6.0 power stroke owners - got questions.

baptizo

Carwhore is out on the lake this weekend. He can fill your needs when he gets back

Thanks, Todd.  I sent him a PM but it is a holiday weekend so I wasn't expecting a response right away.  

I'm also trying to be patient and not jump on something right away while looking at other trucks and cars/SUV's.  A lot of vehicles I've wanted are well within my cash budget along with some RV's.    

I've found a clean '99 7.3 XLT 4x4 with a manual transfer case on E-Bay but it's down in Arkansas.  Any suggestions on how to get it back to Ohio without having it shipped?  

Most people probably don't want a vehicle driven long distance with their tags and on their insurance - I know I wouldn't.  

You can use your plate as a 30 day tag. Just carry the title and bill of sale with you as proof of recent purchase.

I'd consider selling my uber clean 04 duramax w/ 5speed Allison, 2wd ext cab 8ft box. 193k'ish miles. EFI live, turbo back exhaust, turbo horn, intake. Touch screen radio w/reverse camera. A slew of recievers, sway control, weight distribution. Also have a 2005 24ft enclosed that could go with. I'd do $20,000 for all of it.

It does 19mpg in the summer, and just did 12mpg towing about 10k lbs through the mountains this weekend.

I think I can use the tags off of my Ram which was sold two weeks ago according to the BMV site.

"When a new car is purchased, is it permissible to put the old car tags on before the transfer of title is made?
Yes, however, the new title must be presented to the deputy registrar within thirty days to complete the transfer of registration. [O.R.C. 4503.12 A (4)]."

Am I interpreting this correctly?

--------------------------------------------

As for the Duramax, my budget is limited at $10k for the moment so your rig is way outside of my budget. 

Edited by baptizo

That would be any current tag on a Ohio registered vehicle that I presently own, correct? So, I could take the tags off of my Porsche and use them to get it home?

As for the Duramax, my budget is limited at $10k for the moment so your rig is way outside of my budget.

As long as the plate is in your name and you have title/BOS (and insurance card), you're cool. Call the BMV to confirm, but this is what the BMV told me one time I dealt with a similar situation.

As long as the plate is in your name and you have title/BOS (and insurance card), you're cool. Call the BMV to confirm, but this is what the BMV told me one time I dealt with a similar situation.

I'll give the girls down at the Ellet BMV a call to confirm, they've always been very helpful.   Thanks for the tip, too, much appreciated.  

The Ohio BMV said you cannot drive a vehicle purchased out-of-state with tags from another vehicle registered here in Ohio (perhaps it is only for in-state purchase, dunno, didn't ask).  

The Arkansas DMV, however, in my case will issue a "drive-out tag" which is good for 14 days and I only need to provide the address for my final destination.  

YMMV

Just my luck, it turns out this one is an early 99 version (7/98 build date) and not very desirable due to the changes Ford made to them after 12/7/98.  Anything with a build date after 3/99 is desirable according to every powerstroke website I've visited since commencing the deal.  

However, if I can get 100k+ miles out of it then it'll be a good investment and I'm not one to back out of a deal.  About all I'll do is throw on a 4" exhaust and get a tuned PCM.    

Looks like a steal bro... great looking for a 99..

I'm hoping it was a steal and runs as good as it looks.  I guess I'll find out soon enough after driving nearly 14 hours to get here.  If it isn't, I'll just turn around and head home.  

Well, I got it home safely and without any trouble.  This is a very different truck from anything I've ever owned or driven so the 7.3 took some getting used too with the powerband but it does ride a lot smoother than my '09 Ram 2500 4x4.  

The truck has a few minor issues which will need to be dealt with - ignition lock won't freely release when the key is turned, the headlights are way out of alignment making night driving a challenge (heck, no one flashes me with the hi-beams on), the power door locks don't work, and the tailgate is finicky to get open.  It also garners a lot of attention....not sure why.....

Thanks for all of the advise, pro and con, about these trucks.  

Edited by baptizo

good looking truck sorry i wasnt available to answer/help you. I was out of town.

injectors are different in the early 99's as well.

Make sure the oil pan isnt rusted out, costs 1k to repari.

No worries, I wasn't as patient as I probably should have been but when I found what I thought was a worthy candidate, I jumped on it.  At least it didn't leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere during the drive home.  And the oil pan is solid albeit coated from an old oil leak.   

Edited by baptizo