unOFFICIAL SPRING 2014 EPIC RIDE - May 18th

DerekClouser

It's nice to have smaller groups and in a perfect world that would b great if it works out that way but I have done a lot of group rides in the past w 20+ bikes at a time and never ran into any problems. The largest group I've been involved in was over 400 harleys at once. ...surprisingly it went smooth...U guys are doing a hell of a job planning this thing out and I totally appreciate the effort put forth...It will all come together the day of the event one way or another....we will all make it work some how :))

According to the weather channel it's suppose to be a high of 63 degrees...that may scare some but I think with under armour and leathers it will work out perfectly...only 15% chance of isolated showers....but this is ohio...which could mean a hight of 75 degrees or low of 50...lol...either way...it'll b a good time as long as it doesn't have torrential down pours :))

I'm definitely still in! Can't decide between the medium group or the medium fast though. I like a challenge and faster riders tend to inspire my best. I read the description of how fast to expect to go, but then again, I've never been to hocking and have only just last month started riding in Ohio at all. Not all the curves are well banked here, I've noticed.

I'm definitely still in! Can't decide between the medium group or the medium fast though. I like a challenge and faster riders tend to inspire my best. I read the description of how fast to expect to go, but then again, I've never been to hocking and have only just last month started riding in Ohio at all. Not all the curves are well banked here, I've noticed.

If you're not sure go medium for this ride.  There will be plenty of other rides to connect with smaller, faster groups. 

• Upvote 1

If you're not sure go medium for this ride. There will be plenty of other rides to connect with smaller, faster groups.

Sounds good to me. And actually I think I gave that same advice to someone else in this thread lol.

Edited by Calinazaret

I'm still in. Look for me on the yellow CBR though. I had a dickhead in an F150 run me into the mother of all chuckholes the other night, bending the front rim on the new Ninja. I won't have the wheel back from trueing/ refinish in time to ride it next weekend.

What!? :(

Sent from my iPhone.

Sounds good to me. And actually I think I gave that same advice to someone else in this thread lol.

Honestly you'll be fine in the med fast group. I'm leading it and am not overly familiar with the route so it won't be crazy paced. Plus the sweep whaler will not push anyone if for some reason you feel out paced.

Derek, do we have a contingency plan for the weather?  If too crappy, are we moving the ride to Sunday or another date all together?  The weather outlook is bouncing from rain to cloudy across most of the state for Sat.  Again, its Ohio and these things can change in a hurry.  Temps are showing a start temp first thing in the low 40's and topping out in the low to mid 60's.  I am not worried about riding in cooler weather.  Done it many times.  I believe last years Epic ride was on the cooler side as well.  Sunday weather looks much better, partly cloudy with a high closer to 70.  I am down for Sunday too if it needs to be moved due to weather.

Derek, do we have a contingency plan for the weather?  If too crappy, are we moving the ride to Sunday or another date all together?  The weather outlook is bouncing from rain to cloudy across most of the state for Sat.  Again, its Ohio and these things can change in a hurry.  Temps are showing a start temp first thing in the low 40's and topping out in the low to mid 60's.  I am not worried about riding in cooler weather.  Done it many times.  I believe last years Epic ride was on the cooler side as well.  Sunday weather looks much better, partly cloudy with a high closer to 70.  I am down for Sunday too if it needs to be moved due to weather.

Rain out date is Sunday. Temperature won't change the date... 60s will be fine 

Wife and I are in unless it is raining bad. We are driving the last half of the route on the way down...meeting you folks at the meetup place on time. Driving the first half of the route with you, then peeling off.

Snot and Hellmutt better find me and say hi. Rest of you goofs too that I have not met yet. I will be the old guy by the big white sofa.

• Upvote 1

We did it 2 yrs ago in the 50s.... I can live with 60s.

True :D Weather never helped us except last year, but its always a last min deal, as I always keep saying, just believe its gonna be sunny 70 that day and it will be :)

Wife and I are in unless it is raining bad. We are driving the last half of the route on the way down...meeting you folks at the meetup place on time. Driving the first half of the route with you, then peeling off.

