G35 in snow? New tires?

AWW$HEEET

Anyone with a G35, or 350z ever braved the winter with one of these? Gf is going to experience her first winter driving a rwd car for the 1st time with this beast it looks like.

Infiniti tried selling her some $2k package of tires, etc. Not sure if it included wheels or not. Can anyone at NTB confirm what a decent set of winter rubber will run for this thing? Just dont want her running these low pro's and taking out a guardrail...

thx

What size wheels on the G35?

I ran 18" Dunlop Wintersport M3's on the M3 the one winter we actually used it in inclimate conditions (OK...we really only drove it a couple times in the snow but that still counts). I liked them well enough.

The same tires will be going on the E55 for this winter.

If the car has 18's there's options available to still use the stock wheels if you don't want to drop the coin for a second set of wheels. The second set sure makes life much easier when it comes to swapping to the summer setup though.

Andy

The second set sure makes life much easier when it comes to swapping to the summer setup though.

I ran summer tires in the summer and all season in the winter part of the time I had the s4 both on 1 set of stock rims. I will never do that again. I would procrastinate because it was such a paint to use the same rims. I would procrastinate so much that usually the first snow fall I still had on summer tires. Then I would drive and almost kill myself and switch over.

If I ever do summers and all season/winters I will get a second set of rims, even if they are just steelies.

I can't comment on how that car would do with all seasons. But if it has summer tires on it, get them off now. Even with AWD summer tires have just about zero traction in the snow. I can't imagine trying to do FWD or RWD in the snow with summer tires. She (and just about ever person) will probably wreck at the first snow fall if it has summer tires on it... or just not be able to get out of the parking lot/neighborhood.

Someone on here said that last year once it snowed there was a month wait on tire rack for winter tires.

The G35 will suck in the snow with anything but snow tires on it.

I swapped to rims and tires on the Benz Friday afternoon. Dunlop Wintersports FTW.

Last summer I surfed Craigslist to find a full set of Benz ML350 16 inch rims ($100 in Dayton), and a nearly new set of 4 Wintersports ($125 in Westerville). Including mounting ,balancing, and wheel studs, I have less that $300 in the whole package. I checked the tread depth on Friday. I will most likely get 3 more seasons from the tires.

After our first decent snow last winter I watched my neighbor try to get up his lightly-inclined driveway in his then-new G35. He tried about 20 times, different starting speeds, angles. He finally parked it on the street. That night, the snow plows came through and buried it in about 6-8". He couldn't drive it out, had to shovel the whole thing.

A week later, we got a bigger snow. Same effort, same failure, only this time he got stuck at the bottom of the driveway, halfway out in the street. I pulled him out with the Trailblazer, noted his regular radials, and told him how great winter tires were on previous vehicles.

Couple weeks later, more snow. He got right up the driveway, first shot. I walked over to joke about it and he had a brand new set of Blizzak's. ;)

Blizzak's are awesome. Wife's Catera wouldnt move for shit in the little bit of snow we had last year on some All Season tires. Picked up a set of Blizzak's and she never had a problem again. A lot of people were trying to tell me that any snow tire would be pretty noisey, they were wrong. I highly recommend them.

Guest tbutera2112
yep those driveways can be a bitch. Ive parked, got out, and went inside only to look outside a couple hours later to see the car 1/2 way into the street lol...no it wasnt all that steep

lol parked my truck last year and got out and it started sliding down my driveway

lol parked my truck last year and got out and it started sliding down my driveway

lol my drive way is about as "steep" as yours which isant very much at all an my car slides down all the time lol. the expedtion has noooo issues what so ever cause of its weight an tires btu my car suckssss

my srt used to just be horrid i got a set of blizzicks an omg i was able to go 65 on the freeway with no issues

My stock Badyears left me in a serious bind last winter. In order to get up my driveway, I'd have to burnout so much that I finally hit concrete instead of snow, then the car would start moving, then I'd have a buddy jump out and push it the rest of the way up otherwise it would just start sliding backwards. Oh, and my driveway is only a 10* incline.

Thanks for nothing Goodyear!

That, my friends, is why 4WD low rocks. 3' snow bank plowed in front of my driveway, 12" of snow in the driveway, 1 Trailblazer pounded through it and sitting in the driveway. :)

LOL +1, my dad's suburban didn't think twice about pulling my mazda3 out of my old apartment parking lot a couple years back.

I know a few that switch out to blizzaks and do just fine, I mean obviously its not going to perform like a FWD or AWD, so she'll still have to be careful, but its doable.

I dont even bother with it and bought a cherokee for the winter.

Blizzaks are not the best, nor are they the cheapest. they are just the name everyone knows. Most snow tires will treat you well. Read the reviews...

Drove a Mini cooper S last winter in the snow with Nokian Hakkapeliitta's they come from Sweden and they were awesome. Just as good as Blizzaks, heck General has a snow tire out now that got better ratings and it's cheaper.

Probably want a smaller set of wheels than what are on the car now so you can get a thicker sidewall then read some reviews through tirerack and you'll be fine. 2K seems really steep for a winter tire package.

I've used both the Blizzak LM25's, and the Wintersport 3D's. You can't go wrong with either. Both give up very little to nothing vs a sporting all season, and you feel comortable hitting the on/offramps like you normally would.

I give a small advantage to the 3D's in evacuation of slush. Them seemed to fair better when plowing through the thick wet stuff. Of course, this is just my opinion, and they will vary person to person.

Once you experience winter tires, you'll never be without them again..