Bike VS Horse

Sapphy

But she didn't.  The person in front of her did.

I think she did a great job of being aware and avoiding it. 

I didn't see any indication she slowed down when approaching the horse and buggy. Dumb ass refers to both of them and anyone that does that on a bike or in a car. That is how people and animals get killed.

• Upvote 3

I've never had a horse try to attack me as I passed. I shouldn't have to slow down to buggy speed just to make a pass either. If the horse can't be controlled, it needs a bullet in the head

The horse wasn't attacking it was in flight mode after being scared by the first passing bike. I have been raising horses for the past 15 years and my wife has been around horses for over 40. The first lesson you learn is you can never fully trust a horse.A bag blowing across a paddock or pasture can set them off. Horse have a huge flight instinct and will run if spooked. I has to do about common sense.

• Upvote 1

I can't tell from the video if she is obeying the speed limit or not, and I assume that having horse-drawn carriages on paved roads is legal, but given the disproportional use of paved roads by cars versus buggies, I question "who is the dumbass?"  The motorcyclist, operating the vehicle in what appears to be a legal manner, or the person who cannot control the animal he's relying upon for transportation?

The horse jumped into HER lane, not the other way around. 

Now if the motorcyclists were exceeding the speed limit, or they have exhaust systems that are louder than the law allows, those are certainly factors that could have contributed to the horse's reaction - but the burden is on that "vehicle" to stay in its lane.

If I am on a bike with a loud pipe I normally pull the clutch in and coast past any horse I see, just for this reason never actually seen that happen before but always assume that it could.

The horse wasn't attacking it was in flight mode after being scared by the first passing bike. I have been raising horses for the past 15 years and my wife has been around horses for over 40. The first lesson you learn is you can never fully trust a horse.A bag blowing across a paddock or pasture can set them off. Horse have a huge flight instinct and will run if spooked. I has to do about common sense.

This.. I've grown up with horses and even the best trained horses get skittish at times.. I've seen them stand next to a snake and stomp on it.. then another freaked out by a blowing hay bale cord..

They are only as good as what they are used too.. and even then.. no guarantees

I pass horses in Amish Country all the time.  Never seen one do that.

If I come up behind a horse/buggy I slow down to pass and coast by.  However, I just continue about my business when it's in the other lane...just like any other traffic.

Edited by Tpoppa
  • Upvote 2

In Ohio, A horse drawn buggy is considered a slow moving vehicle, and therefore, must follow the slow moving vehicle laws.

Yes, I slow and coast (typically clutch pulled) when approaching and passing horses, but this video shows an ONCOMING horse drawn buggy that crosses into the approaching traffic lane, thus a violation of law...

I didn't see any indication she slowed down when approaching the horse and buggy. Dumb ass refers to both of them and anyone that does that on a bike or in a car. That is how people and animals get killed.

Would you say the same thing if the motorcycle happened to be a car instead? If I am driving in the cage through Ohio Amish country, obeying all traffic laws (Read: Speed Limit)... should I expect to have to slow down with every ONCOMING horse and buggy that I encounter? 

I saw a dog playing in a yard on my commute home last night, am I an dumb ass for not slowing down to a crawl (on an interstate) expecting that my motorcycle might cause that dog to spook and run out in front of me? How about the Horse pasture I pass every day that I commute, after all, those horses could spook and jump a fence...

I am sorry if this comes across strong, but dumb ass might just be a hasty judgement... after all, look at the outcome.. the cyclist was obviously alert enough to maintain a level of control in this situation that allowed all persons involved to walk away unharmed... (minus the dirty pants)

I completely understand the safety tips for navigating around horses on roadways, and I agree that those are fine ideas to implement in everyone's riding, but I also think that the person with the horse is obligated to maintain control of his animal and the attached vehicle.

The fact that horses are unpredictable and can be spooked easily is the horse owner's problem, not the public's issue to be aware of and deal with.

Dump trucks aren't even safe.

http://m.whio.com/news/news/local/truck-hits-horse-drawn-buggy-miami-county/nfwpg/

This happend today close to home. And don't quite understand why dump truck driver was cited 721 doesn't have a stop at 718. Or anywhere near 718 for that matter. Townies are saying horse spooked as driver passed.

I always proceed cautiously around the Amish buggies. However when we came across a bear in the NC mountains, it was a different story. Proceeded cautiously up to near the bear (about 10' from the edge of the road), then rolled on the throttle when we knew we could get past it.

Yes, the operator of the horse drawn buggy should have control over his "vehicle". He would be liable should something had gone worse than it did. 

Just like in a vehicle. a tire could go flat, engine breaks down, radiator blows causing a potential hazardous situation. These instances can be minimized with routine maintenance and inspections, just as horse drawn buggy incidents be reduced with increased training. But sometimes, shit just happens. 

Kudos to the rider for maintaining control. 

In Ohio, A horse drawn buggy is considered a slow moving vehicle, and therefore, must follow the slow moving vehicle laws.

Yes, I slow and coast (typically clutch pulled) when approaching and passing horses, but this video shows an ONCOMING horse drawn buggy that crosses into the approaching traffic lane, thus a violation of law...

Would you say the same thing if the motorcycle happened to be a car instead? If I am driving in the cage through Ohio Amish country, obeying all traffic laws (Read: Speed Limit)... should I expect to have to slow down with every ONCOMING horse and buggy that I encounter? 

I saw a dog playing in a yard on my commute home last night, am I an dumb ass for not slowing down to a crawl (on an interstate) expecting that my motorcycle might cause that dog to spook and run out in front of me? How about the Horse pasture I pass every day that I commute, after all, those horses could spook and jump a fence...

I am sorry if this comes across strong, but dumb ass might just be a hasty judgement... after all, look at the outcome.. the cyclist was obviously alert enough to maintain a level of control in this situation that allowed all persons involved to walk away unharmed... (minus the dirty pants)

If you watch the video closely the horse veers as the first big is pretty much next to it. Yes, if I am on my bike I pull the clutch and lift off the gas if I am in a cage when passing an oncoming horse drawn carriage. I will also slow and not pass a carriage that is going in the same direction I am until I can pass safely in the oncoming lane. Dogs will run to a motorcycle, bicycle, scooter, car, etc., horses will not. I do not slow down when passing horses that are in pastures either as they are in an area they are used to and most likely accustomed to vehicles passing on the road. Looking at the video, it was late morning or early afternoon based on the shadows with the horse heading into the sun. Loud noise approaching at a rapid rate with possibly impaired vision will get a reaction from a horse. Hell I had my horse bust his paddock fence down last year because I went past him with the bucket up on my tractor. I had passed him a 100 times on my tractor before but not with the bucket elevated. He saw it as a threat and bolted. As stated earlier you can never fully trust a horse. It was a dumbass move.

I did all of that before I had horses. It boils down to common sense and having a modicum of respect/knowledge about the world outside of your personal bubble. Yes, the emotional side of my response is because I have horses and I would take horses over 99.99% percent of the people in this world. The factual side of my response is because I'm an old fuck that grew up in a different world. Differing opinions are what make this fucked up marble so interesting each day.

Buggy drivers fault but its common sense to not zoom loudly past horses as a precaution, kinda like you don't walk near a bunch of thugly looking dudes on the street, unless you want trouble.