Car Tars (tires)..too many options

2talltim

Bubby MP reminded me tonight that need to get on the ball and get some tars on the wifes Impala before the snow flies. I'd like good tread wear, all season and decent grip in the wet and snow maybe a touring tire, and keep it at or below $115 ish plus mounting per tire(I mean tar). I was looking at the Pirelli P4 Four Season, or maybe the Goodyear Assurance touring. I need a 225/60-16

http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/car/sheet/p4_four_seasons.html

http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/assurance-comfortred-touring?ub=Y&updatecase=passivelyStored&action=save&webprodid=27&productcode=41339332900000

Anyone else have any input, stories or suggestions?

Edited by 2talltim

If this winter is anything like they are saying, you're gonna want grip over the next 4 months...

Of course columbus doesn't get it near as bad as bula, so maybe you won't need it... our snow is measured in feet, not an "all season" area.

Edited by magley64

If this winter is anything like they are saying, you're gonna want grip over the next 4 months...

Of course columbus doesn't get it near as bad as bula, so maybe you won't need it... our snow is measured in feet, not an "all season" area.

yea if its real bad she will drive the Tahoe and I will steal the old mans ranger

Coincidentally, I went through this debate with my '09 Legacy and my wife's '07 Impala about this time last year and spent a LOT of time checking out tire reviews.  My bias was more toward an all-season with good snow performance as we both work at a hospital and have to head out regardless of conditions.

We ended up putting the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred All-Seasons on my wife's 2007 Impala.  Have had pretty good reviews and we've been very happy with them.  Good traction, confident steering.  I was torn between those and the Nokian WRG2.  They were pretty close in price normally, but Discount Tire ran a deal I couldn't pass up on the Goodyears and the decision was made.  My dad runs the WRG2 on his car and likes them a lot.  If prices are similar, I would go with the WRG2, however.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+TripleTred+All-Season&partnum=26HR6ATTAS&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=2007&autoModel=Impala%20LS%20Sedan&autoModClar=With%20Metal%20Valve%20Stems

The '09 Legacy I went with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS.  They may not be available in the right size for your Impala as I couldn't find them for the 2007, but if they are they're fantastic tires equivalent in performance to the Nokians but less expensive with a better warranty.

Coincidentally, I went through this debate with my '09 Legacy and my wife's '07 Impala about this time last year and spent a LOT of time checking out tire reviews. My bias was more toward an all-season with good snow performance as we both work at a hospital and have to head out regardless of conditions.

We ended up putting the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred All-Seasons on my wife's 2007 Impala. Have had pretty good reviews and we've been very happy with them. Good traction, confident steering. I was torn between those and the Nokian WRG2. They were pretty close in price normally, but Discount Tire ran a deal I couldn't pass up on the Goodyears and the decision was made. My dad runs the WRG2 on his car and likes them a lot. If prices are similar, I would go with the WRG2, however.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+TripleTred+All-Season&partnum=26HR6ATTAS&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=2007&autoModel=Impala%20LS%20Sedan&autoModClar=With%20Metal%20Valve%20Stems

The '09 Legacy I went with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. They may not be available in the right size for your Impala as I couldn't find them for the 2007, but if they are they're fantastic tires equivalent in performance to the Nokians but less expensive with a better warranty.

I did like the Triple treads but the cheapest I found them was $131 so they are now a top option.

Blizzak ws70

Snow tires are a perpetuated myth by the tire companies, maybe if it was the 1930s to 1970s and you lived in a place that didn't have snow plows, but any modern car does just fine with all seasons.

Hell I had some Chilean tires I found in the back of the warehouse of a firestone I worked at rated for mud and SAND so I through them on my neon and I swear, that pos neon nothing could stop it in the snow.

Goodyear has a decent sale going on and those TripleTred's look like a decent compromise for safety in the snow.  I was just at the local shop yesterday getting news shoes for the F-150 - went with the DuraTrac's. 

Snow tires are a perpetuated myth by the tire companies, maybe if it was the 1930s to 1970s and you lived in a place that didn't have snow plows, but any modern car does just fine with all seasons.

Hell I had some Chilean tires I found in the back of the warehouse of a firestone I worked at rated for mud and SAND so I through them on my neon and I swear, that pos neon nothing could stop it in the snow.

Bring your all seasons to Ashtabula county, we'll pull you out of the ditch...

I had brand new all-seasons on my G35 ad within 2 weeks went out and bought Blizzaks cause that bitch would step the back end out going down the highway with even trace amounts of snow. The Blizzaks did wonders

• Upvote 1

I just bought a Set of the Michelin Defenders for my wife's Elantra.  90k treadlife warranty, fairly priced (IMO) I have had no traction issues at all, handle very well all round and high reviews on tirerack.  Road noise is significantly reduced from the hankook's she had on them from the factory.  My stepdad bought them for my niece's car and they live in hocking hills, as a 17 yr old driver she made it through the winter down there with only one incident where she ran off the road, which I attribute to her lack of experience.

I am on my second set of the p4 great tire, I run them on my subby. They get great traction in the wet and snow(but I have awd so?) I got around 45k out of the first set I had, and have 25k on the one I am running now with over half my tread left.  I am not very good at checking air pressure, but do get them rotated when I get my oil done. I would give them a try for winter use they are pretty good. 

Edited by speedytriple

I had brand new all-seasons on my G35 ad within 2 weeks went out and bought Blizzaks cause that bitch would step the back end out going down the highway with even trace amounts of snow. The Blizzaks did wonders

If you have a RWD car in NE ohio you pretty much need blizzaks. I used them when I would DD my GTO and they were awesome.

If you have a RWD car in NE ohio you pretty much need blizzaks. I used them when I would DD my GTO and they were awesome.

yup although my first RWD car I had all seasons and my truck are also all seasons so to me it depends on the vehicle as well

I have been considering snow tires, given my 37 mile commute directly through the snow-belt ...but I'm not really concerned about getting stuck or spinning out; just being late.  A few weeks of driving in the snow may change my mind, but I'm thinking everyone else is going to hold me up more than the weather.  That would only be exaggerated by snow tires :-/

I have been considering snow tires, given my 37 mile commute directly through the snow-belt ...but I'm not really concerned about getting stuck or spinning out; just being late.  A few weeks of driving in the snow may change my mind, but I'm thinking everyone else is going to hold me up more than the weather.  That would only be exaggerated by snow tires :-/

Well the upshot of snow tires is you can pass those slow pokes, even if the passing lane isn't plowed...

Dad was coming home from work last winter on a fresh set of blizzaks in his cobalt, came up on some slow moving traffic, signalled a pass, and around he went...

Turns out the vehicle he just passed was a police car. Flashed his red and blues for a second then turned them off (guess he realized he was nowhere near the speed limit...)

Edited by magley64