Check your bank account.

claine650

Fucking bastards. Only got me for around $150, but still annoyed as hell gotta wait for a new card an hope I get it before I'm leave for Denver. Wish I could repay said person with a swift and strong kick to the testicles....or face...

• Upvote 1

Using your debit card? Don't do that, they often have far less protection than a real credit card...even if you use them as credit.  Debit for bank transactions only, credit card for the rest. Let me tell you about the MAJOR grocery chain in Ohio that was transmitting debit cards and pins in plain text (ie not encrypted) via WIRELESS.  Someone I know sat in their parking lot and pulled down boatloads of numbers and pins.

And don't tie your debit card to your savings, and don't tie your savings to your checking for overdraft. Compartmentalize your money.

Very sorry for your loss.

Edited by Tonik

Yeah, debit card to checking only. That's why they only got the $150 I had left in that account. Had 4 different charges between $75 and $80 all at Walmarts around the tri-state. I only go to one walmart, it's across the street from me in west chester.

the ones on my account were cincinnati, Florence kentucky, hamilton, milford. No way I've been to any of those places in the past few days. This thief really likes walmart, guess that's the place to go with stolen card info.

Congrats Chad, you knew the deal and saved your own butt. That is rare these days. You might be able to dispute the charges through the regular means....the stores did not follow procedure, if they did they would not have taken the card. I have beaten the 'first 50' deal that way.

My debit card does too.

Been scammed twice now, last time was a week before Christmas for $800 by some criminal in Geneva, Illinois. Money back in my account in a couple days.

Still kind of a PIA... paperwork, calling the cops, more paperwork... I hate thieves

Hopefully you get your cash back...

Using your debit card? Don't do that, they often have far less protection than a real credit card...even if you use them as credit.  Debit for bank transactions only, credit card for the rest. Let me tell you about the MAJOR grocery chain in Ohio that was transmitting debit cards and pins in plain text (ie not encrypted) via WIRELESS.  Someone I know sat in their parking lot and pulled down boatloads of numbers and pins.

And don't tie your debit card to your savings, and don't tie your savings to your checking for overdraft. Compartmentalize your money.

Very sorry for your loss.

Just so you know I'm not talking out my ass:

https://www.chase.com/checking/debit-cards

Never for a second thought you were man. Many cards off full protection, some don't. Peeps just need to be aware, that was my only goal. Because of what I do I have become very paranoid about this shit. I know how bad these computer systems are run.

After talking to my bank earlier today, they did say I'll get a "preliminary refund" basically meaning I get my money back as long as I'm not lying about the fraud I guess.

It was actually $300 they got me for, more than i thought, didn't really add them all up till a bit ago. Definitely gonna need that moolah. Glad fifth third took care of it so quick and easy though. Definitely helps to check your account regularly, I check mine like everyday almost, and should've saw a couple of the charges a few days ago, but just didn't pay much attention. I'll be auditing my shit real good from now on.

Edited by claine650

Possibly naive question: what is the value proposition of using a debit card? I can see a small benefit in not having to bother paying a CC bill every month, but do any offer competitive rewards programs? I've always stayed away due to being sketched out by the stuff Tonic mentions, right or wrong.

If debit card offers same protection, which many do but be careful about things like only protected while signing not entering pin (credit vs debit transactions), then using just keeps you from spending money you don't have. There are some debit card reward programs.

Personally I use a CC and pay off weekly.

To hell with debit cards, use mine "only" to take out cash. I know they can be protected, but I will gladly continue to use my Chase cards for all of my purchases. Credit cards for me are same as cash, but I am not actually using my cash if I get hacked. ;)

Plus the regular use of a credit card builds one's credit rating and they can be used for emergency funds when you need to cover an urgent doc office visit, meds, when you forget to have cash, etc. while traveling and such. I've done the same thing as Pokey and turnone for 30 years and am getting my HS graduate daughter to do the same so she builds discipline with credit. Ultimately that's what a credit rating is - a graduated beaker telling lenders how likely they'll get their lent money back. A higher rating can make the difference between getting a loan and not, or paying a couple percent lower than average. Over time, that can save a fortune. You just need to be absolutely disciplined about paying that statement and avoiding every bank fee out there - they will eat a person alive.

Funny that you link Chase when my experience with them has been utter shit. My girlfriend opened an account with them last year. She is already closing it and moving to PNC. She has had her card number stolen and used twice, a card that she doesn't use. It's the emergency card and somehow people kept getting the number and using it. 

I don't believe in credit or credit cards.  Haven't had one in 15 years.

I did have my debit card number stolen once.  They charged about $1,200 on it.  My bank called me before I even noticed.  The money was back in my account in 48 hours.

Funny that you link Chase when my experience with them has been utter shit. My girlfriend opened an account with them last year. She is already closing it and moving to PNC. She has had her card number stolen and used twice, a card that she doesn't use. It's the emergency card and somehow people kept getting the number and using it. 

Have news for ya, it happens with them ALL. And as for Chase they have been nothing less than fantastic in stopping the suspicious threats and taking care of it when it happened, and hackers find ways to do what they do and are very resourceful.

Might not be your card itself. Bank websites (and other websites) have been the subject of a web inject attack this last week or two. If logging in on a compromised bank website, the username and password could be taken, and\or any passcodes used etc. Kinda hard to say, just another way to lose info to a scammer.

edit: and yes, all charges on my cards are emailed to me quick enough to stop it. If it isn't refused on it's own by the credit union. Can't use one of the cards in Georgia at all. Guess there's a problem there along the freeways...

Edited by ReconRat