Deals Gap 10-10 to 10-14

2talltim

I reserved myself a room at the Microtel as a precaution. Just incase i would need to give up my cabin spot for someone else wanting to go. I can always cancel it up to 5pm on the 9th if i dont need it. 

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like it if those that are there in October join me in a little ceremony commemorating Mark and the placement of the new plaque.

he was my best friend and I really still miss him badly. A lot of who i am on my bike is because of all the years I spent following that damn ZZR1200 around the country.

I'd be happy to join you, i remember you telling me that following my C14 on our est coast trip last year reminded you of following him around all those years.

Andy (bluebeetle) has stayed at Vera's.

Andy...what did you think?

Pretty sweet place. It's no 5 star, or whatever they rate hotels. But for a cheap place in the heart of motorcycle heaven it's awesome. And I hear Dan gives motorcycle sermons in the chapel out front.

Girlfriend has to work until 3 on Friday, so we're slabbing down there and will get there late Friday night. Ride all day Saturday, wander home Sunday.

Could possibly bring an air mattress and stay at the cabin with you guys? I'll have to think about it.

Hey Dan, remember that Winding Stairs Road I told you about. It was closed, and I went around the gate and road it anyway, it was overgrown but passable on a bike.

I found out it's re-opened now. One road north of Wayah road, at 74. Will have to give it a ride when we get down there.

Edited by blue72beetle

You adventure types might want to look at Parson's Branch Road.  One way from Cades Cove over the mountain and drops you right on the Dragon.  You pick it up about half way through Cades Cove, just go down the dirt road past the big center in the back end a mile or so it is on the right.    You might have seen where it drops into the Dragon....about a third of the way in from the Overlook on the left there is a 'Do not enter' sign...as it is one way.  I accidentally did it on a 750 Honda Shadow and after cleaning out my pants it was pretty fun. Starts out packed gravel long enough to suck you in then muddy ruts straight up the side of the mountain....then straight down the other side.  I had to put my feet down on the ground crossing the rivers on the downside.  They cemented the riverbed so they were covered with slime, only way I could keep the bike up.

To be clear, this is pretty much an off road adventure. It's not really a road but more of a big path.

https://www.smokiesadventure.com/smokymountains/explorations/parsons_branch_road.htm

Edited by Tonik

Parsons branch greatly depends on the weather. Ive been on it several times. First time in a chevy HHR it was soupy and almost spun out a couple times. Second time was in a 4x4 for explorer it was wet as fuck and lots of big ruts from recent rains, if i didnt have the 4 wheel drive i would not have made it. The last time was on the vstrom it was dry dusty and easy going. 

Edited by 2talltim

Updated the first post again. We now have 2 cabin rooms and everyone that's already going now has a bed. There is a couch still open and floor space for air beds.

This trip is still on the cheap folks we are around $100ish a night total for both cabins divided by how ever many there ends up being, right now it's 5, with a couple maybe one nighters.

Edited by 2talltim