For those of you who have had your house built

XChris1632X

I have been researching the processes and cost of what it would take to build my own house. Where I live property is a lot easier to find exactly what you want than property with a house on it already. I have had some hard times locating something that will fit my criteria. I have however found plenty of property that has.

Everywhere I look, it doesnt seem I can find much info on costs into building my own pad. I am trying to add up everything to see what I can afford and what I cant. I am looking for a cheaper base model house that I can customize as I go. I really like just a simple ranch cape cod style house and have been looking for something similiar from different builders in the area. I will prob be going in the direction of a modular build style house, do to the fact I am told that those are a bit cheaper. I am looking into what everyone thought is as of cost that I will have in this, from start to finish with only adding a basement. Not counting land, just a rough estimate on what I can expect. I have one figure and Idea from one builder but I need more to compare it to.

You need to provide some more info before anyone could give you a real estimate, such as:

Where?

Square footage?

Do you want an attached garage?

How far would the house be off the road (cutting a driveway and running utilities typically kill all cost advantage of flag lots)?

Are you going to use a General Contractor or are you going to hire and supervise the subs all on your own?

If you are going with a modular you can get a decent estimate from whomever you buy that from and for the basement your only big question is block or poured walls.

I'm not a big fan of modulars as they seem cheap and I believe they do not hold their value compared to a regular house. Also all the custom home builders I know are still very short on work and are much more willing to come down in prices compared to three-five years ago when I worked in residential construction.

Isnt average Square foot supposed to be ~114$ right now?

When we were researching building a house, that was the average about 3 years ago.. but things are different now.

My best suggestion is to talk to a few general contractors, and a few builders. They will have a good idea of average costs per sq ft.

It sounds like you should buy a house package from a lumber yard like 84 or carter. You get a base house package with almost everything needed to build. You can customize off of that. Just find yourself a builder or put it together or do it yourself. They have everything from really cheap whole house packages to really expensive ones. Probably check out their websites.

One problem you'll run into with modular and mobile is that a lot of locations in the area have restrictions against them. We ran into that 2 years ago when we were gonna get land and build. We ended up using Wayne homes because in the end they were cheaper than modular home builders were charging and no restrictions on a stick built home other than minimum size and roof pitch restrictions hehe. I'm up in Morrow County and I guess they don't want to add to the already high number of total shit hole houses up here.

You need to provide some more info before anyone could give you a real estimate, such as:

Where?

Square footage?

Do you want an attached garage?

How far would the house be off the road (cutting a driveway and running utilities typically kill all cost advantage of flag lots)?

Are you going to use a General Contractor or are you going to hire and supervise the subs all on your own?

If you are going with a modular you can get a decent estimate from whomever you buy that from and for the basement your only big question is block or poured walls.

I'm not a big fan of modulars as they seem cheap and I believe they do not hold their value compared to a regular house. Also all the custom home builders I know are still very short on work and are much more willing to come down in prices compared to three-five years ago when I worked in residential construction.

I am looking to build towards Marysville area but I am keeping cost of land and utilities seperate. Two car garage is a must and I am looking for something right around 1500Sqft (give or take a couple hundred). I am just trying to find out what the cheapest route possible would be and then upgrade in areas I want as cost allows. Also any of the modulars I have been around are all build with 2x6s instead of most normal 2x4 houses. Just because the fact they have to transport the sections. I know a couple people with 300k+ custom built modular houses. I would never be able to tell that they were modulars at all.

One problem you'll run into with modular and mobile is that a lot of locations in the area have restrictions against them. We ran into that 2 years ago when we were gonna get land and build. We ended up using Wayne homes because in the end they were cheaper than modular home builders were charging and no restrictions on a stick built home other than minimum size and roof pitch restrictions hehe. I'm up in Morrow County and I guess they don't want to add to the already high number of total shit hole houses up here.

I am in no way getting anything close to a mobile home. I am just talking a modular, meaning pre built in a factory and shipped in sections. There are a lot of them that go up out my way.

Check out Wayne Homes.

$100/sq ft should get you a nice house.

When dad built his last custom house in 2002, he built it for $70/sq ft with corian, 6 panel doors, etc. With the way the economy is, you should be able to get something real nice for $90/sq ft.

Although the cost of building hasn't gone down, the # of housing starts has slowed very dramatically due to the # of existing homes on the market.

Also, you have to budget running electric, water, phone, gas, sewer, cable, and driveway to your place, about $10-$25k depending on how deep you are.