Your criticism please

JackImpact

1 minute ago, JackImpact said:

I swapped to Allstate. Saved a bit. Pelkin wont take me because of that "At fault" accident. Once its amended I am going to switch to pekin. All state was the lowest at like 1100 a year, Pekin quoted me like 450. 

Wow, that's pretty high. Checking out Pekin. First time hearing of the company.

2 minutes ago, JackImpact said:

Cool. I am off Monday/Tuesday/Saturday so if you ever wanna come over and ride on some more country roads with me I am free. 

Tuesday is a possibility. This Tuesday is supposed to be clean and "warm." Just getting to Springfield would be my longest trip so far! Other than getting lost. (No GPS or map. heh)

26 minutes ago, hiro said:

Tuesday is a possibility. This Tuesday is supposed to be clean and "warm." Just getting to Springfield would be my longest trip so far! Other than getting lost. (No GPS or map. heh)

Thats how I feel about most trips I take out anywhere. This is the longest, this is the longest, now this is my longest. 

If you get on 70 west, take it till you reach 68, then take 68 north to 334. Get off at River road (right when it forks). Take a right at the next light, you will come to a Speedway. Call me and I am down the road! 

On 3/14/2016 at 8:41 PM, JackImpact said:

Thats how I feel about most trips I take out anywhere. This is the longest, this is the longest, now this is my longest. 

If you get on 70 west, take it till you reach 68, then take 68 north to 334. Get off at River road (right when it forks). Take a right at the next light, you will come to a Speedway. Call me and I am down the road! 

Consider that the furthest I've been from Hilliard is like Hocking Hills, Chillicothe, and Dayton. In a car. Other than driving east to go to NJ. Not native to Ohio.

I might stick closer to home today. Kid is off school. Might have him shoot some video of me going in circles. haha

I swapped to Allstate. Saved a bit. Pelkin wont take me because of that "At fault" accident. Once its amended I am going to switch to pekin. All state was the lowest at like 1100 a year, Pekin quoted me like 450. 

Have you spoken at all with state farm? They seem Moto friendly. I'm paying approx $330 a year with them

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

On 3/6/2016 at 7:19 PM, hiro said:

Note: I'm a first-year rider talking to another noob, so if I'm wrong, let me know!

The MSF class is pretty good. I took it in May. One downside is that it's hard to get a feel for counter-steering at the lower speeds that they drill at. Just have to get out on the road and zig-zag around.

Counter-steering is weird. It mainly controls the amount of lean. It's possible to lean and not turn. The lean angle mainly keeps the bike from flopping to the outside of the turn. After you counter-steer and /relax/ on the bars, the bike "drops" into the turn and it will just keep moving in an arc.

To turn right, first the front wheel turns left. That causes the bike to lean right. As you /relax/ on the bars, the front wheel will automatically turn itself to the right. If nothing interrupts it, the bike should now keep turning to the right pretty much on its own. (Unless it slows down too much. Then it'll just fall over. heh Give it a little gas.)

You should read Twist of the Wrist II by Keith Code, or you can watch a video rendition of the book on Youtube.  It's almost near impossible to turn a bike just by leaning.  You must counter-steer to turn the bike. 

When I watched the video as he was making corners he was doing what you'd expect from a beginner. He's turning the handlebars in the direction of the corner and that's why he went wide several times.  Practice counter steering.  It's probably the single most important physical skill you'll have on a motorcycle.  Keep practicing! Nothing trumps experience on a motorcycle.  After enough practice, the basics will become muscle memory.  

On 3/12/2016 at 7:25 PM, JackImpact said:

Do not get me started on Geico. They filled a claim as an at fault accident and I had to burrow into their assholes like a damn Dugtrio and lay eggs to get them top change it. 

This honestly happened to be as well with Progressive.  I called one time to figure out why my rates were so high and they claimed I had an at-fault accident.  I was hit by a merging u-haul truck and did minor damage to my right side.  The other driver was sited at-fault.  When I did my research into disputing this with the insurance company, I found out they actually put both drivers at fault.  I think this is just a scam to get higher rates out of people.  The worst part it, progressive alleges that they use a 3rd party company to determine at fault drivers of accidents so I had to fight the 3rd party company before having to deal with Progressive. 

On 3/12/2016 at 7:27 PM, BadTrainDriver said:

Besides what's been already said, put the fucking phone away. Better yet, don't even bring it. All it's going to be is a distraction, and that's the last thing a new rider needs.

Edit: I see this has already been posted.

While I'll agree, you need to put the phone in your pocket, I disagree with not bringing it.  If something were to happen on the bike, you need to make sure you have access to getting help, especially being a novice rider.   

On 3/14/2016 at 8:02 PM, JackImpact said:

Cool. I am off Monday/Tuesday/Saturday so if you ever wanna come over and ride on some more country roads with me I am free. 

I'd strongly recommend avoiding riding with other riders until you've gotten yourself some seat time, especially another novice rider.  You are adding another variable that you'll need to focus on.  You need to minimize as many distractions as you can, so you can focus on learning the basics.  

Yes, the experience of riding a motorcycle with another rider is so much fun, but save it for a couple months until you're confident you can handle the basics.  

On 3/21/2016 at 10:27 PM, BiggAudi said:

Have you spoken at all with state farm? They seem Moto friendly. I'm paying approx $330 a year with them

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

State farm is great for sport bikes because they don't do insurance rates off of the bike, but rather the CCs.  So a ZX10r, R1, FZ1, Z1000, Ninja1k are all going to priced the same.  

