How did you learn?

Guest Hal

Brian's thread made me think about this one.

How did you learn to work on cars?

Personally I've always been mechanical and I just started doing work as often as I could. Once I got older I went to tech school which created a nice foundation for future work.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Met people who knew a lot more about cars than I did. Started learning from them some small stuff, then started doing things on my own (oil changes, brakes, suspension, minor engine modifications, etc.). I still don't know how to tear down and rebuild a motor, but I'm sure I'll get there sooner or later.

im still learning. i can do the general crap but in the last year and a half ive started to try to do some of the harder stuff. slow process of trial an error but m back problems are what hinder me most of the time form completing or even starting it. ahh

Watched my dad work on cars in the garage and then began to help him. That led to tearing apart my car on my own and if I had any questions I would go inside and ask. Only thing that sucked was I became the designated oil changer for the five vehicles at the house.

I bought the FD and Howard showed me how to change the oil. 3 years ago I had never worked on anything and I would not say I'm strong when it comes to mechanical things.

From there I planned a build mapped out by Rotarded with tuning by Tony. Rotarded has taught me a ton.

I have also had a lot of help from Luke, Vil(and posse), Zayvier(and Jason), Carl,and of course Tony. These are the RX7 only guys.

All around, Jesse(Troublemaker) and Eric Allen, have helped me and shown me how to do some wiring and just how shit works.

All these are people I have met through CR and would not have known other wise.

Completely on my own basically. I didnt grow up in a mechanic family or anything, and am actually pretty much the only person in my family who truly enjoys working on, being around, driving, etc. cars. I learned everything I know on the lude and am going to C-state doing their automotive program.

grew up watching my dad work on cars every weekend, and my best friends dad owned/raced a super late model at columbus motor speedway, being around that car plus the smell of race gas got me hooked, went to tech school got a job at a dealership and here I am

what i can do i learned on my own. started modding a new car i bought at 18, and pretty much looked at it like a big puzzle. like a couple mentioned, i cant tear down an engine, but im happy with some of the stuff i did accomplish i never thought i'd be able to

My dad worked at a dealership, id walk after school over to his work and watch him, was always over at my grandpas, had 3 MG's. Going to columbus motor speed way with my dad every week end. Then bought a car that had everything wrong with it. So its the perfect car to learn on. Now i go to school for it.

I was taught by my dad when I was around 5 He started building the motor/trans for the GS before I was six I knew what everything under the hood was and what it did, then of course when I was 19 or 20 I bought the 5.0 and between buying and selling and having friends own them I have dealt with about 20 of them.

So mad props to my dad thanks dad.

I grew up with my Dad owning modded Mustangs, then going to Trails with the Mach 1 and auto-x with the SVO.

As I got older and got my own car ('78 Caprice FTW) he helped me maintain it. When I joined the Navy, I would call him when I needed help and eventually started doing things without his advice in the base Auto Hobby Shop, which is where I picked up my independent skills from manuals and the shop techs. They were further refined once I joined a car club in Jax and was doing the modding thing.