have you turned on your home a/c yet?

we turned ours on last night.. Not because we were hot.. but because we were sticky. I dont like that i cant cuddle up with my hubby because i dont want to peel myself off of him. Probably will turn it off this evening, if it cools off outside

We have a split level as well.

Setting the AC is trick (heat as well) The thermostat is on the main floor.. Top fllor is usually 5 Degree's hotter so we try to keep the bedroom at 70, but this puts the basement at 66-68 with vents closed, it gets allmost too chilly down there and i am usually wearing pants, then have to go to bed and am hot.

Needless to say this will be our LAST split level.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our house hit 85 today so I broke down and turned it on.

I did the same thing...wife had the whole house attic fan on, and I came in yesterday to the thermostat saying "85". I told her I appreciated her frugality, but we can turn the A/C on now.

I keep it at 78*. I used to have it lower (70-72*), but since we moved back from FL I've had a higher tolerance to heat. :)

Yep since my windows are worthless it is the same temp inside as it is outside. Right now my house is 80F. I set the a/c any lower then that it runs constantly. I need new windows desperately.

ive had mine on for a week or so. it is recommended that you have your a/c checked each season to help prevent future problems, alltho not everything can be prevented. if your low on freon ect., you can catch it from the get go. also, when you turn your a/c on and off, it makes the equipment work twice as hard. not really good on the equipment, because it has to pull all the humidity back out of the house, and its alot cheeper on the wallet to just leave it on. usually when i turn mine on, its on for all summer. my bill is usually 50-60 dollars a month in the summer. also, covering the unit causes the unit to hold moisture and starts the rusting quick. anyways, i tell all my customers this. if any1 needs a check, just let me know................

I've had mine off and on for a month or two. With a bi-level house, cooling sucks ass. When it gets 75 outside, its' about 80 in the house, with all the windows open. The way the house sits, we dont' get much ventalation through the house.

Ours is a bi-level too. The front of our house gets pummeled with the sun all day. Lower level stays fairly cool, upper level is like an oven.

Mine's a capecod, so my upstairs get hot as hell, the first floor is decent,and the basment stays nice and cool. Lately I've been opening the windows upstairs and turning a fan on for an hour or two before we go to bed and it's fine.

Mine's been cranking since the temps broke the 50's and runs 24/7 at 68 degrees as the roommate is a pussy about it being "hot" in the apartment, not my problem as the electric bill is in his name and I only pay what I feel is fair.

You should talk to Z06G!

We were quoted an insane amount of money for it..The lady before us never changed or never had a filter in the furnace at all and the a/c unit was covered in leaves and nasty shit the guy said it needs replaced due to it being compromised. We have a home warranty but they are fucking us due to the no filter.

We were quoted an insane amount of money for it..The lady before us never changed or never had a filter in the furnace at all and the a/c unit was covered in leaves and nasty shit the guy said it needs replaced due to it being compromised. We have a home warranty but they are fucking us due to the no filter.

I paid about $3g's for my high efficiency AC unit about 2years ago. It sucked, but the one I replaced was from 1986, so hopefully I get that use out of mine. I went with a Lennox Elite.

The one in our house is circa 1986 :lol:

Ours is from the late 70's and is barely big enough to cool the square footage we have. I was going to replace it but with cutbacks at work I think i'll hold off.