Where Do You Wash Your Bike???

Cdubyah

This is mainly focused toward apartment dwellers in the city.

Last year I just used the water spigot outside of my door in my apartment complex. No real problem.

Apparently they caught on to my use of water, and now require a spigot key. Or they just haven't released it from winter lockup.

Either way, I can no longer was my bike by hand at my apartment. Unless I want to haul water up and down the stairs. I'm pretty miffed about it, because my bike is damn dirty.

So back the original question. Where do you other apartment dwellers wash your bike? Do you take it to the quarter wash? Friends house? Fire hydrant during FD checks?

Right now my options are to carry buckets of water up and down the stairs, or goto the quarter wash. Never done the quarter was before. So I'm mildly leary about it.

Thanks.

Sheit.  Just hit up Lowes or HomeDepot and buy yourself your own spigot handle.  Purty sure they're all standard since about the dawn of time.  Maybe to be perfectly correct, contact the apt manager and offer to pay an extra 2 or 3 bucks a month to cover water.

Unless I literally got mud all over a bike, which never happens, I don't wash my bikes. All you need is to wipe down your ride with a microfiber cloth and a bottle of Turtle Wax Ice detailing spray. Spritz it on, immediately wipe off with the first cloth and then buff lightly with another microfiber cloth. My bikes are immaculate at all times and I ride constantly. Just wipe it down every ride and hit the rims every 2-3 times. I seriously cannot remember the last time I used water on a bike.

• Upvote 1

This is mainly focused toward apartment dwellers in the city.

Last year I just used the water spigot outside of my door in my apartment complex. No real problem.

Apparently they caught on to my use of water, and now require a spigot key. Or they just haven't released it from winter lockup.

Either way, I can no longer was my bike by hand at my apartment. Unless I want to haul water up and down the stairs. I'm pretty miffed about it, because my bike is damn dirty.

So back the original question. Where do you other apartment dwellers wash your bike? Do you take it to the quarter wash? Friends house? Fire hydrant during FD checks?

Right now my options are to carry buckets of water up and down the stairs, or goto the quarter wash. Never done the quarter was before. So I'm mildly leary about it.

Thanks.

I wheel mine into my apartment and use a microfiber cloth with some Mother quick detailer and to get the wheels clean i use WD40, works like a charm!

I wash mine with the spigot outside our townhouse apt.  No problems.  Call the apt and see if they can fix the spigot or at least explain what's going on.  Otherwise just pick up something like Motul Wash 'n Wax and use that.  Works great!

Unless I literally got mud all over a bike, which never happens, I don't wash my bikes. All you need is to wipe down your ride with a microfiber cloth and a bottle of Turtle Wax Ice detailing spray. Spritz it on, immediately wipe off with the first cloth and then buff lightly with another microfiber cloth. My bikes are immaculate at all times and I ride constantly. Just wipe it down every ride and hit the rims every 2-3 times. I seriously cannot remember the last time I used water on a bike.

This

Pledge works good and that is what I used to use.

When I was in Chicago, I would go to the quarter wash and use the wand to get the bike wet. The wands always sprayed a little so I never had to use the high pressure. I would take a towel or two and then dry it off. Living on the 22nd floor and having the bike in a parking garage, under a cover, it still got dusty.

If I had to use the high pressure, I just stood back and misted the bike to get it wet and a bit soapy to wash the grime off. Eventually, I just gave up and rented a storage locker that allowed me to wheel the bike in and out when I wanted to ride. It was a pain but I didn't have to worry about it getting stolen, abused by weather or damaged.

How do you keep the chrome shiny for bike nights and bar hopping?

I have to find another way, I just took the fairings off of mine and washed them in the sink, then wiped the rest of it down with a rag and some wax. Took a really long time and still not how I would like it.

I use a combination of Simple Green, Brake Cleaner, Honda Polish, and some kind of wax when I clean the bikes (which is not very frequent).

Here's hoping you dont mean in some form of a solution all together. 

• Upvote 1