Your First Bike

Disclaimer

Thirty years ago when I was a kid I learned to ride a motorcycle on a neighbor's CR80. My Mom still does not know how much I rode that bike.

Last year I bought an 82 750 Virago to learn to ride street which promply broke something in the engine and locked up on me about 2 weeks after my msf class. No harm, no foul for what I have in it and it did get me hooked on riding. I still intend to rebuild the motor. That prompted me to buy my 2008 Ninja 500 which has been ultra reliable and very easy to learn how to ride on.

I may already have chimed in on this thread, but I don't remember...

The bike that made me want a motorcycle was the first gen SV650n. I saw one parked on the street in San Fransisco, and started looking into bikes.

The first bike I ever got a ride on was a '70's Norton commando 750. The owner had promised that I could ride his old Hodaka 125, but it was broken.

I bought my 1997 EX500 having only been a passenger on a motorcycle. This was after 2 failed attempts to buy 650cc cruiser (maxims, i think). I didn't want a "crotch rocket." ha.

I had the owner ride the EX from his house to my uncle's house (roughly 10 blocks), and then my cousin rode the bike to my parents' house for me a couple days later.

I learned to ride in my parents' back yard (sans helmet. idiot.) without plates or insurance, and then rode to my friend's house the day I got both :D (I had a helmet by then).

that was May or June of 2005. I sold the EX this past march.

Bike #2 was a 1993 Honda CBR 600 F2, purchased in June(?) of 2008. I rode it for the first time at my 6th trackday. Owned it about a year, and sold it for a small profit.

Bike #3 is my current 2003 Honda CBR 600RR, which was purchased about a month after I sold the Honda, so July of 2009 or so.

Age 11, got started on a '77 XR75 and spent 3 years beatin' the brakes off of that poor little bike

Then an '87 CR125R and had a blast with it until it got totalled against the back of Dad's truck;)

My 1st street bike wasn't until I was 18, got an '82 KZ550LTD and fitted a Kerker 4-1, K&N kits, then geared it up a bunch - fun little bike and it would crush 600's & 750's ( the first few blocks :D ) but the poor thing was redlined at 105mph. Wrecked it, fixed it, sold it.

Had a bunch of dirtbikes after selling my 1st street bike - '84/'96 CR250's, '77 RM250, '81 IT465, '77 Trail 70.

Next was my pride and joy at the time, '97 YZF1000R - Yosh'd it up, polished the wheels and other tidbits, debadged it, nobody knew what it was......a timeless look for its age......really loved the way it did everything, it was bike of the year for a reason!

After selling the YZF, figured I'd look into C14's and FJR's......couldnt find any within financial grasp then happened across my ZX14......fell in love, been there since early '09

Edited by Hellmutt

• 7 months later...

My 1st bike was a 1972 Yamaha RD350 cafe racer. 2 stroker with oil injection. It would take a 500cc bike off the line. Handle great light and very nimble. I would love to get my hands on another one.

First bike was a 1975 Kawasaki G5 100cc on/off road that I trail road. I got it when I was 12 years old.

http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Kawasaki_G5

When I turned 16 I put turn signals on it and a mirror and then road it on the road for a number of years.

Then I took 23 years off from riding.

In 2008 I bought a 150cc scooter.

2009 Purchased a 09 Buell Blast

2010 Purchased a 09 Buell 1125CR

And a week ago I bought the 2012 Aprilia Tuono V4R.

First Ride was on a '79 HD Lowrider. Then I rode my fathers 2001 Speed Triple. and even did a couple track days on it then I bought my 04 Daytona that I obviously still have. and just aquired a 1996 Honda CR250R... Thanks Hellmut!!

First bike: 1967 Bridgestone 90

Next bikes: 1971 Yamaha 175 Enduro, 1976 Kawasaki KZ400, 1978 Yamaha XS750 Special, 1981 Suzuki TZ750T, 1986 BMW R100RT, 1978? BMW R100 /7 w/ sidecar, 1946 Indian Chief, 1971 Honda CB100, 1991 Honda ST1100

• 5 weeks later...
Holy Thread Revival Batman!!

First bike was in 81. A 75 Yamaha RD 250 two-stroke smoker.

It would go 118mph downhill with the wind behind it. You could lean it over in a turn till you dragged elbows and almost shoulders before it started to slide out on you. Put about about a hundred turn signals and 30,000 miles on it over two years riding in the snow and the rain while being a poor student without a car. Couldn't afford the insurance for a car but a bike was so much cheaper.

I had an RD 350 and loved it great handling nimble and at the take off would eat a 600cc bike.

The 350 had oil injection did the 250?