Smartphone Question - Experts?

JohnG

So my Droid Razr Max has pissed me off for the last time...  This is the second one and I'm pretty frustrated since I rely heavily on it for work and personal business.  Time is money and I don't have time to jack around with a device that works marginally, know what I mean?

I want to get a phone that has the best in reception, since I think that's my trouble here.  My Razr takes a crap if I leave the wireless turned on and leave the home network.  It just doesn't seem to want to switch to LTE on its own.  It'll lock up, freeze, do all kinds of weird sht.

What device do you like for the best in reception?  I'm on Verizon and I'm doing a compare on a new device between the Galaxy S4, Note and HTC One.  Not ruling out the iPhone...  yet.

I have alot of friends with the S3 S4. All good reviews. The note and HTC one are lots bigger depends what you want there. Ive had an IP4 for 2.5 years and its been trouble free. My dads Razr has crapped out on him twice and he still gives me crap about my IP4. Theres always a chance a phone will do something stupid. IPhones tend to break more often.

Galaxy S4, Note and HTC One.

Any of those are great phones. My wife has the 4, I have the Note and my kid has the One. Zero problems. Reception and wireless switching on the Sammy's is great. I bounce from home wireless to lte to work wireless all week long with no issues.

Moto just isn't what they used to be.

Moto just isn't what they used to be.

This appears to be the consensus...  The Razr was full of oo-look-shiny when it came out and everybody wanted one, but for a little over a year this ones been really frustrating.  I wasn't due for an upgrade till November and was dreading it and then I looked today and they've gifted me early.

I know how big the Note II is, didn't know the HTC One was big also.  Not sure I'm up for holding a mini tab up to my face for calls (and I really don't like bluetooth headsets).

Thanks for the info so far!

What happened to your first one?

Switched carriers -- technically I'm still using my first one, I'm in the switchover period now.

I actually did drop it once, but the glass cracked in such a way that the entire viewing area of the screen was unaffected.

Big, beefy, powerful phone, great memory/storage options, etc. Also, the charger is the single most powerful phone charger I've ever seen. Will top you off, 100% within 2-2.5 hours.

I have a ZeroLemon extended battery on mine from Amazon. cost me $30.00 but the phone will go 2+ days on a charge with moderate-heavy usage, assuming your cell signal is good.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Ryan.  I'm going thru more Galaxy reviews on line now.  Pretty much decided, its going to be between the S4 and the Note 2.  I must say, the big screen is nice but the S4 has a slightly better camera.  Hmm.  What to do...

I'm a big fan HTC's phones, my past 3 have all been HTC, but since getting the galaxy tab 3, I can see that Samsung has it going on! I'm on Sprint, and he EVO LTE has served me well for almost 2 years, no case or screen protector, and it's still in pretty good shap, other than some wear from being in and out of my pocket several times a day. I took over the kid's EVO LTE when he proved that he couldn't handle having a smartphone, which is only a few months old, so I'm good for a while. I'm also impressed that they are still updating the phone. No kit kat, but the latest ICS will do.

Basically what I'm saying is that all that you have listed should serve you well. Find which one you like best, and you'll be fine.

I am up at the end of the month and I am ready to get rid of my RAZR MAXX. I may be going with the HTC M8 (the new ONE) that is out at the end of the month. It will be that or the S5.

Never thought I could deal with Galaxy size.. Got used to it... May step up to Galaxy note 4 this fall and give it a try... Or wait for Galaxy 6...The galaxy 6 and note 4 are set to be levels beyond the current offerings... Gonna wait it out

My Galaxy s3 is the best phone I've ever had, and the only to never give me problems... It's turned me into a Samsung fanboy

Never thought I'd be an iPhone guy until some of the guys I fly with started getting them and I saw how well they worked. I resisted for a long time, finally broke down 1.5 years ago and got an iPhone 5. Wish I would have done it a long time ago.

• Upvote 1

I upgraded and got the Moto-X around the holidays when they had their price drop on the full retail version.  So far it's working a ton better than my old phone.  Now granted, that's not saying much as I upgraded from an HTC Thunderbolt.  The Tbolt was at daily restarts just to keep it running and anytime I traveled I would always have to do a full restart to get a signal at the new location.  The Moto-X I haven't restarted in about a month since it got it's last OTA update.  No issues at all with going between LTE and Wi-Fi.  It even manages to do the handoff from 4g-3g and back fairly well.  Battery life is good.  I can easily do a 12 hour shift without charging while doing normal web surfing and emails roughly once an hour.  It is a non-replaceable battery so there is no option for an upgrade and is a downfall if your a power user.

Well, I almost pulled the trigger on a Note 3 last night, but the pricing was back up around 3 hundo.  Not gonna do that.  The Note 2 offerings are all refurbs now and since the camera in the 3 was upgraded to be just as good as the S4, that pretty much rules out the Note 2.

I must admit, I'm iPhone curious.  I just can't bring myself to go there.  

Drawback to the Note 3 - If I put it in an otterbox, it makes the thing seem HUGE.  I like having my phone on my hip, I'm not a pocket carry guy, and the holster setup for the Note makes it feel like I'm wearing a tablet.

Undecided...

Just get the iphone, it just plain works. The only problem I get with mine and mine is 4 years old, is about once every 6-7 weeks I have to do a network reset because I can't connect to wifi, of course I still have unlimited data so I rarely wise wifi, but occasionally I do need it do download a big file.

Other than that I don't think I've ever actually had to turn to phone off or do a full reset.