Do you leave or computer on 24/7? (Should I)?

Bam

Just bought a new desktop, and it rocks hard, but I'm not sure if I should leave it on 24/7, turn it off, turn it on standby, or what to really do to make it last. Or should I not even worry about it?

Also, any good anti-virus/whatever recommendations to protect me?

Thanks

I turn my laptop off when I'm not going to be using for a few hours. My roommate has a computer in his office that is hooked to the xbox for music and other things that hasn't been turned off in almost 2 years except for update reboots, it works fine.

Sweet, so you guys just get up and walk away? What about the screen, does it go black after awhile or anything?

Also, does anyone know if I can install itunes on this computer running vista? The website says windows 2000 or XP, doesn't mention Vista. If not, what music program/download program should I try?

I leave mine on. Electronics run consistently better when left on with the circuitry powered up than repeatedly switched on and off. Mine stays on 24/7 and always has (all of my PCs) unless a reboot is needed for like an update or something.

I leave mine on but turn off the flat pannel monitors so I don't kill the bulbs.

Sweet, so you guys just get up and walk away? What about the screen, does it go black after awhile or anything?

Also, does anyone know if I can install itunes on this computer running vista? The website says windows 2000 or XP, doesn't mention Vista. If not, what music program/download program should I try?

It says a new version will be out soon for vista within a couple of weeks, I am waiting until it comes out.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305042

I have a ton of AAC files so it sucks but I am not going to try to retrofit the old Itunes to cause problems. I do not want to format again and start over. I did that with XP when it first came out and learned my lesson, just wait untill something is written for it.

What pisses me off is logitech is saying they may not write a driver for my Quick Cam Orbit (web cam) that is only 1.5 years old, I have a support case with them and they may send me for free a new web cam, the new version called Quick Cam Orbit MP, the only difference is it is a 1.3MP cam. Fucking bullshit. I told them I am not buying another cam and have been forwarded through the company and am now to talking to MGMT. I told them I either want drivers or the new cam, I said I'll let them pick. We will see. Last I heard they are getting approval to ship me the new cam and I send them my old cam. I had to give my serial number and all that bullshit. I am glad I registered it with them because they can see when it was purchased and that I am not lieing.

Since I don't use my desktop very much any more, I normally shut it down. I use my laptop most of the time, so really don't see a need. I have a few networked drives on the desktop that I don't use that often, so I normally only boot it up when I need to.