Yamaha is the best!

ScubaCinci

Anyone have a clue how many miles a made-in-Japan in line 4 should be expected to last adhering to maintenance?

My 05 RR has been flawless. But it's kind of amazing to me these little high revving engines are so reliable.

It would depend heavily on how it was treated. Infrequent oil/filter changes, frequent bounces off redline, extended wheelies (starves top-end), all add up to trouble down the road. As IP says, treated right, they can go a long time - check out the mileage on some FJR's. Most bikes get wrecked by the time they get to a point where there's engine troubles :lol:

Have been surprised by reportedly poor BMW quality in recent years. But the list looks about right. Nobody's perfect. Best is to:

1. Avoid the first model year of anything, and;

2. Check out model specific forums so you know the issues, then;

3. Buy what your heart desires - life is too short - just be aware.

BMW reliability has scared me aware from several bikes that I wanted to buy.  The major components seem to last (mostly), but there are plenty of stories about expensive repairs on BMW forums.

I really like dynamic suspension on some of the new ones.  I just don't trust it enough to last.

1. Avoid the first model year of anything, and; I have two bikes that are the first year of new models and one that's the second year, with no changes from the first year 

2. Check out model specific forums so you know the issues, then; OK, I got that covered

3. Buy what your heart desires - life is too short - just be aware. Always, as much as my cheap, practical streak allows

Two out of three! Who says I can't take good advice?