If you have kids or kids visit your home, please lock up your guns

Casper

Tragic and needless loss of life.  Indeed, don't be an anti-authority dickhead and put others at undue risk - secure your weapons before society and government takes those freedoms away altogether.

Education is the key, I have firearms hidden around my house that are loaded and ready for when stuff hits the fan. Although they are mostly out if reach, my children know where they are and are taught that they are off limits unless they ask and are supervised. And if curiosity ever gets to them they know all they have to do is ask to handle one or go shoot it and it's a done deal. I don't shelter my kids they know exactly what a firearm is capable of doing and the consequences. Now when their friends are over I do take extra precautions but honestly that's not that often.

So again I say Education, Education, Education is the key, and they are never too young.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 4

So my father was a LEO, he carried a 357mag.  It was generally within reach.  At about age 5 or 6 he took each of us out to teach us about guns.  Lesson 1, he put rounds into full water jugs so we could see what it would do.  Lesson 2, he would put the 357 in our hands and have us pull the trigger. After we pick our self up, he would say "Now you know what it can do, don't ever touch it again" and none of us did. 

Education works.

Yes, but only for your own children - you don't have the same level of influence over their friends, and believe me as a parent of a teen - you won't always know exactly when or who will be over.

I like thesmall, quick access, keypad safes.  Big safes are for storage. 

Ditto.  My daughter is trained and knows not just when to avoid them, but when to use one.  And they're secure from non-family use.

• Upvote 1

Yes, but only for your own children - you don't have the same level of influence over their friends, and believe me as a parent of a teen - you won't always know exactly when or who will be over.

Point, but also after that, if a gun came out in an improper way (without adults) I GTFO

again Education works.  Not talking about it and hiding them does not.

Edited by Sapphy

Education works great. My niece definitely understands what it is and why it is not to be touched or played with. My nephew isn't quite of age to truly understand but he gets what no no means and all that good stuff when you point at it.

Regardless, it always gets locked up when they over for double the piece of mind

Having guns unlocked and out of a safe when anyone is present is fuckig ignorant and irresponsible. If it isn't on your person, it should be locked away. There is no other fucking argument to be made.

This.  Mine stay locked up unless they're actively being carried or cleaned.

• Upvote 1

Having guns unlocked and out of a safe when anyone is present is fuckig ignorant and irresponsible. If it isn't on your person, it should be locked away. There is no other fucking argument to be made.

Tim, I would urge you to reconsider your home security situation. Kids are kids and they make dumb decisions.

Have never had an issue at my home, and not like my handguns are sitting on a coffee table.

Well, if you can live with that... that's your business. Accidents happen and kids do stupid shit. However, I doubt "never been an issue" will be much consolation if it ever does become an issue. You're more likely to have a negligent discharge in the home than you are to have an actual home intruder.

I trust Isaac as much as a well-behaved, intelligent and courteous teenager can be trusted. That said... He's a kid and he makes dumb decisions. If he was to be hurt, or god-forbid worse, because I was lax and complacent with my guns.... I can't even begin to comprehend that kind of complete devastation to my world. He's everything and the only reason I live. If he goes away, I have nothing.

I couldn't say it better.

• Upvote 1

Well, if you can live with that... that's your business. Accidents happen and kids do stupid shit. However, I doubt "never been an issue" will be much consolation if it ever does become an issue. You're more likely to have a negligent discharge in the home than you are to have an actual home intruder.

I trust Isaac as much as a well-behaved, intelligent and courteous teenager can be trusted. That said... He's a kid and he makes dumb decisions. If he was to be hurt, or god-forbid worse, because I was lax and complacent with my guns.... I can't even begin to comprehend that kind of complete devastation to my world. He's everything and the only reason I live. If he goes away, I have nothing.

I don't disagree with you in the least bit, I guess I have always had a very large trust and total confidence in my Son when it came to that. Hell he has kept his loaded Glock on his bed side table for a few years now. Not many of his friends ever came over here much anyways, and if he knew they were coming, any firearms would have been hard to be found without really looking. Never been too many instances of unsupervised kids or teens in my house, and I was always very responsible when it came to anything firearms related. As of Tuesday, my Son is now living at Ft Benning.....soon to be a full blown infantryman. ;) 

Absolutely! My kids are comfortable around guns. They don't even glance at them anymore. They've shot them, handled them, field stripped some, and I believe they would not mess with one found unattended. But, I'm not going to test that theory. I used to be a kid and I always knew where my dad's secret stashes were. And I did screw with his guns.

You're more likely to have a negligent discharge in the home than you are to have an actual home intruder.

This has been my point the whole time. Good on you pauly for responsible ownership, as well as Ben and others.

• Upvote 2

Heck, kids only 10 months old but the firearms are always locked up.  Regardless if it's a fingertip key code safe stashed somewhere or our main safes, always are, unless on the person.  I do need to invest in several more safes and stash them in more rooms, but so far I like the placement and feel they give us a good advantage if need be.  Actually need to invest in another main safe for the basement too, fire proof style and big/heavy.  Keep some other "stuff" in there that we don't want knowledge of. 

I know my wife and I will be teaching him very early about them, but I will not know about his friends, or their families, and don't plan to chance something like that. 

I'm the same way. To each his own, but I'd rather take an extra few seconds to wake up and be really sure that noise is an intruder than to shoot the wrong person, even if that makes me a little more vulnerable to an out-of-the-blue threat. I guess that might make me "sheeple" to the hard-core, but that's my ethical dial to turn, not theirs.

• Upvote 3

That last sentence. That's what I'm talking about. Good kids do dumb things, because their experience level and inability to apply logic in an appropriate manner can trump any good parenting set in place. Good kids die every day from terrible gun storage habits.

Adults many times cannot apply logic in an appropriate manner either, and many cases out there of kids being more responsible than their parents. We each need to do whatever seems appropriate and makes the most sense in our households, and firearms in my household has always been a given and a normality. Mine are just a bit more accessible is all, but I do take certain precautions depending on the situation. They are easily accessible and within close proximity depending on the room, doubt it would be obvious if you ever stopped by. ;)