If you had $15k and needed a newer vehicle...

max power

Wife needs a new truck. Should have about $15k cash after selling a couple vehicles and scraping together some spare cash.

Necessities: must be 4wd. Must get 20+ mpg.

Preferences: truck or suv, but she is warming up to the idea of all wheel drive cars, like the subarus and Mazdas.

Also, buy something for $15k or less cash, or plop it down on a new tacoma 4x4 4 dr 6 sp long bed?

Edited by max power

Six speed tacoma 4 door 4x4=$40,000+ i couldnt do it. You could get a full size ford four door 4x4 for less money. And the new one gets 20mpg. Toyota has got the market almost to themselves in the mid sized truck market now. They can price their trucks at full size prices and you have no other choice beside nissan if you want mid sized.

At first, it had to be an actual truck, but she has soft and her stance on that issue.

Has to be four-wheel-drive though.

And has to get over 20 miles per gallon, which is why full-size trucks are out.

You can preach to me all day about full-size trucks getting more than 20 miles per gallon and I don't care. It's a lie.

Besides, she's been driving the suburban for the last two weeks and has decided she does not want a full-size truck.

I prefer it to be a manual as I have a tendency to keep my vehicles for a very long time and I'm not interested in replacing a $2500 transmission. If you know how to drive a manual, you know that four-wheel-drive is much easier to control with a manual transmission.

Edited by max power

At first, it had to be an actual truck, but she has soft and her stance on that issue.

Has to be four-wheel-drive though.

And has to get over 20 miles per gallon, which is why full-size trucks are out.

You can preach to me all day about full-size trucks getting more than 20 miles per gallon and I don't care. It's a lie.

Besides, she's been driving the suburban for the last two weeks and has decided she does not want a full-size truck.

I prefer it to be a manual as I have a tendency to keep my vehicles for a very long time and I'm not interested in replacing a $2500 transmission. If you know how to drive a manual, you know that four-wheel-drive is much easier to control with a manual transmission.

I made one clutch last 130k then sold and was still holding strong(factory ford focus)

I made another clutch last 180k then sold and was still holding strong (factory dodge neon)

Am I doing it right?

• Upvote 1

agreed.  JB's truck will indicate 18+ on the trip computer, but I think that's optimistic.  I have never seen it surpass 20 mpg.

if you're open to smaller SUV's with AWD, the 2012 Ford Escape with the 4 cylinder will get well over 20mpg.  The I-4 revs more than I was used to from an SUV, but it wasn't noisy or anemic feeling.   I suggest the 2012 because I believe that was the last year for that body style.  The kinks were worked out with that design, and the prices should be lower now that the newer (Hyundai Tucson copy) body style is out, and available used.

• Upvote 1

the Baja is a hideous vehicle.  But I would buy one as a fuel efficient way to transport a small bike.  if 2 XR's can fit in the 'bed,' that would be a pretty killer little utility vehicle.

I'm not sure one XR would fit in the bed of that thing. It's basically an open compact car trunk. I'd love to get my hands on an original Brat in good condition. Those were cool.

Wasnt the Frontier listed as one of the either deadliest or most dangerous vehicles on the road? I'll have to find that article I read.

Only when Pauly's driving it...  Not because he's a bad driver, but because he doesn't care about the idiots that get in his way.

• Upvote 2