Tires, do I need two rears?

bshultz0930

Id runhigher pressure. and I would also get a Pilot road tire. they are made for commuting and have a harder center so this wont happen as quickly.when you are riding the slab this is going to happen everytime.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always shred the sides of my tires and they have plenty of tread left on the middle. We should swap tires. :)

PS - I usually get around 1,500 out of a rear and twice that out of a front. But I live near the twisties and don't commute.

Pilot Road 2 or 3. Gives ya hard compound on the center for the slab and soft on the sides for carving corners. I get 10k out of my rears as a norm and I live in the land of 1 mile square roads. And if you're getting 8k out of a 2ct, you're doing better than anyone else I know using them.

Sent from the Crapper via Tapatalk

I run 30 all the time. Seems to be a good in between. If its super cold ill drop them to 25. Ill probably just buy a used rim and run a tire for the weekend fun and a tire for weekly commute. My fronts got it a very little bit, but it's not bad at all.

30 pounds in the rear is way too low. That alone will cause them to square. Try the road 2's and run 40/36psi.

30 pounds in the rear is way too low. That alone will cause them to square. Try the road 2's and run 40/36psi.

Not in a 2ct its not and not for an aggresive rider. I run 30/30

40 rear is touring pressure. Hes not far off on pressure its just the wrong tire for him, he needs a touring tire and 40psi. Theres no edge wear on that tire hes not a twistie rider, well maybe by his terms he is but not by mine or most others here

8000 miles, there is nothing to learn here. Except we might learn somthing from you getting that kind of mileage.

Loose weight, ride a straight line, no hard braking, no passengers, no hard accel, no speeding. Mileage gained.

And no flapping arms at $1.87 or kicking it sideways at 120 or runnin from the choppa :)

Not in a 2ct its not and not for an aggresive rider. I run 30/30

40 rear is touring pressure. Hes not far off on pressure its just the wrong tire for him, he needs a touring tire and 40psi. Theres no edge wear on that tire hes not a twistie rider, well maybe by his terms he is but not by mine or most others here

I was told to run 40/36 by a tire Bubby. The swing arm says 42/38. I have been running 36/34 and my rear center is worn after 4k but it isn't squared off.

PR2's. YMMV

Loose weight, ride a straight line, no hard braking, no passengers, no hard accel, no speeding. Mileage gained.

And no flapping arms at $1.87 or kicking it sideways at 120 or runnin from the choppa :)

Well shit, might as well buy a prius:nono:

well with the 8k miles on this set, i can tell you only about 1000 of them were twisties. AND to even get to decent twisties im usually riding close to 75 miles just to meet up with doc or dgasser etc. the set before that werent nearly as bad because i was doing twisties all summer with them. but i guess ill just try a different tire before i go to a second rim and tire. thats the second set in a row ive used the 2ct's.

No tire made is to run below 26psi. No tire is designed for that. And agreed your tire pressures are a bit too low. It's ok to drop a little pressure, since the manufacturer's numbers are usually for two up riders with extra stuff. For solo riding dropping pressure 25%, to what is then 75% of the max pressures is about the most you'd drop. Dropping too much in the front will alter the feel and steering. Under-steer feeling, it will push out. And that 26psi minimum thing, the front doesn't like getting close to that.

And the pressures on the tire sidewall are not the pressures for your bike. The pressures shown on the bike or in the manual are the ones I'm talking about. If you're using the stock size tires.

And yeah, you're getting a lot of miles from the tires. And also agree stick with a dual compound in at least the rear, that you like. That will help limit the flat spotting. Although it's a motorcycle tire, it wants to flat spot constantly.

I understand 25 is a little low, but when I say cold I'm talking like 25 degrees cold, trying to heat them up a little more. It is a little on the sketchy side but I was looking for more heat out of the tire. I'm easy on the bike when they're that low anyway.

No tire made is to run below 26psi. No tire is designed for that. And agreed your tire pressures are a bit too low. It's ok to drop a little pressure, since the manufacturer's numbers are usually for two up riders with extra stuff. For solo riding dropping pressure 25%, to what is then 75% of the max pressures is about the most you'd drop. Dropping too much in the front will alter the feel and steering. Under-steer feeling, it will push out. And that 26psi minimum thing, the front doesn't like getting close to that.

And the pressures on the tire sidewall are not the pressures for your bike. The pressures shown on the bike or in the manual are the ones I'm talking about. If you're using the stock size tires.

And yeah, you're getting a lot of miles from the tires. And also agree stick with a dual compound in at least the rear, that you like. That will help limit the flat spotting. Although it's a motorcycle tire, it wants to flat spot constantly.

Definitely this ^^^ When I mentioned pulling a few psi out, I run mine around 38-40 and took it down to about 35-37 -- but like I said, it didn't really change the feel much and I could still tell when it would get on/off the flat spot.

I'm with these guys, if you're getting over 7-8k out of a tire I would replace them and call it good -- that's stellar mileage out of a rear.

Edited by Hellmutt

8K is an unbelievably good result out of 2ct's. get PR2 or PR3 and you'll probably get some ungodly number.

also, i have a bunch of street tires (Q2's and BT016's and others) that I used on the track that have almost 90% or more of the center and plenty of meat/grip on the sides for street riding (unless you're Uncle Pink or IP or the like). $50 per rear, $25 per front. I use them on my street bike(s).

8K is an unbelievably good result out of 2ct's. get PR2 or PR3 and you'll probably get some ungodly number.

also, i have a bunch of street tires (Q2's and BT016's and others) that I used on the track that have almost 90% or more of the center and plenty of meat/grip on the sides for street riding (unless you're Uncle Pink or IP or the like). $50 per rear, $25 per front. I use them on my street bike(s).

What sizes, ya noob?

If you want more mileage out of a tire add air, if you want less take some out. This formula works no matter which tire you have and your riding style.

If you want to get to the highest pressure for your riding style it's fairly easy to figure if you aren't worried about replacing them.

Find the curviest road you like and run it aggressively, if you have rolled your tires up with boogers drop the pressure until you don't do that anymore. Your tires should remain smooth for street riding. If you can run maximum pressure without cold sheering the tires then you should step up to a sport touring tire.

Trying to decipher what you need over the internet will be impossible because a lot of what dictates your tire pressure is what you want out of them and what bike you ride. You can add a lot of pressure, never get them up to temperature but be perfectly satisfied with that combination. You can lower the pressure, have gobs of grip and not need that entire grip.

I run 32f/30r with 2cts. Back when I had the 2003 600 I tried to run DOT track takeoffs at 22PSI because they were made for that pressure but hated them on the street because I couldn't get them hot enough for traction. I get really shitty mileage from a tire but I like the safety of having the extra grip. I figure that having that safety margin, paying for it by buying more tires is cheaper and safer than crashing. When riding my scooter I have the maximum pressure for two up riding in them at all times and they are long lasting tires. Totally different riding styles between the two bikes with totally different results.