All you vette and LSX people

XChris1632X

So after about a year of tossing it up and thinking about it I have almost 100% decided to buy a vette. Sorry to all those who already drive them and have for a long time, I am definatly not just jumping on the bandwagon I am simply able to afford one now. I really have wanted a zo6 and the other day I thought I found the one. Long story short= after a couple minutes of me looking at it I realized it wasnt a zo6 but just a 02 c5 with the zo6 vents on the bottom of the rocker. It is a targa top c5 with 20k miles and full corsa exhaust that sounds amazing. It matches my Camaro with ext. and int. colors and I really liked it. They also have a black 04 zo6 with 50k miles on it and both are the same price. The 04 definatly has some old ass c5 rims on it because the previous owner kept the good rims. Basically I am in a toss up between cars and I cant help but think about getting a bad ass c-5 and always know my car is not a zo6 or buy the zo6 and not be able to enjoy the wind in my hair from the lack of targa top. Which would you buy and why?

It honestly depends with what you want to do with the car. If you just want something nice to cruise around in and have a little fun, get the C5. However, if you want to mod the car for a fast street car, get the Z. The Z has better everything. Better slave cylinder, clutch line, brakes, etc. Therefore, it would be cheaper in the long run.

Jackson

Get the C5, an 04 zo6 with 50k mean it was driven prolly daily. The 02 with only 20k was only driven on weekends or alot less then normal. Stock vs stock there really isnt to much difference, maybe 30-40rwhp, but do a few basic bolt on on the c5 and your hp level will match the zo6.

Get the C5, an 04 zo6 with 50k mean it was driven prolly daily. The 02 with only 20k was only driven on weekends or alot less then normal. Stock vs stock there really isnt to much difference, maybe 30-40rwhp, but do a few basic bolt on on the c5 and your hp level will match the zo6.

i agree

What about the different transmissions, different rear ends, thinner glass, different seats, wider wheels, titanium exhaust, etc... IMHO not even comparable.

Are you planning on modifying the car or do you just want to get in and drive it?

If you plan mods my opinion I would agree to get the base vette. the Z06 is a factory package that is engineered to haul ass in every direction and screwing with it will just hurt its value.

I am in the same ballpark as you between now and three years from now and I am 99% sure I am getting a z06. The only negative I have heard is the ride is a bit stiff???

Will they let you drive both? I contacted a local dealer about test driving a z06 and they never got back to me. I have never driven either but my sister had a '99 SS Camaro that I would guess is pretty close to a base vette.

What are they asking for the 02-04 Z06? I have seen them anywhere from high 20s to high 30s. And don't worry I won't buy the black one from under you- I want silver.

What about the different transmissions, different rear ends, thinner glass, different seats, wider wheels, titanium exhaust, etc... IMHO not even comparable.

Well if he is worried about weight then I guess the zo6 is better but all 6 speed c5 came with a 3.42 as did all zo6. If the c5 is an auto then it will either have the 3.15 or the 2.73. Seats and wheels I dont really think make the car that much more different. Owning both a c5 and a zo6 I didnt think there was much more difference in the two other then the small things. I would opt to get the one with less mileage but it is his decision..

The Z06 weights a lot less then a standard Vett. The Z06, while also only having 50 more HP is also much faster. I stock C5 with a automatic runs mid 13'. Stock C5 with a stick runs low 13's. Stock Z06 runs mid 12's.

Going with the Z06 gives you a much better starting point.

Another option may be to try and pick up a 05 C6 with some miles on it. Stock with the auto they run high 12's and mid 12's with a stick. 05 C6 stick vs. a C5 Z06 is close but the C5 Z06 wins by 2-4 tenths.

Jason

when you buy a 'performance' car, you should always assume the car has been ran hard. that being said, i'm agreeing with Sam, i'd take the one with less miles...30k less is an like an extra 1-2 years of longevity depending on how often you drive it.

Thanks for all of the replies. I really like the red one and the corsa exhaust sounds amazing. There is only a scuff on the back bumper and its really been taken care of. My only problem with it is at the end of the day it isnt a zo6. The z is black and really alot of what I wanted but the paint has some scratches and a bit of wear and the wheels were taken off and the owner put on the old ass steel c5 wheels on it, so it looks retarded. For now my plans for a vette would be a really nice cruiser for the summer that I can throw some bolt ons to it but not get crazy anytime soon and taking away from other projects. Mainly exhaust which the red one has, and a 100 shot. I still want the z because Im obviously buying a vette because when all is said and done I want it to perform. The paint is the biggest thing for me on the black one, I can paint but Im busy painting two other vehicles and I dont want to have to do it on a car a pay 30k for. Again I really like the red one but its not a Z, so im torn!

For those who said something about buying one of them, it would be a long drive from Ohio down to San Antonio to pick one up. Im temp stationed here until Oct so I wont be able to even bring it back to columbus until then.

A bolt on C5 will make around 350rwhp and a bolt on zo6 with make about 370rwhp. If you do a head and cam package both cars will make the same power. The zo6 is only about 200 pounds lighter or two tenths of a second.

My Z06 made 375rwhp with just the Corsa Ti catback, sans cats. I'd imagine with an intake it'd make a good bit more. This was on a stock tune as well. :D