Responding to the OP:

When I watched the video as he was making corners he was doing what you'd expect from a beginner. He's turning the handlebars in the direction of the corner and that's why he went wide several times.  Practice counter steering.  It's probably the single most important physical skill you'll have on a motorcycle.  Experience will give you the confidence and muscle memory will take over eventually.  

Secondly, when you are starting from a complete stop, slowly let out the clutch and apply a smooth gas.  If you fail to give it enough gas and the bike starts to sputter, your reaction should NOT be to pin the throttle as I saw a couple times in the video.  Just pull the clutch in a bit more.  You'll get the hang of it with some practice.  

My recommendation to getting the hang of starting from a complete stop is to get to a wide open parking lot.  Literally just sit there and practice starting and stopping.  Initially when starting, practice getting the bike moving without any gas.  You should be able to let out the clutch slow enough that the friction zone will begin to move the bike.  Just walk with it and continue to let out the clutch with no gas.  If you do it right, you should be able to let the clutch out fully without giving it any gas.  This is assuming the gas shutoff at idle on the FZ07 allows it to happen (I've never ridden one)

Edited by DerekClouser

55 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

This honestly happened to be as well with Progressive.  I called one time to figure out why my rates were so high and they claimed I had an at-fault accident.  I was hit by a merging u-haul truck and did minor damage to my right side.  The other driver was sited at-fault.  When I did my research into disputing this with the insurance company, I found out they actually put both drivers at fault.  I think this is just a scam to get higher rates out of people.  The worst part it, progressive alleges that they use a 3rd party company to determine at fault drivers of accidents so I had to fight the 3rd party company before having to deal with Progressive. 

And you expect any less from the industry that lobbied for a BAC legal limit that constitutes slightly buzzed for anyone that weighs more than 85 pounds, as well as charges for operating under influence as low as the breathalyzer can register?

Mostly what is stated already in this thread by others is important, but what helped me the most was seat time and many rides with an experienced rider who was willing to critique my riding style at every stop.  What I realized was by the end of the ride I found my corner entry and exits were much smoother and I felt more comfortable on my bike.  Remember, every bike rides differently, so you need to feel as comfortable with your bike and riding position as possible.  Don't ever push the envelope and always ride your own ride!

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys! Have since been on a few rides since then and have improved. I have noticed I lean harder left than right. I dont know if this is some subconscious issue with the throttle being on that side or what. 

11 hours ago, JackImpact said:

Thanks guys! Have since been on a few rides since then and have improved. I have noticed I lean harder left than right. I dont know if this is some subconscious issue with the throttle being on that side or what. 

When I first started riding my dad gave me the greatest piece of riding advice, "The moment you think you are in control of the bike is the moment the bike proves you wrong."    

Never get overconfident.  Always respect the bike and always keep your mind open to learning.  Guys on this site, some of which are incredibly fast, will tell you that they still learn new things every year and they are constantly trying to improve.  

Just take it slow, don't rush the process.  Ride within your current limits while gradually stepping outside to learn new things.  You are still in the learning of the basics.  You need to learn to walk before you can run, just always remember that.  

I have noticed I lean harder left than right. I dont know if this is some subconscious issue with the throttle being on that side or what. 

I'm the same way.  Can't tell you why either, assuming it's because I'm right handed

20 minutes ago, Hellmutt said:

I'm the same way.  Can't tell you why either, assuming it's because I'm right handed

Take a look at your body positioning.  Usually the direction you lean better, you have better body position.  Work on your body position the other direction and make sure you are looking all the way through the corner.  I used to be the same way til I worked getting into better positioning entering the corner.  

5 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

Take a look at your body positioning.  Usually the direction you lean better, you have better body position.  Work on your body position the other direction and make sure you are looking all the way through the corner.  I used to be the same way til I worked getting into better positioning entering the corner.  

I should've elaborated a bit more and explained I "feel more comfortable" cornering left vs right.  I'm much better now than I've ever been before thanks to some track time, but of course I'm still FAR from proper with body position in hard cornering.  

I think it has to do with which side the throttle is on. I've gotten better about it though. I use the "screwdriver" grip method when cornering and that without practice can be a little awkward when cornering right and having to modulate the throttle. 

+1 on just time on the bike. You should ask some of these guys when I first started riding with them. I rode my own ride but I wasn't "quick" at all. A few years later with lots more time on the bike and practicing cornering techniques I am not only faster than I was, I am safer while doing it. Also, keep in mind I had been riding almost 7 years and thought I knew what I was doing, then started riding with guys on here and was immediately humbled. I took it as an opportunity to learn. Cant thank these guys enough.

Edited by TimTheAzn
  • Upvote 1

I wish I had a camera because I'd probably get plenty of feedback!

Turning from a stop: While counter-steering and leaning your body into a turn is used above a certain speed, counter-leaning and direct steering is used when maker slow-speed and U-turns. That's when the bike leans, but the rider stays more upright. Or you could stay more inline with the bike.

(I guess I should take back what I said about a bike being able to lean without turning. If it leans, it turns. What I was getting at is, if you continue to counter-steer the lean angle will continue to increase to the point that the bike lays down! In that case it won't turn! haha Ideally, you'd set your lean angle one time and leave it there by relaxing the pressure on the bars.)

Maybe we should train like this? https://youtu.be/J99mT1GJYTw

• Upvote 1

On 3/14/2016 at 1:43 PM, JackImpact said:

How do you like your NC700? I almost got one. 

I liked it just fine for what it was... Great commuter, high build quality, reliable, worry-free.  I DIDN'T like the lack of style or the lack or "zip."  It forces you to ride boring.  But the storage was GREAT