land so I don't think we'll need the dozer. That's why we want the fill dirt. I think my husband is underestimating how much it will take. I think we will just buy as much dirt as we can afford and then just keep adding on every year. Do you know of any web sites on how to's? We found the dirtwerks site but that is just waaaaaaaaay too much for us.

Mary

Are you looking at building an MX track or just a fun single track loop? An MX track with jumps and such is a real project and takes lots of dirt, real equipment and maintenance. No a single track loop is easier. I used my tractor to mow the tall grass and then just rode the area over and over. Then I used dirt from a pond I dug to make some obstacles and little jumps.

Most people I know who build a private track on their property get most of the dirt for the jumps by digging out a pond to water it with. It takes forever to build even a small table top with a bobcat - nice to have an excavator and dozer to at least move the majority of the dirt where you want it.

I've built a few. As mentioned, it's either going to take A LOT of dirt to be hauled in, or you can chip away at scraping it up, but that takes alot of time, and a lot of thought going into drainage. Remember drainage!

I have built one and used a large skid steer. Like everyone else has said lots of dirt if your building safe jumps like table tops you will use lots. Drainage is another thing to think of. Otherwise your track will develop huge holes very quickly and require lots of maintenance.

My suggestion is to find some scrap drainage tubes that can be used to help build your jumps. Sometimes construction sites will have scrap that they will give you. I was able to score 4 foot sections. Also talk to local home builders in the area. Many need to get rid of the dirt they dig out. If your close they might save money dumping it at your place. We actually got over 40 dump truck loads free!

Finally prepare and map out your track before you waste time and fuel moving dirt around.

I have built one and used a large skid steer. Like everyone else has said lots of dirt if your building safe jumps like table tops you will use lots. Drainage is another thing to think of. Otherwise your track will develop huge holes very quickly and require lots of maintenance.

My suggestion is to find some scrap drainage tubes that can be used to help build your jumps. Sometimes construction sites will have scrap that they will give you. I was able to score 4 foot sections. Also talk to local home builders in the area. Many need to get rid of the dirt they dig out. If your close they might save money dumping it at your place. We actually got over 40 dump truck loads free!

Finally prepare and map out your track before you waste time and fuel moving dirt around.

Those are really good ideas. Thanks! I think they are breaking ground on some new developments in the spring. I'll have to go and talk to them. I also know one of the PM's from Drees Homes and might be able to get him to help.

Mary

Free dirt is key! Because it takes a lot. Might he better off paying someone who knows what do to to come do it. Because you'll waste a lot time with rented equipment and then getting acquainted with it and know how to build a decent jump.

Free dirt is key! Because it takes a lot. Might he better off paying someone who knows what do to to come do it. Because you'll waste a lot time with rented equipment and then getting acquainted with it and know how to build a decent jump.

Ha! And, deprive my husband from playing with dirt and a bobcat - not going to happen. I'm no fool, this is all about him wanted to move dirt around and do bobcat wheelies like Travis Pastrana. ;)

Mary

we built my track with just an Allis-Chalmers tractor with a bucket. all the dirt we used was from the surrounding landscape. We buried chunks of waste concrete,fuel tanks, etc to help take up some space in the big table top. clay is definitely the best as it will pack very well and resist corrosion from rain.

If you rent, expect a lot of dough to fly away...

The end is what do you want out of it? Small safe tracks can be done easily and fast. Legit MX style tracks will take you a LOOOOOONG time. All great suggestions and I think you'll be shocked how much time it takes. I'd honestly, hire someone to do it... They can get in and do it fast and you'd end up probably saving money.

You can still rent the Bobcat at times because you need to maintain and you can't let it go or it will turn to shit.

Also best consider the pond idea as you need to water. The pond idea is great because it gets you dirt and water to use in the summer. Otherwise, you will have concrete with terrible cracking, etc...

Here are some of the obstacles I made out back from digging the pond below.

Who, this just show's how much dirt you will need to build a track. Cause I see a few jumps, no big table tops & a decent size pond!

I have never built a track, but I used to help guys from school build jumps by digging out in front of it, and tossing the dirt all to one side. Cuts the effort in half (sort of).

The dips in front of the jumps would flood on occasion, but as long as they rode around them when it was really wet, the 'track' was still useable, and fixing up the ruts was never more than a few minutes of shoveling.

This was all done by 16 yr olds with shovels and rakes btw. I didn't ride back then, but I used to skip church and hang out. they would get decent air.