A couple of questions about towing a trailer with your bike.

JackFlash

Suppose you want to tow a trailer behind your bike. 

Here's what I've read:

• The loaded trailer weight should not exceed half of the bike's engine size in cc's.
  • The loaded trailer weight should not exceed half of the bike's weight.
  • The tongue weight should be between 6 and 10% of the loaded trailer weight.

Do you have anything to offer to this?

2nd Question:

For a small bike which would only be able to tow a very light trailer, probably one that

is homemade, would a set of sturdy bicycle wheels be able to handle highway speeds

if used on such a trailer as long as the trailer's weight was kept within the above

guidlines?

Thanks for all input you care to give.

Don't do it. We came upon a traffic jam slabing back from the gap a few years ago. The cause of the jam was a jackknifed Harley with small trailer. The rider was pretty skinned up as he wasn't wearing gear. This was on the interstate highway for god sakes. If you feel that you have to take so much shit that a trailer is necessary, re-evaluate & take a car. Or better yet, pare it down a bit & take the bike, sans trailer.

The original thought was to mount a grill without legs, cooler, propane tank, and a box to hold utensils and needed cooking items, on a small lightweight trailer made simply for the purpose of going to small motorcycle gatherings and providing easily grilled foods.

My dad pulls a trailer with his harley on big trips (Week Long Trips to Myrtle Beach, when mom goes. No trailer needed without a woman). Literally everything but the kitchen sink lol. It's all about packing the trailer balanced. No weight in the trailer is actually dangerous because it bounces bad. His trailer uses a swivel hitch which helps the stability in corners. I've pulled it a few times, it's very stable. I'm not too sure about a homemade trailer, getting it to pull right might be a challenge if something isn't 100% square.

Safest bet for hauling a bunch of gear with a smaller bike would be a sidecar.  They're popular overseas with scooters and little bikes, but can be pricey unless you've got a GOOD fabricator connection.  Geometry needs to be on point or you'll constantly fight with it.  Basic framework with a motorcycle fender, a rear coilover shock, a trailer hub and wheel, and a truck toolbox mounted = storage galore.  If you hate the thought of riding rigidly upright, there are "leaners" too.  Of course, all sidecars limit your lane position freedom and you always need to be mindful of how much wider this would make the bike.  

Ultimately, if you plan to pack enough to be self sufficient for weeks at a time....get a Wing and a trailer

DSCN1926-e1414705986866.jpg

Leaner_Kalich5.jpg

I have seen some pretty badass homemade trailers, but to do it safely requires fabrication skills I lack.

Perhaps we're not envisioning the same type of setup, but I think your best option would be to get a full wheel, swing-arm, and shock from a dirt bike, then build your trailer frame where the motorcycle would have been, and secure the 'hitch' to your axle or swing-arm.  A single-wheel trailer means it will lean with the bike.  to stay legal, I think you're going to need trailer lights.

The reality is that for most events that aren't riding based, you get a % of people who show up in vehicles anyway.  Those are the people who should be bringing the grill, etc.  Don't take the enjoyment of riding out because you are too worried about your trailer.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, jschaf said:

Don't do it. We came upon a traffic jam slabing back from the gap a few years ago. The cause of the jam was a jackknifed Harley with small trailer. The rider was pretty skinned up as he wasn't wearing gear. This was on the interstate highway for god sakes. If you feel that you have to take so much shit that a trailer is necessary, re-evaluate & take a car. Or better yet, pare it down a bit & take the bike, sans trailer.

I remember that... Didn't see that he was hauling a trailer. 

We have Kenmore washer/dryer that came with the house in 2009. No idea how old they actually are but still working like champs. Only issue so far is the heat sensor going out in the dryer. Cheap fix. 

• 4 weeks later...