Snot and Hellmutt better find me and say hi. Rest of you goofs too that I have not met yet. I will be the old guy by the big white sofa.

We'll look you up and I think I speak for all the other goofs when I say it'll be great to finally meet you

I'll be on this for sure. Most likely I'll be doing the group picture. After everyone gets into groups and is ready to go, you'll all get off of your bikes, line up in front of them, smile (or don't), and wait until I say 'done.' Apparently there was some confusion last year that led to a few groups leaving before I could gather them for a picture. Not this year. I'll be sure to mention it and spread the word while everyone's shooting shit before the ride. 

• Upvote 1

I guess we can wait till Thursday to be sure what we are gonna get that weekend for sure. Now that Tonik said it I am more hopeful. He never says random stuff :D

I am on this ride, virtual lock on perfect weather. I always get great weather except for that one tornado that missed me by about 30 minutes. But that was still a win.

Jerry will be glad to hear that, he really needs good luck on his side. Me and jerry must be the two man group ride to cover most storm drenched motorcycle miles :) Edited by NinjaDoc

Rode the route today. Got rained on twice while on 669.

Hopefully it doesn't rain much more. The river along 669 was up pretty Damn close to the rode in a couple of spots.

The roads are in ok condition.

93- the state was cleaning out the ditches today

56 - construction area around coonville 1 lane right on a corner. A lot of water runoff from the hills.

Whatever the next road was - state was paving right before the bridge to nelsonvile.

78 - has a lot of cracked pavement, potholes, and patched roads.

669 - high wateh along the river. As long as It doesn't come up another foot should be ok.

668 - nothing to report

93 - a little gravel.

All and all everything seemed ok. 78 is probably in the worst shape.

That being said, I've been having pretty severe back problems lately and thought I would test the waters with today's jaunt. Well that was a big mistake. Now I'm hobbling round the house like a cripple. Hopefully the 2 chiropractic appointments I have this week will straighten me back out so I can participate.

At this point I want to say yes, but my back has other plans. Will update and be sure by Thursday.

Rode the route today. Got rained on twice while on 669.

Hopefully it doesn't rain much more. The river along 669 was up pretty Damn close to the rode in a couple of spots.

The roads are in ok condition.

93- the state was cleaning out the ditches today

56 - construction area around coonville 1 lane right on a corner. A lot of water runoff from the hills.

Whatever the next road was - state was paving right before the bridge to nelsonvile.

78 - has a lot of cracked pavement, potholes, and patched roads.

669 - high wateh along the river. As long as It doesn't come up another foot should be ok.

668 - nothing to report

93 - a little gravel.

All and all everything seemed ok. 78 is probably in the worst shape.

That being said, I've been having pretty severe back problems lately and thought I would test the waters with today's jaunt. Well that was a big mistake. Now I'm hobbling round the house like a cripple. Hopefully the 2 chiropractic appointments I have this week will straighten me back out so I can participate.

At this point I want to say yes, but my back has other plans. Will update and be sure by Thursday.

Nice and concise report, Sorry to hear about your back, ur luck (worst rainy day of the week), and about 78. One of the best roads in this loop. Hope you recover fast and can make it for the ride.

any one else keeps checking 3 different weather website every 4 to 6 hrs  to see change in weather pattern? or is it just me :p

I am hopeful and may be biased, seems like the cold and warm  current  blowing here and there blah blah blah, but i strongly believe its going to get cleared by thursday, we might get a high 60 on saturday

Edited by NinjaDoc

any one else keeps checking 3 different weather website every 4 to 6 hrs  to see change in weather pattern? or is it just me :p

I am hopeful and may be biased, seems like the cold and warm  current  blowing here and there blah blah blah, but i strongly believe its going to get cleared by thursday, we might get a high 60 on saturday

Yes, and I can tell you that within hours of me posting my commitment last night most of the major weather sites backed off rain for that area and started upping the temps. They are all saying clear, except weather.com, but they will succumb to the power of Tonik's Hate. Everyone does sooner or later.