• spring, when getting it ready for riding season
    • Only at set mileage, regardless of season
    • hookers (your welcome Fonzie/Sam)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my first service done on the gsxr about one month ago, b/c I knew I'd get some more ride time in prior to winterizing. The oil and filter were changed at that 600 mi. mark for the first service. I've put an additional 350 mi. on it before winterizing this weekend, but I will change the oil in the spring before riding. I've been told that the oil really should be changed to fresh coming out of storage, but it's whatever you want to do. I would rather give it the little extra maint than not....after all it's my baby.

While on the oil topic, what do you Suzuki owners like when it comes to oil? What brand? I may just stick w/ Suzuki oil, but I would like to know what others are good too.

i treat my bike like shit apparently I have changed my oil 4 times and I am at 17600, I would forget to check it in the spring because I generally become a even more so than normal alcoholic in the winter

I suppose I subscribe to the theory that oil doesn't go bad with age, it just gets dirty with use. I change mine in the fall for a couple reasons. 1) I don't want the dirt and gunk to have months to settle and compact in my engine. Have you ever dropped an oil pan from an engine where the oil sat in it for a long time? Nasty! ... and 2) because I don't have to mess with it on the 1st nice day of spring. Hop on & go!

Race track or track days - every other event. Oil is cheap.

Road riding, I tell everyone that I'd change the oil every 2-3K miles. Again, cheap insurance.

I also change the filter everytime I change oil.

When I store the bike for winter, I usually have oil that is failry clean and OK. In the spring, I drop the oil and filter as oil can become acidic in nature and is something I never test, but again, cheap enough to replace. That way, out of the box, it is fresh and ready to go.

While on the oil topic, what do you Suzuki owners like when it comes to oil? What brand? I may just stick w/ Suzuki oil, but I would like to know what others are good too.

It's mot a brand specific thing. However, asking what oil is best always nets results that when asking 10 people, you'll get 10 different answers.

I have used the following with GREAT results:

-Elf full synthetic. I don't believe it is around here in the States anymore.

-Maxima Ultra Synthetic. Maxima is some of the best oil we've ever used.

-Repsol 4T Synthetic (orange lettering). Repsol never does any ads for why their oil is good - they promote tee shirts and toys, I guess. But, we've pulled motors apart and the results are good. No issues. I wouldn't say they look better than the Maxima or Elf stuff we've used, but they haven't looked worse.

-I'm thinking about trying the Motul 300 race synthetic this year. I have heard good things and it isn't much more than the Repsol. Thing is, not a lot of shops carry it...

I change it every 3 on the dot with the filter, I use the synth- blend that has the suzuki name on it... and I get oem filters too... can't wait till I can afford a power commander type set up so I can switch to a k&n air filter....I also change the final drive lube every 6...... wanna keep my baby running for a long time... since I'm gonna end the year with 12 thousand on it I guess i just ride too darn much.....

I don't use OEM filters, I run a larger than stock Purolator. More filter area, same quality filter, whole lot cheaper.

I run Mobil 1 15w50 extended life.

OEM filters are designed and are engineered around that particular engine.

As for the K&N question, a lot of track day guys use them because of the safety wire end on them.

Here's a bit of food for thought. Race engines are well maintained and are built to be as much performance as possible within rules. They are actually not as abused as say a street bike is, but the idea is that they use the best they can for whatever the application. Race teams use OEM filters...

I run Mobil 1 15w50 extended life.

I hope you're using the motorcycle specific oil... Car oil isn't designed to be used in a transmission. Cars and trucks have seperate oils for each application. Car oils do not have the anti-foaming agenst found in motorcycle oils. Thus, it can be harmful to your motorcycle to use car oil. I know Mobil 1 makes a motorcycle oil, but please tell me you're not using car oil in your bike...